Not connected, Your IP: 44.205.5.65
Christine2

What's the best anti-malware paired with AirVPN?

Like any software, even open source, you have to trust in others at some point, thats why I take time to keep on top of which software is rated at doing a good job over a period of time. If anything iffy was happening it would be all over the net somewhere. I do not trust any one company simply because over the years no one company has ever been capable of covering all aspects of IS whether it be their signature databases or the nature of malware being scanned or checked for. I certainly am not going to pay two or more companies when most of what they do will overlap.

This is why I choose to use many different free services targeted and covering all the areas of malware from rootkits to adware. This has served me well for a long time as previously stated.

For me, security & privacy are surely entwined since much malware is designed to find out as much as possible about you, whether it is details stored in files, your browser, your network, your cloud, or your head and fingers.

Always be weary, no matter what.

The best security is to ditch Windows software all-together and go for linux. Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare. 

Fully agreed with you. Beside that, Linux is more secure and customize. I have dumped Window OS except for gaming,  work & special software application usage.

I rarely have a problem with Linux running browser within a sandbox (beside chromium browser sandbox), back up and encrypt important files within an encrypted partition or containers. Apart from using a customize firewall, running an host base / network intrusion system, hardening the OS, daily updates of patches & using very strong password of at least 11 characters (containing uppper & lower cap letters, number, symbol and special characters) which minimize the risk of any virus, malware or hacking intrusion.I am exercise using multi antivirus engines online to scan any suspicion files . I have run my OS for 5 years upon upgrade of a new version to do a clean installation on all my systems.

Never turn back to WIndow OS for donkey years since i was a teenager.

"(beside chromium browser sandbox)" Chromium browser ( by Google) might be your weakest link. May I ask why don't you use Firefox ? http://betanews.com/2016/02/27/tor-dark-web-surveillance/

People using google chromium browser are mainly from Window user while chromium browser can be found through most Linux distribution which is open source. The reason for using chromium over firefox browser is the track record of exploits found on chromium is much lower risks and it get patch up very fast. I used to be a fan for firefox until chromium is out. Look at the track records over the years for both browsers and the security mechanism behind the browsers. Application isolation is best way to prevent hack & spread of viruses / malwares.

In addition, you can use those free malware filter through dns.

https://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/

http://dyn.com/labs/dyn-internet-guide/

http://members.greentm.co.uk/

https://dns.norton.com/https://www.opendns.com/

"(beside chromium browser sandbox)" Chromium browser ( by Google) might be your weakest link. May I ask why don't you use Firefox ? http://betanews.com/2016/02/27/tor-dark-web-surveillance/

Chromium is not Chrome. "Chromium is the open-source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code."

Differences: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29#Differences_from_Google_Chrome

Kind regards

I disagree big time with the best answer - look out for yourself and use as many services as you think you need. Do not pay a penny for any of it. No Need.

Probably he more meant the good old proverb - when you are not paying for a product, you are the product.

Just like what AVG did to their users when they decided to sell their free users data to 3d parties last year.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Probably he more meant the good old proverb - when you are not paying for a product, you are the product.

No, I didn't. More like another proverb or quote I read somewhere. I don't know if it was Linus Torvalds or someone else; something along the lines of "If something is good/worth the money, let's pay for it." And of course this does not only apply to FLOSS

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

No, I didn't. More like another proverb or quote I read somewhere. I don't know if it was Linus Torvalds or someone else; something along the lines of "If something is good/worth the money, let's pay for it." And of course this does not only apply to FLOSS

Lol. Not sure about it being a proverb but mine would go more like 'No need to pay loads of leeches to get the job done'. If there is a job to be done then it should be done well, I can go along with that and paying for quality. However Giga my mate, you haven't addressed what I feel is very important - It takes more than one product to give complete security, so are we all to pay for two, three, four, or more products to al get their hooks in and conflict for rescources bla bla. My way is I get to choose on a daily basis and keep up with stuff and it cost me nothing.

Lol. Not sure about it being a proverb but mine would go more like 'No need to pay loads of leeches to get the job done'.

