Not connected, Your IP: 3.94.150.98

Since I started using the AirVPN client (and thereby the AirVPN DNS) I haven't had any problems. However for the third day now Netflix doesn't complain about me using a proxy, it does however tell me "Your device may not be connected to the Internet. Please make sure your connection is working and try again." when I click on a movie or episode. When I test my connection Netflix tells me everything is fine though. I've read somewhere this error happens when you're using a DNS that has not updated the (recently changed?) IP address. What do?

Four people having a problem isn't indicative of a systemic issue.  If, as you say, "hundreds of customers here just want the service for Netflix" then don't you think we would see many more posts and threads about this if it wasn't working?  My response was actually to the guy above you talking about Roku boxes and whatnot.  There are devices that will talk over 8.8.8.8 regardless of your router settings.  The devices don't care if you have AirVPN set up over DD-WRT, they are going to query 8.8.8.8 anyway.  I've yet to see anyone "properly" solve that problem.

If you are saying that you are using a Windows or Mac PC and can't get the DNS to work over your DD-WRT router, then that's a different issue that should be able to be solves.

The roku is smarter than the average bear.  Trust me, I'm rerouting all requests to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (actually all udp requests on port 53) to my pfsense dns forwarder, which forwards to Air's dns and it is working:

C:\Users\user>nslookup router.home.lan 8.8.8.8

Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com

Address:  8.8.8.8

Name:    router.home.lan

Address:  192.168.13.1

C:\Users\user>nslookup router.home.lan 8.8.4.4

Server:  google-public-dns-b.google.com

Address:  8.8.4.4

C:\Users\user>nslookup router.home.lan 1.2.3.4

Server:  UnKnown

Address:  1.2.3.4

Unless Google is able to resolve the local domain on my LAN (which obviously it isn't), the requests aren't actually going to google, they're going to pfsense.  Even with that, roku doesn't care.  When watching netflix on roku thru any Air server that isn't natively routing to netflix, roku screams "proxy!!".  Android tablet + chromecast is able to stream US netflix just fine (last I tested, which was about ~2 weeks ago -- I don't actually use US Netflix much as most of the content I watch is Netflix original stuff, which is available just fine on Canada Netflix and that works thru Air on the natively routed Canadian Air servers).

So every dns request from every client on my LAN goes thru pfsense (as proven from the last example hitting any old random IP address, they all get forwarded to pfsense) -- I've confirmed it thru logging and tests like the above, but roku just doesn't care.  When hitting netflix thru a non-natively routed air server, the roku just knows it's a proxy.

Perfect explanation from someone who knows what they are doing to solve the problem.  That why I said "I've yet to see anyone "properly" solve that problem".

Important note: as a kind user made us notice in a ticket, it's important to underline for readers that DNS queries to Google DNS are re-routed and NOT blocked, otherwise the Netflix application can't work. It is possible that some reported malfunction is due to the fact that such queries are blocked, instead of being re-routed.

Kind regards

As of today, both on windows and my phone netflix reports using a proxy with any server. 

yesterday they were both working fine

Interesting what you say, varttaanen. I've noticed that google (and other google products) have been detecting my actual location even when I've been connected to an AirVPN server in a different country. Presumably this is the same "leaking" that is happening with Netflix.

Has anyone figured out a workaround for this yet? (And if you so, could you kindly explain it in simple language for us non-technical folk?)

Interesting what you say, varttaanen. I've noticed that google (and other google products) have been detecting my actual location even when I've been connected to an AirVPN server in a different country.

I don't really now, but I think it has to do with this: https://panopticlick.eff.org/about . I think so because they don't know where I am when I use a browser I don't usually use.

Seems like it finally happened. All AirVPN servers are detected by netflix as a proxy. Until yesterday i had no problems watching US exclusive series on netflix on Wezen server, among some others.

Is AirVPN planning to try to fix this in the near future?

I cannot access Netflix using US, Canadian, or Netherlands based servers.  Running Chrome & Windows 8.  Have tried the various recommendations in the thread as much as I could follow them.  If this problem is solved could you please point me to the specific recommended settings for: Air VPN, Chrome & anything specific to windows networking.

Thanks

+1 who can't view any US/CAD/UK content on Netflix as of yesterday. Your browser can leak your (rough) location regardless of whether you are using a VPN simply by revealing what timezone you are set to, could that be relevant to your points about your location being leaked?

I usually seem to be re-routed to US servers on all servers other than NL servers where I get NL Netflix. Today the ones that give me US content started getting the proxy error, NL servers still work for me though. This happened once before but it worked after reconnecting to the VPN.

On Windows 10, using IE 11 for Netflix. Network lock is activated in AirVPN client.

I'm so glad I have never used netflix or anything like it. Seems to me they are pushing people into using alternative sources which is idiotic since it is proven to succeed

Just went on Netflix US and also got the proxy error.  I'm not overly concerned as that is not my primary reason for using airvpn.

I use to also be able to get UK Netflix which was nice, but that stopped a month or two ago.

