Not connected, Your IP: 54.210.83.20

Hello all - I'll apologise now if I'm missing something stupidly obvious here. I am a Sky Fibre user (VDSL), I've been keeping an eye on my down/up speeds recently when connected to VPN and not and I was wondering if the difference should be as great as this or if there's possibly a mis-configuration somewhere?

I'm running a BT VDSL modem connected to an Asus n66u wifi router running Merlin (380.57). Here are the speeds I'm getting:

Down: 28.455 Mbit/s Out, 7.604 Mbit/s In (26%), 20MB -
Up: 5.308 Mbit/s Out, 4.858 Mbit/s In (91%), 20MB -
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 20:34:45 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 141.82 secs

Now I can see that the upload speed isn't that different, obviously I expect a drop in speed when going through a VPN but the download speed looks to have a huge difference compared to upload.

Now I've tried creating different configs using the airvpn config generator, selecting by country, picking an individual server based on low load - I've even looked through other posts and tried picking the alternative TCP/UDP ports 2018.

Anyone any ideas I could possibly try please? I'm hoping I've put enough info above but please let me know if there is something missing that could be useful.

Thanks in advance.

If you connect with your router, they are known to be responsible for speed bottlenecks. In this case, try connecting with a computer.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Hello Giganerd - thank you very much for your reply. I didn't know that, sorry if I missed it posted elsewhere on the forum. I've connected using my computer and I get the following results now:

Down: 11.123 Mbit/s Out, 5.670 Mbit/s In (50%), 20MB -
Up: 4.875 Mbit/s Out, 4.340 Mbit/s In (89%), 20MB -
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 21:34:38 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 185.21 secs

SO - an improvement from my previous 29% 

Also, try using other speed tests or use a torrent to test your download speed. Air's speed test tend to be inaccurate.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

I'm having similar issues with speed testing. I used AirVPN speedtest, which is supposed to be hosted on the (Dutch) server I'm connected to.

It tells me:

Down: 14.471 Mbit/s Out, 13.853 Mbit/s In (95%), 20MB

Up: 56.576 Mbit/s Out, 34.225 Mbit/s In (60%), 20MB

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:07:13 GMT - Buffers: 20MB/20MB - Laps: 3, Time: 52.71 secs

So at first I'm amazed at the difference in upload and download speeds, and wondering how to get my down-speed as good as my up-speed.

Then, because of what Giganerd said, I tested on speedtest.net and got radically different results:

Down: 118.21 Mbps

Up: 181.23 Mbps

(http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5251029960) The server is geografically close to the AirVPN server

Am I missing something (new to this, so a definite probability) or why is there such a HUGE difference between these test?

And why is the Up-speed in both test significantly higher? I'd rather have the Down-speed higer.

Any help much appreciated.

why is there such a HUGE difference between these test?

I don't know, you better ask Staff.

And why is the Up-speed in both test significantly higher? I'd rather have the Down-speed higer.

If you tell us your subscribed ISP speeds, we can tell you more.

if you tell us your subscribed ISP speeds, we can tell you more.

I have a 1 Gb/s line subscription, up and down. Realistically, the max speed I get is about 850 Mb/s both ways. That's before the VPN of course. In 'real life', when downloading from usenet, without the VPN, I get a max down-speed of about 300 Mb/s.

Usually, without the VPN, there is no real difference between up and down speeds.

What? Where on earth do you get a 1 Gbit/s residential line? Unless it's not residential, of course.

You are an interesting case since your line can make up a whole server's speed capacity

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

Actually many residential ISPs offer fiber theoretical 1Gbit lines. But the QoS takes place and

those lines are very oversold, so it's more like a best effort and a maximum theoretical speed.

Just for a proportion, a 1Gbit 95th percentile peering costs around 200 Eur (~320TB/month).

And since ISPs are not exactly into charity, they have to maintain a working business model.

Can you please run a more accurate test? For example, downloading a Linux distro torrent

at non-peak hours (morning in your area)?

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I have 1Gbit fibre as well.

Unfortunately, with AirVPN, speed tests show that I'm getting about 2Mb.   Not impressive at all.  Not AirVPN's fault, as far as I can tell, had the same issue with PIA, as well.  On my Mac it's not an issue.  On my VM (XP, ESX 5.1), though, my speed is pretty unusable.  Nothing that I've tried has helped, it appears to be related to the TAP-Windows connection (which shows as 10Mb, despite having a 1Gb card, but as I understand, this may just be junk info, not actually indicative of the connection speed).  Still playing, but if anyone knows the quick fix, I'd sure appreciate it.

I have 1Gbit fibre as well.

Unfortunately, with AirVPN, speed tests show that I'm getting about 2Mb.   Not impressive at all.  Not AirVPN's fault, as far as I can tell, had the same issue with PIA, as well.  On my Mac it's not an issue.  On my VM (XP, ESX 5.1), though, my speed is pretty unusable.  Nothing that I've tried has helped, it appears to be related to the TAP-Windows connection (which shows as 10Mb, despite having a 1Gb card, but as I understand, this may just be junk info, not actually indicative of the connection speed).  Still playing, but if anyone knows the quick fix, I'd sure appreciate it.

Well VMs are built with artificial hardware, it's highly likely that which is holding you back.