Not connected, Your IP: 13.58.137.218
Sign in to follow this  
billyfilly

ANSWERED connect to my PC via FTP though airpvn

Im trying to be able to access files from my dedicated airvpn PC.   I would like to access remotely.   I tried ftp and sftp server software but my test friend and myself cannot connect.  I forwarded a port using airvpn using the port forwarding tool and gave them my ip that shows up on ipleak.  Is there something else I should be doing for connection to airvpn ip?  Maybe the entrance ip?  Any help is appreciated.    

Hello!

An FTP server requires some specific configuration because of the way it handles ports. You also need to consider the different behavior in passive and active modes. Please see here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/1700-ftp-server-and-client-on-air-vpn/?do=findComment&comment=1702

Kind regards

Thank you very much for the info .  I was finally able to test it and it I can now connect.       I just had a couple of questions as far as open ports and privacy.  

Im transferring files from home to work, etc.   I have filezilla with ftps setup.   Im fairly confident that with airvpn and the ftps I'm ok with snooping, it seems to be encrypted end-to-end(IMO).   My main concern is the port forwarding.   Please let me know if Im understanding correctly,  I dont want to make a mistake and make my real ip vulnerable, or have random ip/hacker/bot being able to connect to my local ports.

According to the tutorial post, I opened 5 consecutive ports with TCP on airvpn's port forwarding page.  No local port, although it does say the local port is the same as the forwarded port.  Is that correct?  

Then I opened a random port(tcp) and chose the local port that corresponds with my ftps port on the filezilla ftp server. 

So I have 5 forwarded ports and another that routes to a local port on my ftp server/PC.  I was wondering how safe I am to be running this server 24/7?  Is there any other safeguards I need to put in place to protect unauthorized IPs accessing my shared ftp folders?  Ill be sure to limit the server to only certain IP addresses.  What about the 5 consecutive ports?  Would that lead a malicious attacker to my network? 

I also have another port open for various torrent transfers from time to time.  Does that open me up for anything?

I know my entrance IP is different than my exit IP.  Does that help with the open ports? 

Thanks for any help and/or clarification. 

Thank you,

A very happy Airvpn customer!

Air does remote port forwarding. This means that the port they open to the internet for you, doesn't have to be the same local port. A great example of this is for PLEX Media Server. The server is hardcoded to always use port 32400 for management, but obviously not everyone can use that port for forwarding with Air. So, you would map the remote port as say 12345 and the local as 32400. All the traffic coming into Air's server will enter via 12345 and come through the tunnel to you at 32400. However, you could map the ports to be the same number.

As far as security goes, that will depend on the server you're running as a dedicated Air connection. Is this literally a server that is also working as a router or domain controller, or just a PC connected to Air running the FTP server software? The tunnel to Air itself gives you a reasonable amount of protection as anything appearing overtly malicious has to pass through their servers first, thus it would likely be flagged.

As far as security goes, that will depend on the server you're running as a dedicated Air connection. Is this literally a server that is also working as a router or domain controller, or just a PC connected to Air running the FTP server software? The tunnel to Air itself gives you a reasonable amount of protection as anything appearing overtly malicious has to pass through their servers first, thus it would likely be flagged.

Im running a PC connected to Air running the FTP server software and another port for torrent.  All the ports that are opened to seem to automatically map to themselves and the other is mapped by me to my sftp server.  I just want to be sure I can leave my setting on the port forward page as is, even if the ftp software is off.  Basically I might not use it for a month but then start again for a few days.  Do I have to close my open ports on Airvpn's side?  No ports are open on my router at my main connection/ip.

If nothing is running on the connected PC to listen for the connection, then you have nothing to worry about per se. If it's a TCP protocol and you use the port checker on the forwarding page, it'll be grey instead of green if there's nothing listening. If I didn't need the forwards for an extended period of time, I would disable them personally. Why have the hole there if it's not needed? Also, it frees up ports for other users if you know you won't be needing them any time soon.

If nothing is running on the connected PC to listen for the connection, then you have nothing to worry about per se. If it's a TCP protocol and you use the port checker on the forwarding page, it'll be grey instead of green if there's nothing listening. If I didn't need the forwards for an extended period of time, I would disable them personally. Why have the hole there if it's not needed? Also, it frees up ports for other users if you know you won't be needing them any time soon.

Great!  Thanks for the info.  Just wanna be cautious just in case i forget to close them.  I''ll be sure to close for other members, that was actually another questions.  Airvpn seems generous about the ports and I was kinda curious about that.