Hello!

We have not detected and we do not detect any problem. Provided that your device queries VPN DNS and that your Netflix application does not surreptitiously send out information without your consent, access to Netflix USA has always been coherent to what reported here: https://airvpn.org/topic/9223-netflix/

The part in bold is particularly important because, for example, we have seen reports according to which Netflix proprietary, closed source software queries invariably Google DNS, regardless of the DNS settings of the device.

Kind regards

I'm unable to access US Netflix from any of the Canadian or US servers that I regularly us.   I've tried several including Tyl, Zosma etc and all give me the Proxy error when connecting both with Firefox and Chrome.

I have tried both with the WebRTC Network Limiter enabled and disabled in Chrome without any change.

-AirVPN Client on Windows 8.1 

-IPv6 disabled on my PC and on my router.

-Performed the following DNS Leak tests in Chrome and Firefox, none find any leaks when using AirVPN.

- dnsleaktest.com

- ipleak.net

- dnsleak.com

If the issue is truly with my machine/setup/browser/etc, can someone point me towards another test or setting to check?

I was able to access Netflix on the Canadian server Rana, but have had no luck with any US servers. This is so annoying.

Worked yesterday, as of today it's blocked.

Sitting i Norway, server in Sweden and Netflix in US or UK (not sure which)

Mac Mini, OSX 10.11.2, Safari.

This is the message from Netflix (used Google translate)

Netflix says "It looks as if you are using a unblocker or proxy. Turn off these services and try again."

This error occurs when the systems detect that you connect via VPN, proxy or a "unblocker" service. Since our content varies by region and these connection types often used to circumvent the geolocation, you will not be able to flow when connected in this way.

• Disable any proxy, VPN or other software that can route Internet traffic outside the current region.
    • For best results, we recommend that you verify that the network settings on the device is set to Automatic.
      • If you need help to connect from one of these services, or to set the connection back to the default settings, you should consult the device manufacturer or your ISP.
  • Do you use VPN or proxy for other reasons, such as work or privacy?
    • Because there is no reliable way for us to see if a VPN or proxy is used on legitimate grounds, will all use of VPN or proxy prevent streaming Netflix. Disable VPN or proxy and try Netflix again.

Posted ... (edited)

I have the same issue trying to access content on Netflix via US or Canadian servers - tried a few, no luck.

I'm on Mac OS X El Capitan (latest version) using the AirVPN application (Eddie). I haven't made any changes to the settings, left everything default. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this, would be much appreciated!

I switched to AirVPN from PIA after it stopped working for me there.

Edit: I've turned off IPv6 but not sure about how to change the DNS settings on my router. I'm just doing research now but if anyone knows about this, help would be appreciated!

Edited ... by kappatou

Hi,

Following this thread it seems that some think that this is an issue for only a few users - add me to the list of those who cannot now use Netflix.

No change to my configurations before Netflix refuses to work - fine for logging in to netflix but cannot actually watch anything without Netflix complaining about proxy, etc. I did the clear cache, etc. I run two VPN each to a different country (each from a different wifi router) - neither worked - VPN client (a different VPN provider) over VPN (tunnel in tunnel) also not working.

I have already had a chat session with Netflix Customer Ser. and pointed out clearly that either I watch Netflix via VPN of my choice or I cancel Netflix - might be useful if more Netfilx via VPN users did this.

I would rather see a fix by AirVPN or a workaround. Following these threads with interest.

Cheers

Digbat

Hello

Just wanted to add that I have been unable to access Netflix over VPN for about 10 days now. I keep getting the proxy error message. I am using the airvpn DNS and there have been no changes to my configuration before the block occurred. I have tried multiple UK servers and disabled IPv6 but I still get the proxy error message. I have also tried clearing browser cache.

Google Chrome: Version 49.0.2623.108 (64-bit)

dns.png

netflix.png

I'm in India and Netflix worked perfectly for the past month but now seems to be giving me the same proxy error that everyone else is suffering from on this thread. I connect to USA servers mostly! Please do let me know if some solution does come up. It is definitely seems to have affected an increasing number of users over the past few weeks, so I'd request the Staff to look into it. Thank you! 

I'm in India and Netflix worked perfectly for the past month but now seems to be giving me the same proxy error that everyone else is suffering from on this thread. I connect to USA servers mostly! Please do let me know if some solution does come up. It is definitely seems to have affected an increasing number of users over the past few weeks, so I'd request the Staff to look into it. Thank you! 

Hello !

That's because Netflix is cracking down on VPN/Proxy users in an effort to curb their avoidance of geo-blocking measures. Which is in itself something which comes from copyright holders telling Netflix to do so.

You can bet AirVPN works hard to keep things going though !

Moderators do not speak on behalf of AirVPN. Only the Official Staff account does. Please also do not run Tor Exit Servers behind AirVPN, thank you.
Did you make a guide or how-to for something? Then contact me to get it listed in my new user guide's Guides Section, so that the community can find it more easily.