Not connected, Your IP: 3.90.242.249
Sign in to follow this  
rbecenti

USA site detected that I was not in USA.

I accessed a tv network site in the USA and was able to watch tv shows on that site. But the next day when I tried, I got a message informing me that the video I wanted to watch was not available to viewers in my region.

I was able to go to other sites successfully but this one particular US site detected I was not sitting in the USA.

What should I do? What do I need to adjust (within my computer and/or AirVPN) to be able to get access to this US Site?

Please note that I am not violating any copyright laws - not dowloading illegal videos. I am a US citizen and pay US taxes but live abroad.

It is just this particular site that blocks users who are not sitting in the US.

I accessed a tv network site in the USA and was able to watch tv shows on that site. But the next day when I tried, I got a message informing me that the video I wanted to watch was not available to viewers in my region.

I was able to go to other sites successfully but this one particular US site detected I was not sitting in the USA.

What should I do? What do I need to adjust (within my computer and/or AirVPN) to be able to get access to this US Site?

Please note that I am not violating any copyright laws - not dowloading illegal videos. I am a US citizen and pay US taxes but live abroad.

It is just this particular site that blocks users who are not sitting in the US.

Hello!

Can you please tell us which site does that? We'll look into the issue.

In the meantime, if you were using Vega please switch to Sirius, and vice versa, to see whether this fixes the problem.

We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Yeah, while connected to Vega, Google thinks I'm from Hong Kong. SpeedTest thinks I'm from Washington.

While connected to Sirius, Google has no idea where I'm from but SpeedTest thinks I'm in London!

Yeah, while connected to Vega, Google thinks I'm from Hong Kong. SpeedTest thinks I'm from Washington.

While connected to Sirius, Google has no idea where I'm from but SpeedTest thinks I'm in London!

Hello!

It looks like geolocalization of those services needs improvements! :)

We have verified that CBS, Hulu, Pandora and Netflix are accessible from Sirius and Vega.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information and support.

Kind regards

Helpdesk, your suggestion (problem# 268) really worked!! You guys are awesome, many thanks!!!

Warm regards,

Roger

Hi,

With both servers, I'm able to watch netflix and hulu. But CBS does not recognize me coming from US.

Hello!

CBS is perfectly accessible both from Vega and Sirius. Perhaps you have a leak from some program that disclose that you are not in the USA to the CBS tests. The usual suspects are the browser and its plugins. If you use Windows, avoid Internet Explorer at all costs.

Kind regards

Hi,

I tried Firefox in safe mode (all add-ons disable) and Chrome, all cannot watch CBS.

With above browsers, it works perfectly with netflix and hulu.

Please help.

Hi,

I tried Firefox in safe mode (all add-ons disable) and Chrome, all cannot watch CBS.

With above browsers, it works perfectly with netflix and hulu.

Please help.

Hello!

We once again confirm that CBS is perfectly accessible from Vega and Sirius. Therefore, it remains to be seen what your system is leaking.

Please note that to watch CBS with Firefox in Windows, you can't have all plug-ins disabled, because you need Flash. You might monitor your connections with tools like Wireshark to determine if there's a leak of some sort. You can also install Comodo Firewall and block all the outgoing packets not coming from 10.4.0.0->10.4.255.255 IP range to see whether this fixes the issue. See also https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=1713&Itemid=142#1715

Once you are sure that there's no leak from the tunnel, examine carefully the Firefox behaviour. Try different browsers and make sure that the referrer browser string does not contain anything other than english/USA related (you can use the add-on RefControl to do that on Firefox), just in case CBS checks that.

Feel free to keep us posted.

Kind regards

Unfortunately this isn't solving the problem (for me).

I even tried blocking every connection except for the above said ip range globally with comodo, but CBS' still not working.

Any further suggestions?

Unfortunately this isn't solving the problem (for me).

I even tried blocking every connection except for the above said ip range globally with comodo, but CBS' still not working.

Any further suggestions?

Hello!

Does it happen for you both with Vega and Sirius?

Kind regards

With Sirius. Vega isn't working for me (connection establishes fine, but requests won't be answered afterwards [uploaded kib increasing slowly, downloaded kib not at all])

Hi,

With both servers, I'm able to watch netflix and hulu. But CBS does not recognize me coming from US.

Hello!

CBS is perfectly accessible both from Vega and Sirius. Perhaps you have a leak from some program that disclose that you are not in the USA to the CBS tests. The usual suspects are the browser and its plugins. If you use Windows, avoid Internet Explorer at all costs.

Kind regards

I'm a bit confused by this explanation. I thought, unlike proxies, VPNs do not "leak" IP addresses due to plugins or browsers? If the whole Internet is encrypted, why should it matter if one uses Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome?

So you are suggesting that when using Flash a VPN can leak an IP? How can this be?

Could a VPN leak a VoIP connection and P2P file sharing?

Perhaps you can explain to use how a VPN can leak and why?

Hi,

Hello!

Kind regards

I'm a bit confused by this explanation. I thought, unlike proxies, VPNs do not "leak" IP addresses due to plugins or browsers? If the whole Internet is encrypted, why should it matter if one uses Internet Explorer or Firefox or Chrome?

