Not connected, Your IP: 3.82.58.213
Albs90

Bad performances with torrents

Good morning,

I'm experiencing bad performances with AirVPN. I want to use it for torrent download/upload only, on a Lubuntu 15.10 dedicated torrent box that I've made out from an Asus eeeBox B202. I'm using the network manager to connect, because the AirVPN application never worked on my system (never got past the login screen, the system simply freezed and stopped working)

At first I was using Transmission, but the speed was really unstable and kept fluctuating from 0 to 60-70 kB/s in download, with every torrent I've tried (UDP with default port). So i've read about the protocol issues with some ISPs and I switched to TCP, port 80. This improved the top speed (120-130 kB/s) but it was still fluctuating with a sawtooth-like pattern.

I've tried to change my torrent Client and I've installed Deluge. Things got better, but still not as I'm expecting: now download speed fluctuates from 120-130 kB/s to 350-400 kB/s but if I close the VPN connection I get a solid 580 kB/s (my connection maximum speed) without any fluctuation.

I'm using the European servers to connect (I've selected "Europe" in the OpenVPN files generation).

Any idea on how to solve the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Did you try some remote port forwarding?

https://airvpn.org/faq/p2p/

https://airvpn.org/faq/port_forwarding/

I'm not an expert though. So you'll have to wait for one of the masters haha.

I tried

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

How many torrents are you D/L and U/L simultaneously?

Is the D/L speed, you are showing, the speed of one torrent or the combined speed of many torrents??

Router???

Post us some logs in spoiler tags, please (How-To in my signature).

What log, exactly? The whole system's, the network manager's one...? Thank you

From the AirVPN client, Eddie

I can't. It never worked for me, it freezes the whole system as soon as it gets into the login screen. I can post the system log, it seems to keep OpenVpn data too. Would it be useful?

I wonder if you could run things in a VM and try to isolate the issue that way. It's probably hard though.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I'm using the European servers to connect (I've selected "Europe" in the OpenVPN files generation).

Hi,

Just wondering, if you pick Europe, how does OpenVPN know to pick the fastest connection? Is it a random pick of European servers?

If so, it may not be suitable to pick "Europe".

Perhaps pick individual servers that have low latency to your location instead.

This has nothing to do with OpenVPN connection issues so logs won't help much.

The thing is that you are running your OpenVPN client on a 8 years old Atom CPU without

AES-NI, that wasn't considered powerful even at the time of it's release.

Your 400Kbit/s speed of OpenVPN should be considered quite normal on such setup.

To make sure this is not a specific torrent seeding issue, you have to take a neutral

well-seeded torrent, such as a popular Linux distro one here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/15.10/ubuntu-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

and report again.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

This has nothing to do with OpenVPN connection issues so logs won't help much.

The thing is that you are running your OpenVPN client on a 8 years old Atom CPU without

AES-NI, that wasn't considered powerful even at the time of it's release.

Your 400Kbit/s speed of OpenVPN should be considered quite normal on such setup.

To make sure this is not a specific torrent seeding issue, you have to take a neutral

well-seeded torrent, such as a popular Linux distro one here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/15.10/ubuntu-15.10-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

and report again.

Ok, so if I understand correctly the issue is in raw CPU peformances with OpenVPN. But from system monitors, CPU load never exceeds 50% or so, even with OpenVPN running. Maybe is more a software-related problem with OpenVPN itself?

Deluge specifications   Preferences: Bandwidth Global Settings Maximum Connections 250 (You may never see this many connections depending on your per-torrent and active-torrent limits.) Maximum Upload Slots 4 (Let libtorrent manage this for you. It will open more upload slots as necessary to utilize available upstream bandwidth.) Maximum Download Speed 80 - 95% of tested download speed (Be careful of setting this too high--it can strangle your browsing, media streaming, etc. and other people who use your connection.) Maximum Upload Speed 80% of tested upload speed (Upload speed is the limiter for most p2p applications.) Maximum Half-Open Connections: 10 - 50 (Unless you've got a Windows install with limited half-open connections. Then this should be 80% of that limit.)

