Not connected, Your IP: 54.224.100.102
zhang888

Man using HMA to harass ex-girlfriend arrested

Source:

http://www.hacker10.com/internet-anonymity/man-using-hidemyass-vpn-to-harass-ex-girlfriend-arrested/

P.S.

Note that this popular provider was acquired last year by AVG.

While I have no way to verify the authenticity of this story, the lesson to take home is that a provider that

was keeping logs in 2011, is likely to do the so in the future, no matter what they are claiming.

Try to avoid being lured by providers who offer cheap prices and large availability of countries, this usually

comes at a price of your privacy. Remember that only a small amount of cases actually reach the media.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Try to avoid being lured by providers who offer cheap prices and large availability of countries, this usually

comes at a price of your privacy. Remember that only a small amount of cases actually reach the media.

Good remark zhang888 - HMA is not trustworthy! They lie about logs!

DO NOT USE HIDE MY ASS - it's everything a VPN is not supposed to be.<> see: https://www.reddit.com/r/torrents/comments/1lpey9/just_learned_why_hide_my_ass_is_such_an_awful/

And http://www.zdnet.com/article/hide-my-ass-throws-light-on-lulzsec-logs/?_escaped_fragment_=#!

Or search with hidemyass keep logs.

I have nothing to hide, but that's nobody's business!

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.
John Lennon
The further a society drift from truth the more it will hate those that speak it.
George Orwell

Every VPN which says that it will protect me against hack attacks will log. Also, its known that providers like vypervpn, cyberghost and HMA do indeed log. Gonna stay loyal to airvpn.

I trust Air as well.  Still, any privacy/security connectivity needs should be wrapped in a "partition of trust".  Air states so as well!

I'm probably the only one, but I find it amusing that a judge who's supposed to know the law would use a flawed service like HMA which is a public company that everyone knows about these days including offering free services although limited they got them so thinking they would make him anonymous is quite hillarious

Before joining AirVPN, I was with HideMyAss for about two days, worst experience ever.

The servers were terribly slow, they never gave me my refund when I asked for it, and most of the servers were blocked or flagged as spam on big websites. Everyone who is reading this, stay away from HMA.

Every VPN which says that it will protect me against hack attacks will log. Also, its known that providers like vypervpn, cyberghost and HMA do indeed log. Gonna stay loyal to airvpn.

While vyper and HMA have a poor reputation in that regard, I think you will find that Cyberghost are trustworthy, publishing a very full warrant canary and going to great lengths to detail the ways in which they do not log. They moved their operation from Germany to Romania so as to avoid any possible problems of that sort. |Their transparency report is here - https://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_gb/transparency-report

Do you have any evidence to support your claim other than "Its known"?

CyberGhost use a horrible bad configuration: MD5 HMAC and 2048 bit RSA. As a bonus they have a fantastic 1024 bit RSA certificate signed with MD5.

Also they do not even have different entry and exit IPs on their servers.

It's nothing new, that HideMyAss logs and delivers user-data to authorities when asked.
I ask myself why people still go there hoping for anonymity... - didn't they hear from LulzSec-case?

Same with CyberGhost, but they at least tell their customers from beginning that they'll hand over data to governments and feds if asked to do so.

When I look at Google VPN-comparison results - the first ten sites you can totally igonore, because they'll all rate those providers mentioned above as good.
I think there is a lot of money involved...

As far as I am concerned - I'm pretty sure that EVERY VPN provider says that they allegedly don't log -I'm pretty sure every VPN-provider logs.
The question is just will they hand out data if asked so.

And there you are on your, who can you trust is the question. Best is to take a VPN Provider far away, best not in U.S. because they even have laws to log users activity.
Also EU I would not recommend - but Air is a little different case, as they sit in Italy, where the laws are a little different.

It's always the same discussion - for years now....

regards,
me

It's nothing new, that HideMyAss logs and delivers user-data to authorities when asked.

I ask myself why people still go there hoping for anonymity... - didn't they hear from LulzSec-case?

Same with CyberGhost, but they at least tell their customers from beginning that they'll hand over data to governments and feds if asked to do so.

When I look at Google VPN-comparison results - the first ten sites you can totally igonore, because they'll all rate those providers mentioned above as good.

I think there is a lot of money involved...

As far as I am concerned - I'm pretty sure that EVERY VPN provider says that they allegedly don't log -I'm pretty sure every VPN-provider logs.

The question is just will they hand out data if asked so.

And there you are on your, who can you trust is the question. Best is to take a VPN Provider far away, best not in U.S. because they even have laws to log users activity.

Also EU I would not recommend - but Air is a little different case, as they sit in Italy, where the laws are a little different.

It's always the same discussion - for years now....

regards,

me

Hello!

Saying all-VPNs log can be a little misleading, in the sense that it depends on how broadly you define log. You could say you don't "log" if you merely do real-time analysis or "logging" - which may be inevitable with regards to VPNs. But that doesn't mean they keep the logs, share them, analyse them or attempt to collect a lot of them, which is very important .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello!

Saying all-VPNs log can be a little misleading, in the sense that it depends on how broadly you define log. You could say you don't "log" if you merely do real-time analysis or "logging" - which may be inevitable with regards to VPNs. But that doesn't mean they keep the logs, share them, analyse them or attempt to collect a lot of them, which is very important .

Yes ofc - I don't mean they all log your complete informations.

But I think that each VPN-Provider wants to know that their users are doing - and if it is only for optimizing their services.

As a VPN Provider I would like to know some things that I can only know when I log some things.

As a VPN Provider I would like to know some things that I can only know when I log some things.

"There's some fruit that's only delicious when you mix it with some other fruit." This is how I understand it.

Would you kindly fill in the fruits? Or in this case, these "some things"?

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

"There's some fruit that's only delicious when you mix it with some other fruit." This is how I understand it.

Would you kindly fill in the fruits? Or in this case, these "some things"?

For example to calculate billings for the future investments, to see what's necessary.

You don't need to log traffic for this.

the discussion will take forever if we start it

other question: how do you know that amazon doesn't have backdoors in their servers or some sniffers or sth? ^^

P.S. in THIS world I don't trust anyone anymore... Did you know that cisco-router-supply from U.S. to overseas (China, EU, etc.) got intercepted on the ocean, where nobody sees it and the chips got changed to backdoored-ones?

Here the word "trojan-horse" truly gets it's original meaning back ;D

Actually we have come so far, that you can't even trust for example that your with your Smartphone really on your provider's original network.

They can fake whole networks, complete cellphone-towers (CANDYGRAM)...

Here a list of their nice tools: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_ANT_catalog

the discussion will take forever if we start it

It will take a single sentence to finish it because it's illogical to log you accessing google.com to calculate your bills. Except for when you have a traffic limit by which you are billed.

other question: how do you know that amazon doesn't have backdoors in their servers or some sniffers or sth? ^^

It's easy: I don't need to. Amazon is not used by AirVPN to host servers you can connect to.

Did you know that cisco-router-supply from U.S. to overseas (China, EU, etc.) got intercepted on the ocean, where nobody sees it and the chips got changed to backdoored-ones?

More than 2 years now.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

yea it's maybe like that...

However, at the end you have to trust somebody.
Only workarround would be to bulid an own server, bring it somwhere to russia or in other country to people you know and can trust and make your own VPN network.
Run your own DNS-Server and stuff where you delete everything by YOURSELF ;D