So you are suggesting that when using Flash a VPN can leak an IP? How can this be?

Could a VPN leak a VoIP connection and P2P file sharing?

Perhaps you can explain to use how a VPN can leak and why?

Hello!

Since we can't reproduce the behavior with CBS, we suggested that maybe CBS performs further checks based not only on the IP address, but also in the "Accept Language" field of the HTTP request. However, even setting "Accept Language" different from "en-us" did not allow us to reproduce the behavior and CBS worked flawlessly.

For information and guides about how to prevent IP leaks in case of accidental VPN disconnections:

https://airvpn.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=3&id=1713&Itemid=142

A possible leak even when connected is theoretically possible if you let malware run with root/administrator privileges. The malware may read all the details of the network interfaces when you are connected and when you are disconnected and then send such information and any additional information to some server around the world, allowing an opponent to correlate your connections and disclose your real IP. Please keep in mind that a VPN service must never be considered and antivirus or antimalware tool, we secure your connection up to our servers, not your computer, as you probably already know from our ToS.

Kind regards

VPNs are similar to proxies in that they redirect and encrypt traffic between your computer/router to the proxy/VPN server. They do not modify the traffic itself. Pretty much all browsers and plugins can and do carry identifiable information that are not modified by VPN/proxies. For example, browsers can inform the server of not only what browser you are using, but OS, screen resolution, what plugins you have installed, and those plugins are notorious for leaking identifiable info, including your true IP.

VPNs are similar to proxies in that they redirect and encrypt traffic between your computer/router to the proxy/VPN server. They do not modify the traffic itself. Pretty much all browsers and plugins can and do carry identifiable information that are not modified by VPN/proxies. For example, browsers can inform the server of not only what browser you are using, but OS, screen resolution, what plugins you have installed, and those plugins are notorious for leaking identifiable info, including your true IP.

Let me clarify something. I understand all of this. I'm not a novice at all at any of this. I would also point out that few proxies are encrypted, with Tor being the most famous.

With proxies it is generally needed to use a socksifier, firewall rules, iptables, etc to avoid leaks due to plugins. However, VPNs do not need such tools. Though it is absolutely true that active content can read a lot about one's browser, including OS, time, and what not, it cannot leak an IP if using those tools or a VPN.

My confusion lied in that the admin made it seem that CBS was possibly leaking the VPN tunnel via browser settings and/or program settings. Now, frankly, Internet Explorer is a security nightmare, closed source, and is not recommended. But I didn't think a VPN would leak if using Internet Explorer, though it can with some proxy settings.

VPNs can have some leaks like DNS and certain malware and what not, but I have never heard of it leaking via plugins or browsers.

What I believe Admin is saying is that CBS may have requested your Flash or Silverlight plugin to divulge information about you such as IP address as part of DRM mechanism. This is not something VPNs or proxies can prevent. The VPN itself isn't leaking anything, It's done its' job. The leak is coming from the browser or plugin.

What I believe Admin is saying is that CBS may have requested your Flash or Silverlight plugin to divulge information about you such as IP address as part of DRM mechanism. This is not something VPNs or proxies can prevent. The VPN itself isn't leaking anything, It's done its' job. The leak is coming from the browser or plugin.

Hello!

We are also suggesting that even though there's no IP leak, CBS has some further control which is not based on IP geolocation. Keep in mind that we are just speculating because we confirm that we are totally unable to reproduce the behavior, but considering that the two customers who are facing this problem can access Hulu and Netflix, we strongly suspect that it's caused by something not related to IP geolocation.

@mogli At this step, if you can't manage to solve the problem it would be interesting to test your configuration, at your convenience please feel free to contact us with the "Contact us" form in the "Support" menu if you prefer not to discuss it in a public forum.

Kind regards

Well, I've just done some testing on my own and noticed, that pinging IPs went fine, but resolving domains was a problem.

Knowing that, I set a DNS entry manually and tadaa, everything works fine with Vega, even cbs!

Well, I've just done some testing on my own and noticed, that pinging IPs went fine, but resolving domains was a problem.

Knowing that, I set a DNS entry manually and tadaa, everything works fine with Vega, even cbs!

when cbs thought you was not in the usa did the site reveal your real ip address?

because i am wondering if it is possible for sites to do traceroutes and ping the tcp/ip stacks to get the ip via the plugins especially flash

Plugins such as Flash can and often do reveal your real IP address from what I know.

Hello!

Yes, but not with OpenVPN.

Have you ever managed to disclose a real IP address from a client behind an OpenVPN server with Flash? If so, in which environment?

Kind regards

do you know of any sites that can check for any ip leaks so i can test my settings?

Hello!

About web sites, you might like to check for DNS leaks here while your system is connected to an Air VPN server:

http://dnsleaktest.com

If you run a torrent client, you can check that there are no leaks here (remember to launch your torrent client AFTER your system is connected to the VPN:

http://checkmytorrentip.com/

For a general check of a successful connection, see your client logs, also browse to our web site from the connected to the VPN system and look at the central bottom box, it must be green showing "Connected!" and the server name your system is connected to.

Kind regards