Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.39.110
zhang888

VPN Comparison chart - real competitive analysis effort

As instructed by threadstarter, I'll make a claim. Ok. Hope I understood this correctly.

I'm currently testing two VPN providers, for 5 days now (and will until the end of January). AirVPN is one, and ExpressVPN is the second.

I think ExpressVPN is consistently faster than Air. I'm based in Norway, so using Swedish servers mostly.

Speedtesting done with fast.net (Netflix speed), SpeedTest.net and downloading Ubuntu.

With AirVPN I'm selecting the recommended server, and using the Status list to select the best server. At times I've max'ed out my connection (70mbps) with AirVPN as well, but it consistently is slower. Right now, I've tested several times with fast.com and get less than 5mpbs. Server I'm on has Load 10, and 129 users. Switch to ExpressVPN and get 60 mbps.

Really love AirVPN's transparency, the forums and everything. And services e.g. "Pandora" which are available only in US works from Swedish servers, something ExpressVPN doesn't do (will need to VPN to USA, not a big problem, servers are fast). Customer service is responsive, but at one point recommended I switch to IPSec to get more speed, which I understand is a weaker VPN.

So the challenge is only this one thing - SPEED (and ease of use -- I mean it's much easier to VPN to a country of choice with ExpressVPN -- with AirVPN you must browse the server list until the correct flag is found).

So the challenge is only this one thing - SPEED (and ease of use -- I mean it's much easier to VPN to a country of choice with ExpressVPN -- with AirVPN you must browse the server list until the correct flag is found).

In Eddie you can quickly select any country in the "Countries" tab. You can even define a white list of countries or servers (note: a white list of servers will take precedence over a white list of countries).

If you don't run Eddie, we provide domain names of all kinds for "highest rated server" (country_code.vpn.airdns.org) and "all servers" in a country (country_code.airvpn.org), continent or planet.

About performance, don't limit yourself to a few servers of a single country, but make extensive testings, because otherwise your ISP peering becomes a too high bias. That said, it's out of discussion that we can't satisfy in the best way all the ISPs in the world. We can however carefully pick good datacenters with good POP and transit providers, in general with tier1 and 2 transit providers, and that we do.

Kind regards

As instructed by threadstarter, I'll make a claim. Ok. Hope I understood this correctly.

I'm currently testing two VPN providers, for 5 days now (and will until the end of January). AirVPN is one, and ExpressVPN is the second.

I think ExpressVPN is consistently faster than Air. I'm based in Norway, so using Swedish servers mostly.

Speedtesting done with fast.net (Netflix speed), SpeedTest.net and downloading Ubuntu.

With AirVPN I'm selecting the recommended server, and using the Status list to select the best server. At times I've max'ed out my connection (70mbps) with AirVPN as well, but it consistently is slower. Right now, I've tested several times with fast.com and get less than 5mpbs. Server I'm on has Load 10, and 129 users. Switch to ExpressVPN and get 60 mbps.

Really love AirVPN's transparency, the forums and everything. And services e.g. "Pandora" which are available only in US works from Swedish servers, something ExpressVPN doesn't do (will need to VPN to USA, not a big problem, servers are fast). Customer service is responsive, but at one point recommended I switch to IPSec to get more speed, which I understand is a weaker VPN.

Remember to increase your send and receive buffer sizes to 256kb in the Eddie preferences and make sure you're not leaking, by checking ipleak.net

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

I have no luck with the swedish servers except latency. Try the lithuanian or belgian servers instead for speed

Hello,

As you might have noticed, there is a list circulating on the privacy related forums

recently regarding VPN providers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FJTvWT5RHFSYuEoFVpAeQjuQPU4BVzbOigT0xebxTOw/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

We have found a comparison chart that takes into consideration some very important technical and non-technical aspects which are missing in the quoted list.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/best-vpns-privacy-and-anonymity/

There are some minor mistakes but overall it looks just fine.

The aforementioned comparison chart should compensate the embarrassingly insufficient technical knowledge and the blatant lies of the person compiling the quoted list: https://airvpn.org/topic/19586-a-review-on-another-site/?do=findComment&comment=48971

Kind regards

Thanks for the data. I have seen the comparison charts come and go. This seems like a better data set than most of them. The one on TorrentFreak is dated and jaded by commercial interest.

I have been using AirVPN for almost 5-years. It has been trouble free, secure, innovative and helpful. Helpful on the few occasions I needed help (read I screwed up my settings).  Without fail, AirVPN has been way ahead of me when I read about an issue or looked in to check on something. I read something security related, I log in and find out AirVPN fixed that last month, or it is N/A because of their systems, software and diligence.

