Not connected, Your IP: 3.89.56.228
350ztt

ANSWERED VPN newbie, need help with my setup please!

Hello all,

So I am a total noob when it comes to VPNs or really any networking beyond the average joe basics. I have been reading as many threads as I can, but now my head is just spinning about how to setup my equipment. I was hoping if I list what I have and what I want to do, some of you smarter folk could point me in the right direction...

So here is the equipment I have in the house:

Asus Rt-N66u router

Playstation 3

Roku

Chromecast

Windows 7 PC

Android phone

IPhone

IPad

I have (US based) subscriptions to:

Amazon prime

Netflix

Hulu

What I'd like to do:

I'd like to be able to start using Kodi on my desktop, phone, and TV, and I'd like to do that over a VPN. I'd like to be able to let my ps3 and roku connect to the Internet without the vpn so I can use them like I do now (no interest in viewing overseas content outside of what I can find in kodi). I know to use kodi on the TV I need an android based streaming box like the Shield or FireTV. I don't know which one to get though for ease of use with Kodi and a VPN. Ideally if the box can be configured to run just kodi through the VPN and let the other apps (Netflix, etc) run through regular Internet, that would be even better..

So I guess if anyone has suggestions on which android streaming box to buy, and how to set everything up, I would greatly appreciate it.... I'm sorry for the hand-holding request, I just don't know enough about this stuff to figure it out on my own. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

You're looking at doing policy based routing. Basically saying if you have this IP, set of IP's, or MAC address, use this gateway (i.e. VPN), otherwise use this gateway (ISP). Are you running the stock firmware on the router? If you're running DD-WRT, it's as easy as assigning static IP's to all your devices you want to go through the VPN and putting them into the 'Policy Based Routing' block in the openvpn client setup.

Hey thanks for the info. Yes I'm running stock firmware, which I just updated to the most recent, but it sounds like I should change it to what you're suggesting.. I was looking at TomatoUSB firmware, is that just as easy to use? Lastly, you think my router is capable of having two gateways at once? I thought I read somewhere only super fast routers could do that..

There are TomatoUSB, DD-WRT and probably the best one would be ASUS-WRT in your case.

I never had any of these devices since I am not a fan of not 100% open-source devices, but there

are a few very helpful members around here who do have this kind of firmware and setup. Since

your question is not focused on a specific task, you will have to find your own way to :

1) Install the proper firmware that fits your tasks on your router

2) Search on the forums here how to accomplish what you were looking for, it is here.

Only after you followed the above steps, and in case you failed in something particular,

you might have some other technical questions, but they will be more specific and will

allow us to know exactly what didn't work as expected.

As a long saying goes, help us to help you.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hey thanks for the info. Yes I'm running stock firmware, which I just updated to the most recent, but it sounds like I should change it to what you're suggesting.. I was looking at TomatoUSB firmware, is that just as easy to use? Lastly, you think my router is capable of having two gateways at once? I thought I read somewhere only super fast routers could do that..

I have never used the stock Asus firmware, so I couldn't say for sure the steps. Merlin-WRT and DD-WRT are the most popular for these routers. I personally use DD-WRT and as I said before, using policy based routing will do what you want. Whichever you choose, search for setting up that and you'll achieve what you want. Just bear in mind that the fastest you'll get through the VPN on that router is 30mbps. No matter how fast your ISP is. The encryption/decryption required will cap your speed around there.

yes, merlin asus firmware has pretty easy to use policy based routing in the openvpn client GUI.  that's all I've used for my asus routers.

Thanks to everyone that helped guide me in the right direction, it's much appreciated. I noticed the one useless/jerk comment was removed from the thread, and I'm glad to see the majority of people on this board are actually willing to help, so thank you very much! As for the 30mbps limit, I'm not too worried about that since my ISP caps me at 25mbps, but good to know for the future if a better ISP ever starts offering service in my area... Looks like I'll be updating my firmware tonight and trying out this policy-based routing! Thanks!

My last post hasn't shown up yet for some reason, and in case it doesn't I just wanted to first say thank you very much to those who've helped thus far....

So a bit of an update and one more question... I went ahead and installed the merlin firmware, and setup the VPN on the router using the instructions and config file on this website. I then assigned each device an IP address (hoping I did that correctly), and did the policy routing assignments on the router (VPN or WAN). All looked good, at least I thought so until I noticed a warning under the router VPN status page that said "Error Connecting - IR/Routing conflict." It also says something similar under the VPN client tab next to the Service State, it says "Error- routing conflict!"

I did a test on IPLeak and the first two blocks, IP address and WebRTC detection both looked good, saying "Sweden AirVPN servers".. But the last block, the DNS address detection, says New York, USA... I don't live in new york, so not sure where that is coming from and why it's not also saying Sweden.. Any help on this would be appreciated.. Thank in advance!

Ok update again... I removed all my policies and reassigned them. That seemed to fix the issues posted above, no more error messages on the router page. When I do the IP Leak test, the DNS is now showing Sweden on my desktop like I wanted, but on my phone it's still doing what I posted above (IP sweden, DNS is United States)... That seems to be the only issue left to fix, unless it's not truly an issue...

Your phone might be still using the ISPs DNS servers. This can be overridden by entering manual

settings in your phone's DNS servers, without knowing your OS it is hard to explain how to do it,

but check if you can fix it manually, usually most systems have it in the network settings.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Zhang888, thanks, you were right. I went into my phone's settings and manually put in 10.4.0.1 in the "DNS 1" block. This seems to have fixed the problem! Thanks!

So now that everything seems to be working, is there any other tests I can/should run to make sure it's actually doing what it should? Or is the IP Leak website test all I need to do?

Zhang888, thanks, you were right. I went into my phone's settings and manually put in 10.4.0.1 in the "DNS 1" block. This seems to have fixed the problem! Thanks!

So now that everything seems to be working, is there any other tests I can/should run to make sure it's actually doing what it should? Or is the IP Leak website test all I need to do?

I'd definitely say it couldn't hurt to check out that site

I don't know if it's relevant, but anyways:

http://www.bestvpn-china.com/blog/31750/a-complete-guide-to-ip-leaks/

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

ipleak.net is a fairly thorough test of any types of leaks. If you're getting geoip information for your actual area, peer leaks, or you're seeing any other DNS than Air's, you have a problem. Otherwise, you're better off than 90% of the general public as far as privacy goes. If you really want to test it though, dnsleaktest.com is another.

My last ........ router VPN status page that said "Error Connecting - IR/Routing conflict." It also says something similar under the VPN client tab next to the Service State, it says "Error- routing conflict!"

After a router reboot the warning should have been disapeared.