Not connected, Your IP: 44.195.30.216
Jefkim666

Noob needs advice on new Router

As said in title. Currently I'm using an Asus RT-AC66U (CPU: Broadcom BCM4706KPBG MIPS74K, @600MHz; Flash: Samsung K9F1G08U0D-SCB0 128MB, SLC;  RAM: 2x Samsung K4T1G164QF-BCF7 256MB, DDR2 @800MHz) I have no problem at all while using separate clients, but I want to setup a VPN-client on (in?) the router so the whole household is 'protected' This router is not able to handle a 200Mb/20Mb (possible 300/30 in the nearby feature) line and I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Searching the forum does not help much, I'm not tech-shavy enough to build a pfsense machine (apart from my wife who won't allow an extra PC running 24/7) and Linux is something I've only heard of. I did narrow my search to 2 possibility's: The illustrious RT-AC5300 or his counterpart the Nighthawk X8 AC5300. Both are in the same price-range so it really comes down to the specs. And that is where I need advice from you all.

you won't be happy with what those routers can do for you.

build a low power pfsense box with a CPU/APU that has AES-NI.  I wonder if the power usage would really be more than an AC5300 router considering all the radios that are powered in that router in addition to CPU?? 

I set my pfsense box to throttle the CPU to minimal power mode, only 1400mhz, and it can still do at least 120mbit/s openvpn.  that's just my line max.

I'd never built a PC before but it was actually very easy.  and it was easy to install pfsense.

don't confuse things here.  installing linux on a PC is another task down the road I think.  for now a router gateway firewall with pfsense is the need.

pfsense has web pages that should be enough to show you how to install pfsense.  after that the interface is a web page GUI.  there's no need to learn linux.

@cm0s:

No offence taken. You're absolutely right, I'm not as nooby as I may have sounded. But the experiments I have done with Linux (puppy; mint) haven't really been a success, so if I can avoid to heap things up....

And, as in most households probably, trying to get my wife and daughter to switch to Linux instead of the 'convenient' MS-stuff

I've found an old motherboard, looking for a second NIC in the dumpster called my attic and off I'll go. Without any studying so far: can I run pfsence from a thumbstick? If not I have to dig deeper in aforementioned dumpster.

Go straight to pfSense. On pfSense forums, in Hardware section, you will find easy solutions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)

Someone here has the signature "Friends don't let friends use consumer networking equipment." That quote sums up this entire ideal.

pfSense is a game changer for you once you get it setup. You can do basically anything with it. And that cannot be said for the best consumer routers.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Go straight to pfSense. On pfSense forums, in Hardware section, you will find easy solutions.

This. Found the SG-2220, and I think this is what I'm looking for. Just plug and pray, Home-made might be more appreciated here, but I like straight from the shelf better. Thanks everybody for replying.

@Jefkim666 That box is excellent, I build mine because I love to do it.....my box is based on Supermicro A1SRi-2558.

- Router/Firewall pfSense 23.01 (11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11320H @ 3.20GHz)

- Switch Cisco SG350-10

- AP Netgear RAX200 (Stock FW)

- NAS Synology DS1621+ (5 x 5TB WD Red)

- ISP: Fiber 1000/300 (PPPoE)

Hello !

OP did you ever complete your mission? I think it would be interesting to get an update and perhaps see how you experienced things :].

Maybe you'll have some tips for others to share as well.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello !

OP did you ever complete your mission? I think it would be interesting to get an update and perhaps see how you experienced things :].

Hi,

Like I said in my post, it took a while to have one shipped to the Netherlands (mostly due to a lack of credit-card) But I got one from Germany for a €275,00 ($300,00; £230). Setting up is straight forward, IMHO you can't get it more Noob-friendly. I had it running in less than half an hour. Mind you, the one I got is pre-installed and 'optimized' with a web-based UI. I guess a simpler system where you only have command line would give more trouble.

I'm getting full speed or more at every speedtest site (200Mb/s line) and +/-  136 Mb/s on usenet. Torrenting seems to be a status aparte, because it never reaches anything near possible speeds. So, if anyone is looking for a out of the box solution, I would definitely recommand this one despite the price.

Hello !

Hi,

Like I said in my post, it took a while to have one shipped to the Netherlands (mostly due to a lack of credit-card) But I got one from Germany for a €275,00 ($300,00; £230). Setting up is straight forward, IMHO you can't get it more Noob-friendly. I had it running in less than half an hour. Mind you, the one I got is pre-installed and 'optimized' with a web-based UI. I guess a simpler system where you only have command line would give more trouble.

I'm getting full speed or more at every speedtest site (200Mb/s line) and +/-  136 Mb/s on usenet. Torrenting seems to be a status aparte, because it never reaches anything near possible speeds. So, if anyone is looking for a out of the box solution, I would definitely recommand this one despite the price.

That is rather decent speed, to clarify you went with https://store.pfsense.org/SG-2220/ ?

Cool, thanks for updating us OP. It's good to hear you had great success with it !

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.