Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.23.123
Sign in to follow this  
toothstone

Netflix blocked my _home_ IP

Hi,

I have been using AirVPN now for about a month almost always when I used Netflix. Yesterday I tried for once again to connect to Netflix without AirVPN, and I got the dreaded 'Proxy detected' message. After some testing (flatmates wifi, different devices, multiple wipes, reboots, different browsers) I concluded, that Netflix has marked my home IP as a proxy or VPN endpoint.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has the same problem, and what you did about it? I have to live with a static IPv4 address, so if I ever want to use Netflix directly again, I need to get it unblocked.

Also, what a poor design choice? If I were implementing something like this, I would make sure to keep false positives at zero.

Who is your ISP?

Some ISPs have both hosting and residential customers in the same AS numbers.

This will lead to a potential block in suspicion of the netrange being flagged as a hosting

provider. IP blocks are never reliable and it is perpetual cat and mouse game with false positives.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Who is your ISP?

Some ISPs have both hosting and residential customers in the same AS numbers.

I don't want to disclose my ISP here, but I am absolutely certain (working there) that there is no commercial hosting or similar services.

Also I know for sure that my block is not affected, only my single static IP. I have tried other IPs from the same /24, they work.

So just a bad luck, maybe you did something from that IP or with your account that could be looking as account

sharing or anything else that might trigger a policy violation rule. You can probably open a support ticket to them

and ask for clarifications. Since this is not an issue related to Air, no one can tell you for sure what caused this.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Netflix question:

presumptuous maybe? 

But with the money they make, they must pay big back to the hacking world? 

If Netflix would go 'global' (we pay them what do they care) will solve the problem of VPN, right?

Or, anyone care to add to this?

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right.