Not connected, Your IP: 18.220.160.216
Sign in to follow this  
Booqpwng

Portable (Non-Mono) client becomes unresponsive in Xubuntu 16.04

Hello,

I've seen the posts about issues with installing the .deb package of the AirVPN client for the latest Ubuntu LTS release. I downloaded and have tried to run the non-Mono .tar.gz Portable client, however, this version of the client becomes unresponsive shortly after opening it. And by unresponsive I mean that it fails to respond to any input and I'm ultimately forced to kill the application. I've only ever gotten as far as logging in with my credentials before the application fails.

This is all particularly annoying since I just renewed my AirVPN subscription. I understand that there are some issues with the .deb version of the client at the moment. But I refuse to utilize AirVPN (or any VPN) through network-manager. Are there any plans to update the .deb client for compatibility with the latest LTS Ubuntu release? Any idea what this issue with the portable version on Xubuntu could be? Again, I'm on Xubuntu 16.04.

I'd really hate to have to find another VPN service because of this.

Thanks for your help.

Question: how do you install the portable without mono? I'm still new to linux and don't usually manually install files and just use apt-get and or synaptic usually or download them and if they install themeselves it's easier. Quick little guide would be nice! I was proud I manually configured my vpn through the network manager though and it has no leaks, which wasn't too hard but I would like the options that come with the client. Please reply when you have time, thanks.

Question: how do you install the portable without mono? I'm still new to linux and don't usually manually install files and just use apt-get and or synaptic usually or download them and if they install themeselves it's easier. Quick little guide would be nice! I was proud I manually configured my vpn through the network manager though and it has no leaks, which wasn't too hard but I would like the options that come with the client. Please reply when you have time, thanks.

You don't install anything. You just extract it from the compressed file and then run the binary. Which would be fine--if it worked at all.

You don't install anything. You just extract it from the compressed file and then run the binary. Which would be fine--if it worked at all.

Hello,

Eddie portable version not requiring Mono works perfectly in Ubuntu 16.04, so it appears strange that you find issues in Xubuntu. Your quoted reply is ambiguous, are you sure that you have decompressed the whole tarball (and not only a single executable file) into a folder created for the purpose?

Kind regards

Hello,

I wanted to report back that I finally got the Portable client working on two machines running Xubuntu 16.04. It took a couple of tries of getting logged in and setting my preferences and having to kill the application in between tries when it would freeze. But, ultimately, I now have it working.

It looks like that there are an additional one or two files in the portable client's folder now. I'm guessing these are generated upon running the client and logging in and setting preferences? Perhaps there was merely some issue with getting an initial setup and running of the portable client. It works fine now with repeated uses.

Very weird, I know. Thanks for the help though!