Not connected, Your IP: 18.223.125.219
Sign in to follow this  
AgitoM

Netflix content not showing despite being connected to correct country VPN

Am trying to watch some content which I know is available on Netflix UK.

Obviously, I am not located in the UK, thus I am using AirVPN to connect to a client in the UK.

However, after connecting the VPN, and logging into Netflix, the content is not showing in Netflix list of search.

I've tried this with both the AirVPN Client, as the OpenVPN Client with UK config file.

Weird enough, when connecting to AirVPN on my Android phone, and opening the Netflix app, the content does show in the list, but still won't play.

The other thing I occasionally notice when connecting to AirVPN UK Server, is that Google shows me Google Belgium?

Anything I can do to fool Netflix with regards to the country I am in?

Hi Zhang888, thanks for your reply.

As per your request, I have just conducted some testing of all the different UK based servers.

I did the following test:

1. Connect to a VPN server in UK.

2. Go to "google.com" to see which country Google I was being redirected

3. Log onto Netflix and look for the "Louis Theroux" show.

Browser was closed in between tests, this should be right delete all cookies and cache.

The Louis Theroux show is available on Netflix UK. I've tested this as well using a third party Smart DNS service. I can see the show on Netflix using that.

Having said that, I prefer to use AirVPN to avoid Netflix's Geoblocking, rather not subscribe to the Smart DNS service.

These are my test results:

Carinae
Google: www.google.co.uk
Netflix Louis Theroux: Not Found

Naos:
Google: www.google.be

Nashira:
Google: www.google.be

Nunki:

Algedi:

Dabih:

Bellatrix:

I have the suspicion, that despite being connected to a UK server, Netflix is serving me US content. (Though this is hard to verify).
But as mentioned before, using the Smart-DNS, I could access the UK Louis Theroux show.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need me to conduct more testing.

What is your DNS server when you are connected to Air's UK servers?

This might be the reason. You can check it on https://ipleak.net

Also - closing the browser does not delete the cookies unless you are using "Incognito mode".

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hi zhang888.

Sorry it took me a while to get back on this. Didn't have time to look into it over the past few days.

Not sure if it's safe to post the information ipleak.net reported to me, so let me just describe it:

When connected to the Carinae server. IPLeak showed me a IP Address and DNS that belonged to a London based server.

It did not show any IP or DNS that belongs to my own ISP (or any other info that belongs to my ISP).

I double confirmed my findings by disconnecting from VPN, and running IPLeak again.

With VPN off, IPLeak showed me totally different information and the local of my country of residence.