Everyone got all excited when it was noticed that Microsoft had initially limited half-open connections in XP and Vista to small numbers. As a plethora of hacks came out to remove this limit, somehow "half-open connections" became the scape-goat for slow download speeds. Suddenly it became de riguer to advise Windows users to hack the TCP/IP driver and set their half-open connections to something huge, like 200.

Most users have no need for a setting that high, and Microsoft has removed the original limit in later releases/patches, and made it user-adjustable. (Do not patch your tcpip.sys or whatever--just update to the current official release.) The reality is that half-open connections should--rapidly--resolve to fully-opened connections or be timed-out, so you really don't need that many of them hanging around, anyway.

Maximum Connection Attempts per Second 20 (When you set your per-torrent connections and such to a reasonable number, you will establish reliable connections with plenty of peers. You shouldn't need to be banging around for thousands of new connections every minute.) Per Torrent Settings For upload speeds of: < 50 KiB/s 50 - 150 KiB/s 150 - 250 KiB/s > 250 KiB/s Maximum Connections 30 50 80 120 Maximum Upload Slots 4 5 7 8

While a basic premise of bit-torrenting is a big-ol' "swarm" of peers, you, as a single client, can spread yourself too thin. You're more helpful to the swarm by feeding a limited number of peers with a steady, thick stream of data, than you are by spraying out droplets of data to a huge number of peers.

So, you should limit your upload slots based on your upload speeds to make sure that each connected peer is getting a reasonable amount of bandwidth.

You should limit your number of connections because it take resources to keep track of each connection, and why track connections that are giving you a trickle if any data? One peer feeding you 5 KiB/s is worth 50 peers flickering at 0.1 KiB/s. Similarly, you don't want/need to be keeping track of a large number of peers waiting around hoping one of your upload slots comes free.

Maximum Download Speed -1 (Let the per-torrent speed be limited by the global settings.) Maximum Upload Speed -1 (Let the per-torrent speed be limited by the global settings.)

You can, by setting the per-torrent maximums to less than the global maximums, prevent a single torrent from using up all the allocated bandwidth and forcing all of the other (auto-managed) torrents to pause. But there is no advantage to increasing your number of active torrents. Indeed, by letting the torrent with the best speeds dominate, it will finish as quickly as possible and then stop competing for resources with the other torrents in the queue.

Preferences: Queue Active Torrents For upload speeds of: < 50 KiB/s 50 - 150 KiB/s 150 - 250 KiB/s > 250 KiB/s Total active 3 5 10 15 Total active downloading 3 4 8 10 Total active seeding: 3 5 10 15

By setting "active downloading" less than the "total active" you can make sure that you are seeding completed torrents at all times.

Deluge always prioritizes downloads over uploads, so seeding can be set the same as total but all of your downloading slots will still get used.

Example Results Assumed upload speed (KiB/s) 25 50 150 250 Total active torrents 3 5 10 15 Maximum upload slots per torrent 4 5 7 8 Maximum total upload slots 12 25 70 120 Worst-case KiB/s per upload slot 2.1 2.0 2.1 2.1 Worst-case KiB/s per torrent 8.3 10 15 17

Note: All downloading torrents are automatically also seeding.

How many torrents are you downloading????

How many torrents are you seeding?

Currently, I am seeding 40 torrents. Some popular, some not; no speeds are consistent.

For uploading my limits are 50 kb, 100 kb and unlimited; these are set by the client; I do unlimited

For downloading, my limits are 75 kb, 300 kbs, 600 kbs and unlimited; I do unlimited.

There are preferences for seeding, also; I do unlimited.

I have Win 7 quad core AMD with 4 gigs of ram memory where your machine has ?1 gig ram?.

On Deluge, what did you set for you bandwith and seeding preference???

Forgive me for not using spoilers!!!