I have been 'online' since before there was an online. Army SF Commo Guy from the late '70s, followed by ARPANet, DARPA Net, I hosted a dial-up BBS (Spitfire BBS) I had one of the USA first 3 Line Dial-Up BBS (I kid you not) and gradually grooved on and in to Netscape 1.0 and then went on to develope several of the worlds first "Million Hits a Month" websites in the '90s. I have hosted, co-hosted, co-located, T1'd, Tier 3d and had a couple of server farms and a hosting company or three of my very own.

The tech companies I started in the 1980's allowed me to retire at 49. I have re-retired a couple of times since and now at 55, I am happily & permanently retired in to what I now call my OMO 'Old Man Online' life. OMO = Surfing, Reading, Goofing, Teaching, Advising, Downloading & Watching.

In my almost 40-years Pre-Online, Kinda-Online, Army Online, 56,6 Dial-Up Online. ADSL Online, So-Called Hi-Speed Internet Online and finally Really Hi-Speed Internet Online, I have seen a bunch of communications companies come and go and none of them has impressed me more than AirVPN.

Please note: I pay full price just like most of you. I have no current or previous business relationship with AirVPN. I am just a very satisfied AirVPN customer of 5-years.

Thanks Team AirVPN

PS I can get you a really good deal on some 'used' Hayes 2400 Baud Modems...

Regards,
M.Virgil Stone Sends...

I have been 'online' since before there was an online. Army SF Commo Guy from the late '70s, followed by ARPANet, DARPA Net, I hosted a dial-up BBS (Spitfire BBS) I had one of the USA first 3 Line Dial-Up BBS (I kid you not) and gradually grooved on and in to Netscape 1.0 and then went on to develope several of the worlds first "Million Hits a Month" websites in the '90s. I have hosted, co-hosted, co-located, T1'd, Tier 3d and had a couple of server farms and a hosting company or three of my very own.

Hi,

you don't know me probably, but I know you, since the FidoNet great times! I was running a BBS connected to FidoNet and later interfaced with several Usenet newsgroups. The BBS was running on an Amiga 2000 - I was a member of the Amiga support and development team in Commodore. You were famous at the end of 80ies already ;)

In my almost 40-years Pre-Online, Kinda-Online, Army Online, 56,6 Dial-Up Online. ADSL Online, So-Called Hi-Speed Internet Online and finally Really Hi-Speed Internet Online, I have seen a bunch of communications companies come and go and none of them has impressed me more than AirVPN.

Wow, this means really something to me. Thank you. From my colleagues as well.

PS I can get you a really good deal on some 'used' Hayes 2400 Baud Modems...

Interesting. I only saved my new V32 modems because they remind me the huge excitement for the major breakthrough from 2400 bps to 9600 and then to 14400 bps with V32bis :D

All the best

Paolo (AirVPN co-founder)

Any insights on these points?

- VyprVPN subscribers can avail of the “Chameleon” protocol, which scrambles OpenVPN metadata so deep packet inspection cannot recognize it.
- A warrant canary is updated weekly on its website, though LiquidVPN
- CyberGhost also includes an anti-fingerprinting tool that prevents advertisers and other entities from identifying users by their browser characteristics.

-SoftEther 

Tx

Any insights on these points?

- VyprVPN subscribers can avail of the “Chameleon” protocol, which scrambles OpenVPN metadata so deep packet inspection cannot recognize it.
- A warrant canary is updated weekly on its website, though LiquidVPN
- CyberGhost also includes an anti-fingerprinting tool that prevents advertisers and other entities from identifying users by their browser characteristics.

-SoftEther 

Tx

1. Sounds like a more sexy marketing iteration of SSL/SSH which Air's Eddie client already comes with, in addition to its built-in TOR support.
  2. https://airvpn.org/topic/18008-bolehvpn-got-a-information-request-by-authorities/?p=42576 & https://airvpn.org/topic/12848-warrant-canary/?p=22508
  3. Sounds like a glorified browser extension without much credibility, since it seems they use google on their own website. It would also still be something you could accomplish yourself.

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.

Wait what? Explain please.

- PerfectPrivacy edit: fuck nazis this is off my list

A Vpn who fuck nazis can't be a bad Vpn

And? Does that interfere w anonymity? Do they actively promote their ideology upon customers? Do you expect people to read German?

And? Does that interfere w anonymity? Do they actively promote their ideology upon customers? Do you expect people to read German?

Doesn't matter, just for ethical reasons I will never fund a company that, from near or far, has been able to display extreme right-wing political views

Doesn't matter, just for ethical reasons I will never fund a company that, from near or far, has been able to display extreme right-wing political views

That s fine with me ... I personally could give a rats ass... :-). I any case i feel they are too expensive