Not connected, Your IP: 44.222.118.194

Original Poster: On behalf of the more positive members of this community i'd like to say sorry for some of the negative comments your question generated. I thought it was a valid question and I'm sure you weren't looking for a lifetime of free AirVPN but you were simply inquiring if a discount for Easter was in the works. These same negative commentators will say "Google it" when they have nothing better to say.

PS. By the way, I too searched "Russia" to see why there were no Russian servers and could not readily find an answer to the question, so it is odd. I'd 1000times rather use a Russian VPN server than an American one. The worlds best Hackers are from Russia, not America, and they're not getting caught, unlike the American ones. So.... yeah, smoke that in your pipe.

So you base your desire for a VPN to be based in a nation with "more hackers"? Really? Do you not understand that for your idiot hackers to even be identifiable as belonging to a nation, they have already failed in the most important way?

So how do you define "hackers"? Do you think this term means they are experts at preserving your identity? Or is this the retarded movie and television sense of a moron that can fart on a keyboard and break any encryption in seconds. Because it is time for you to remove your head from another part of your anatomy. Hackers are neither of these things. They are parasites upon the digital realm you clearly know nothing of. They are the very same ones that intentionally infringe upon your privacy via malware. So stop thinking of hackers as good. They are scum at best. And this nationalist crap is offensive to everyone. Literally every single person will hate you saying their nation is not as good as another in whatever way.

Do not troll these forums with ignorance. Educate yourself or remain silent.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Original Poster: On behalf of the more positive members of this community i'd like to say sorry for some of the negative comments your question generated. I thought it was a valid question and I'm sure you weren't looking for a lifetime of free AirVPN but you were simply inquiring if a discount for Easter was in the works. These same negative commentators will say "Google it" when they have nothing better to say.

PS. By the way, I too searched "Russia" to see why there were no Russian servers and could not readily find an answer to the question, so it is odd. I'd 1000times rather use a Russian VPN server than an American one. The worlds best Hackers are from Russia, not America, and they're not getting caught, unlike the American ones. So.... yeah, smoke that in your pipe.

So you base your desire for a VPN to be based in a nation with "more hackers"? Really? Do you not understand that for your idiot hackers to even be identifiable as belonging to a nation, they have already failed in the most important way?

So how do you define "hackers"? Do you think this term means they are experts at preserving your identity? Or is this the retarded movie and television sense of a moron that can fart on a keyboard and break any encryption in seconds. Because it is time for you to remove your head from another part of your anatomy. Hackers are neither of these things. They are parasites upon the digital realm you clearly know nothing of. They are the very same ones that intentionally infringe upon your privacy via malware. So stop thinking of hackers as good. They are scum at best. And this nationalist crap is offensive to everyone. Literally every single person will hate you saying their nation is not as good as another in whatever way.

Big words, but be careful because they backfire.

Look up the difference between hackers and crackers, then come back here.

You are insulting hackers who really are the ones pushing security and privacy forward. They consist of security enthusiasts and researchers who tinker with everything in every software or technology and try to find ways to circumvent security measures just to make it more secure for all of us. Their work is honorable.

Crackers are those who exploit systems for personal gain. They are neither good or bad, just the fact they do it only for themselves is questionable. Because if you look closely, they also look for flaws in the system, only they don't communicate with the owner and basically say "we broke into your system, try to find the vulnerability, noob". They passively contribute to the security of a single system, but all in all are the more dangerous kind of people on the internet.

Fix your words, please.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Big words, but be careful because they backfire.

Look up the difference between hackers and crackers, then come back here.

You are insulting hackers who really are the ones pushing security and privacy forward. They consist of security enthusiasts and researchers who tinker with everything in every software or technology and try to find ways to circumvent security measures just to make it more secure for all of us. Their work is honorable.

Crackers are those who exploit systems for personal gain. They are neither good or bad, just the fact they do it only for themselves is questionable. Because if you look closely, they also look for flaws in the system, only they don't communicate with the owner and basically say "we broke into your system, try to find the vulnerability, noob". They passively contribute to the security of a single system, but all in all are the more dangerous kind of people on the internet.

