Not connected, Your IP: 44.197.214.36
pfSense_fan

How To Set Up pfSense 2.3 for AirVPN

Hello everybody, I will try to post a question here even if ,I am not sure I will get a reply.

I followed this guide by the letter and that's exactly how my network is setup:

ISP router -> pfSense router ip address 192.168.1.1 -> DD-WRT Router 192.168.2.1 -> all my devices are connected to the DD-WRT Router. NAS and 1 PC cabled to the DD-WRT router, all other devices wireless connection.

The issue I have is that after opening a port forwarding in AIRVPN (i have 2 port reserved) i cannot get connection on the port via the Torrent client installed on the NAS. and the Port Test in AIRVPN says there is no connection on the port.

I followed any different solution on this and other forums but I have never been successfull.

Any suggestion about how to solve my issue?

Thank you very much for your time

pfsense_fan helped me back in the day build and setup my router. Now somehow I screwed it up by changing some settings and now my vpn will not connect. Would love for an updated setup guide for pfsense 2.4 for a pfsense box for VPN and a regular Lan connection. Thanks

Need some help i was messing with my configs trying to change servers and messed up my vpn connection. Im running 2 connections off the pf sense box . One lan and one for airvpn. On my OpenVPN status page my vpn says it is up. On the pfsense main page though on my interfaces status my AIRVPN_Wan isn't showing an IP while my regular Wan connection is.

This is really frustrating any help would be appreciated.

pfsense_fan helped me back in the day build and setup my router. Now somehow I screwed it up by changing some settings and now my vpn will not connect. Would love for an updated setup guide for pfsense 2.4 for a pfsense box for VPN and a regular Lan connection. Thanks

https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-baseline-setup/

This is about the closest you'll get to an updated guide. It is fairly robust however.

https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-baseline-setup/

This is about the closest you'll get to an updated guide. It is fairly robust however.

That's what I use, working just great

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hi there, just two words.

1 - you should cut and paste the beginning of your 2.1 pfsense post. All considerations worth to be read before starting configuring.

2 - for myself I run pfsense on top of free ESXi on a Qotom micro PC with 4 intel lan. This is a low power low cost no fan powerfull device (i5) very handy for firewall + DMZ needs.

Hello,

2.4.4-RELEASE-p2 (arm64)

built on Wed Dec 12 14:40:29 EST 2018 

FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p6

Version information updated at Mon Apr 15 2:32:45 +06 2019

I have been following this forum conversation for some time and I have to say that there are many smart people that have put this setup of pfSense for AirVPN together!

I have been an AirVPN premium user for a few years now and really enjoy the privacy!  Now I have purchased the Netgate SG-1100 and added the AirVPN settings to my SG-1100 and just found this to be so awesome!  

I wanted to thank you for the work that you have done.

By the way, I also have AirVPN configured on two other routers at this time.  One is a ASUS - RT-N66U

and the other is a Netgear - Nighthawk R7000

Both use  AsusWRT-Merlin (XWRT/Cross-WRT) firmware and both operate very well with AirVPN programmed as the Client VPN.

Thanks again!  

Hello @pfSense_fan
Thank you for your very detailed and awesome guide.
Unfortunately, i wasnt able to make the vpn run on my pfsense. When i got to "Step 6" the pfsense did a reboot and would not let me login again to it :(
What have i done wrong? or should i not press "Apply changes" until i finish everything?

You have done something wrong in setting it up and following the instructions. 
The 2.3 guide works for the 2.4 setup. 
If you can't log in the pfsense you either set the antilockout rule wrong or you are not getting the right ip address. 

To be sure just plug the computer with a lan cable to the lan port of your pfsense box

2 hours ago, zapoteknico said:

You have done something wrong in setting it up and following the instructions. 
The 2.3 guide works for the 2.4 setup. 
If you can't log in the pfsense you either set the antilockout rule wrong or you are not getting the right ip address. 

To be sure just plug the computer with a lan cable to the lan port of your pfsense box

Hello
Actually i had my laptop plugged with  lan cable to the "mini pc (pfsense)" and i wasnt able to get to the pfsense site after the 6th step.
Which step is the Anti lockout rule to make sure i follow the steps very carefully?

Step 6F
NOTE: You should have two default firewall rules as well as the two associated NAT rules from our DNS and NTP redirection rules already set. The two default rules are the “anti-lockout rule” and a “default allow LAN to any” rule. Do not touch the anti-lockout rule. DELETE THE "DEFAULT ALLOW LAN TO ANY" RULE AT THIS TIME.

