Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.202.167
lindor60

Why my Macbook is faster than Linksys WRT1200AC ?

Hi,

happy easter to everybody.

When I test my AIRvpn connection speed (OpenVPN UDP) with my Macbook 12' retina (1,3 ghz), my speed is 95 mbps, and that is 100% of my ISP maximum speed without vpn, and I am happy about that 

But when I set the same thing on my router WRT1200ac (same 1,3ghz as my macbook), I get get around 50-60 mbps.

(the same AIRvpn server of course, the same OpenVpn UDP, all done following official Airvpn wrt guide).

Why this big difference ? 

My macbook is fanless and can be overclocked up to 2,9 ghz, but it remains always quite cold so I think it doesn't need to go in overclock to run AIRvpn software or tunnelblick.

[in both case we are talking of a wireless AC communication, from the same macbook position in the house]

So we are 1,3 ghz vs 1,3 ghz. But a drop of 35-45 mbps on WRT side.

I was wondering if there are  additional config that I should put in WRT.
People use sometimes type things like:

proto udp

fast-io

sndbuf 393216

rcvbuf 393216
push "sndbuf 393216"
push "rcvbuf 393216"

They aren't affecting speed in a noticeable way...Any suggestion ?

Hello !

I don't know if it's relevant, but make sure you're using things like AES and stuff like N-only connections or AC-only connections in the router web interface .

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Hello !

I don't know if it's relevant, but make sure you're using things like AES and stuff like N-only connections or AC-only connections in the router web interface .

yes, I have exactly that  N-only and AC-only 

It seems there are not AES-NI router on sale for residential customers....

I have read that increasing TX-power in wrt would speed up the performance but it would abbreviate router's life, someone can confirm ?

Hello !

yes, I have exactly that  N-only and AC-only 

It seems there are not AES-NI router on sale for residential customers....

I have read that increasing TX-power in wrt would speed up the performance but it would abbreviate router's life, someone can confirm ?

No, increasing the TX power does not increase speed. It would possibly increase your signal strength, thereby allowing a better connection if you were on the fringe of your coverage area. Your router is probably already doing the best it is capable of. No amount of tweaks is going to compensate for the lack of encryption instructions or capabilities of the router's CPU. Either get used to the speeds you have, or setup something like pfSense.