Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.70.132
Sign in to follow this  
chepper.jones

Airvpn Client random ICMP traffic

I just notice that when I start airvpn client some ICMP echo request packets are generated to random servers, and some replies. It is just after opening the client. I can be logged in or Logged out BUT before connecting to a server to establish the VPN connection. As soon as I establish the VPN, ICMP traffic stops. I regularly connect to Airvpn through TOR network, but those ICMP packets are not being routed through TOR, thats my concern.

Nslookup to some of the IPs as an example:

Non-authoritative answer:

34.147.241.199.in-addr.arpa name = server3.hugeserver.com.

178.55.44.173.in-addr.arpa name = 173.44.55.178.static.quadranet.com.

138.44.120.64.in-addr.arpa name = 64.120.44.138.rdns.ubiquity.io.

Can anyone explain that?

Thanks in advance.

This is not random ICMP traffic. This is ICMP traffic generated by the Eddie client to determine your current latency to each and every server.

The client will ping every server in every location and then determine which one is the best for you, based on multiple algorithms.

After you connect to a server, this step is no longer necessary so this is stopped until the next server refresh.

This option is configurable and can be disabled, however you will then lose a great advantage AirVPN provides over other services,

which is knowing exactly what servers are best performing, according to your current location and current server load, in realtime.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Ok, good, I just disable it and I don't see icmp echoes again.

This feature can be disable in PREFERENCES--> ADVANCE--> uncheck "Enable Pinger / Latency tests".

Thanks.