Bi the way... There is no reboot at step 6....why did you reboot?
My suggestion.... Just reinstall everything from scratch an follow the guide again 

Thank you Zapoteknico, i will give it a try tomorrow.
and sorry i didnt mean a reboot, just pressing "Apply changes".

Unpopular opinion:
Ditch pfSense and migrate to OPNsense.

Not only that it is way more community friendly, but it has much better UI and security.
HardenedBSD vs vanilla old FreeBSD, as well as many things that Netgate, the current owner of Pfsense,
doesn't like to implement. Just check the forums of both projects and see who is on top in 2019.
As a person who spoke negatively about it before, I now take my words back and welcome you to try it.

Also, as a way of philosophy, when a company makes a "community edition" of what used to be FOSS, run.

PF is probably fine but their focus now is business customers, which is apparent. At least Deciso (the forked)
company is making profits on hardware and software support, not software as-is like with Netgate and pfSense.

Maybe a complete guide will soon to come how to migrate or start from scratch.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

1 hour ago, zhang888 said:
...much better UI and security

Can you shed a light to the "better security" you mention? What specifically has been hardened? Has OPNsense been through the same independent reviews as pfSense has fairly recently? If so,  I'm not aware of those results, could you share?

I'm supportive of competition for sure as consumers generally win :)

27 minutes ago, dIecbasC said:

Can you shed a light to the "better security" you mention? What specifically has been hardened? Has OPNsense been through the same independent reviews as pfSense has fairly recently? If so,  I'm not aware of those results, could you share?

I'm supportive of competition for sure as consumers generally win :)

Possibly I can, but that will just become a topic where I prove my point, I don't want it to become this way.
I am not aware of any "special" audits of pfSense. The firewall is a fork of OpenBSD's pf, which is not really
the issue here. For ASLR and more technical terms, refer to your preferred search engine.
Everything is on the wiki:
https://wiki.opnsense.org/relations/hardenedbsd.html

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Thank you @zhang888 For your suggestion . I will switch once there is a guide how to run AirVPN on OPNsense. Im still noobie in the networking stuff :S :( i got lost many times while trying to setup airvpn for pfsense and no success so far xD :(

I was able to complete the guide. i paid attention to every step and got everything right (i hope). However, It doesnt connect to airvpn. i will attach photos for the OpenVPN log 

What have i done wrong Y_Y?! how can i fix it :(?

Not connected.png

log.png

Just now, Mad_Max said:

Thank you @zhang888 For your suggestion . I will switch once there is a guide how to run AirVPN on OPNsense. Im still noobie in the networking stuff :S :( i got lost many times while trying to setup airvpn for pfsense and no success so far xD :(

Are you still having difficulties?
I got it right the first time.... What's the problem now?

Just now, Mad_Max said:

I was able to complete the guide. i paid attention to every step and got everything right (i hope). However, It doesnt connect to airvpn. i will attach photos for the OpenVPN log 

What have i done wrong Y_Y?! how can i fix it :(?

Not connected.png

log.png

Can you post the OpenVpn Client configuration and the Gateway one?

Just now, zapoteknico said:
Are you still having difficulties?
I got it right the first time.... What's the problem now?
 Yes, i was able to finish all the steps right. but all my devices are not connected to internet, i checked pfsense and the vpn was not running.
i have attached pics in the reply above. could you please have a look at them?

4 minutes ago, Mad_Max said:
 Yes, i was able to finish all the steps right. but all my devices are not connected to internet, i checked pfsense and the vpn was not running.
i have attached pics in the reply above. could you please have a look at them?
By the way, you have something wrong setup in your WAN interface...
WAN shouldn't have the same IP address type... Your WAN is 192.168.1.11
Your Lan 192.168.1.1 
That's weird! 

likely behind another router or a modem not in a bridged mode hence the local address space allocation. 

1 minute ago, zapoteknico said:
By the way, you have something wrong setup in your WAN interface...
WAN shouldn't have the same IP address type... Your WAN is 192.168.1.11
Your Lan 192.168.1.1 
That's weird! 
My wan is 192.168.1.11 because its a cable from my router ( which has 10 clients connected to it and the pfsense is the 11th)

i got a screen shot of the OpenVPN config, but whats the gateway xD?