Fix your words, please.

(Sent via Tapatalk - this generally means I'm not sitting in front of my PC)

I do not think there is anything to fix. I respect the position you hold, but to me what you describe is a "programmer", not a "hacker". Programmers are as often as not the ones who find the breakdowns in our software. Like the OpenSSL Heartbleed bug and other such things. And unlike hackers and crackers, they make no attempt to exploit it and instead try to follow the often extensive submission process to the programmers of the software in question so it can be fixed.

Years ago I may have agreed with you, but the word "hacker" has been made into something it never was back when the phrase was coined. So I must sadly refuse to pretend that hackers are the good guys. Those are programmers, both professional or amateur. And I agree with the assessment you have for them.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Hi,

according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(computer_security)

In the computer security context, a hacker is someone who seeks and exploits weaknesses in a computer system or computer network. Hackers may be motivated by a multitude of reasons, such as profit, protest, challenge, enjoyment,[1] or to evaluate those weaknesses to assist in removing them. The subculture that has evolved around hackers is often referred to as the computer underground.[2]

There is a longstanding controversy about the term's true meaning. In this controversy, the term hacker is reclaimed by computer programmers who argue that it refers simply to someone with an advanced understanding of computers and computer networks,[3] and that cracker is the more appropriate term for those who break into computers, whether computer criminal (black hats) or computer security expert (white hats)[4][5] - but a recent article concluded that: "...the black-hat meaning still prevails among the general public"

Thanks to my 37 years experience in IT (yes, I programmed 4 bit registers CPUs too when I was a kid) I can count on a 100% certainty that this controversy is a trivial consequence of incompetent people entering the debate and I can't do anything to save myself from one of the rare moments in which I am convinced that an elitist vision is so near to the truth.

There are too many people who are not even able to put together a four lines program and make it work, and yet they love talking randomly about subjects they don't know. The meaning that the "general-public" gives to the word "hacker" according to Wikipedia is just a consequence of the sub-products of a technology which has evolved beyond what the "general-public" mental abilities have been able to learn and understand.

Kind regards

pj

Well, the general public is responsible for blurring almost everything in languages. Someone has got two words for two things that look the same on first sight, such as hacker/cracker, then the public learns of it and establishes one word for it which will describe one or even none of the two things right. So I completely don't trust the general public in naming things.

It's important that we establish unambiguous words for these things, there can't be a in my opinion it's called X and/or Y; it just contributes to the victory of the public because everyone's got another name for it.

These arguments cannot be resolved. Language is a living thing capable of change. Even if you got everyone on Earth to agree to the current meaning, they would just change their minds in some way within a few years.

That is why I stick with the one word that does not need clarification, and still has a single meaning. Programmer.

These arguments cannot be resolved. Language is a living thing capable of change.

Yeah, you are probably right.

Even if you got everyone on Earth to agree to the current meaning, they would just change their minds in some way within a few years.

Depends. If a great number of people spam the word everywhere, speaking it and writing it (on the internet, too), even years later everyone will know the word you spammed.

That is why I stick with the one word that does not need clarification, and still has a single meaning. Programmer.

Single meaning would be someone writing any kind of software. Programmer does not include the act of tinkering with other systems and try to circumvent security measures. Also, one wouldn't expect a headline like "Programmers stole a million dollar by phishing mails, details inside".

You answered your own question on why there are no AirVPN servers in Russia.  Why have servers in Russia and mainland China if the hackers there are going to try and hack the servers and destroy them.  That would increase AirVPN costs and raise the fees they charge their clients.

Maybe AirVPN should put a server in Russia and YOU can pay all the costs that are incurred plus the tobacco for your PIPE.

There are certainly good reasons for having VPN service in these countries. If you want to watch Youku videos from the US you'll need VPN service to China (great way to maintain your Chinese while visiting the US). I would also imagine there are some services in Russia you can't get w/o a Russian IP address. If you're not interested in security there are several popular services that provide access in these countries and you can pay with your American credit card. I'll be nice and not post the names of those other services, though you can easily find them. As for AirVPN, I'm quite happy they DON'T have servers in several countries.