Totally fine. Now think of an average internet user who doesn't want to spend a whole day configuring 10 different softwares, or even two in my experience. Pay for one you heard good things about on the net and from friends/family/coworkers and configure it, probably following some guide. Done. As I already wrote, not everyone lives on the internet!

However Giga my mate, you haven't addressed what I feel is very important - It takes more than one product to give complete security

Weeeeell... a modern antivirus suite contains pretty much everything you need for your protection. It's a unified product whose modules are most likely tested to work altogether at the same time. Can't say that about 10 softwares from different developers. I use an antivirus suite which proved its effectiveness over the past 10+ years. I support it from time to time with softwares not running in the background, just for additional reassurance, but they don't ever find anything. Doesn't say it all, but much.

so are we all to pay for two, three, four, or more products to al get their hooks in and conflict for rescources bla bla

Conflicts for resources? Are you suggesting to run two, three, four, or more antivirus programs? I think one solution that performs well is enough.

keep up with stuff and it cost me nothing.

Time is the most valuable resource. You spend it and never get it back. Think about that in connection to the average user who, again, does not live on the internet.

Not one AV does perform well enough, never has.

Never will, it's just a bunch of algorithms. I just want to say it's necessary to have something good that can aid your common sense in detecting nasty things. And paid AVs have proven to be the better options but you need to know which ones do it best. As I wrote, that's why those tests exist.

And thats why I use those tests. I do not have to constantly look everything up, its not difficult to keep abreast of everything, no need to do it minute by minute as some companies would have us believe. What sites do you use that need such heavy metal defenses?

What sites do you use that need such heavy metal defenses?

Here come examples:

• Did you ever use a social network? Do you know what shit it can link to? People click on this shit, and I honestly have yet to find out what drives them. Children are a risk group.
  • Phishing via mail. Still effective against a variety of newer internet users. Especially children and older users.
  • Child safety. Are you as sloppy as letting your children browse the web and play mobile games in the wild?
  • A bit off the point, but worth the mentioning: Mobile security/BYOD. They are in danger. And if it's infected and their work environment offers Bring Your Own Device, it can be catastrophic.

Am I supposed to configure a link blocker, a phishing mail detector and a child safety program, along with a file system on-demand scanner and a rootkit detector all separately? Weird. You can do that, if you like, but this is not a recommendation to everyone wanting to tighten up their security, because every additional software you install is one more possibility to crawl into your device. Better let this work do a good AV suite.

What sites do you use that need such heavy metal defenses?

Here come examples:

• Did you ever use a social network? Do you know what shit it can link to? People click on this shit, and I honestly have yet to find out what drives them. Children are a risk group.
  • Phishing via mail. Still effective against a variety of newer internet users. Especially children and older users.
  • Child safety. Are you as sloppy as letting your children browse the web and play mobile games in the wild?
  • A bit off the point, but worth the mentioning: Mobile security/BYOD. They are in danger. And if it's infected and their work environment offers Bring Your Own Device, it can be catastrophic.

Am I supposed to configure a link blocker, a phishing mail detector and a child safety program, along with a file system on-demand scanner and a rootkit detector all separately? Weird. You can do that, if you like, but this is not a recommendation to everyone wanting to tighten up their security, because every additional software you install is one more possibility to crawl into your device. Better let this work do a good AV suite.

Well I didn't fall for many things as a child ever since I started using internet at the age of 8 I have not used social media, have definitely never fallen for phishing. Then again didn't have an e-mail to phish till around 12, always been about privacy/anonymity, privacy and security. It's in my DNA xD I personally use F-Secure an AV can't do much which is why I got VM for file analysis and a sandbox to test things I don't know or trust and even so probably won't ever run it outside the sandbox

Paranoia, the destroyer

Now whats wrong with Paranoia lol

Now whats wrong with Paranoia lol

It's considered a mental disorder.

I personally consider living like this is unhealthy.

Posted ... (edited)

I know a little about protection, Pairing Air with something like Emsisoft AM is smart and effective

seeing the strength of their surf protection, and strong BB (Behavior Blocker)

Even HMP.A is not a bad choice, and adding a Default Deny software like NVTERP or VoodooShield ensures in the event something does slip by that your good to go.

But nothing surpasses good surf habits and Commom Sense.

Edited ... by _CyberGhosT_