Not connected, Your IP: 52.90.50.252

Hi,

I cannot connect to Netflix US from Sweden through AirVPN server in US. Netflix identifies that "You are using a proxy or an unblocker, turn them of and try again"

What to do? 

BR Tord

The main discussion is taking place in thread Netflix has actually blocked AirVPN. Head there for news.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

As per staff's request in the other thread (https://airvpn.org/topic/16534-solved-netflix-has-actually-blocked-airvpn/page-3), I am making a new thread.

I use AirVPN's client with the DNS set to run through whichever AirVPN wants.

On trying Alkaid (US), Carinae (UK), Cephei (CA) and Yildun (US) with MS Window's Netflix programme, I was unable to watch anything. Each server returned the same response: You seem to be using a proxy, please disable to use access our library. Or something along those lines anyway.

So, what now?

Hello!

It's a problem of the program you're using. Netflix USA is perfectly accessible from the servers you cite. The Netflix application does not run correctly on our testing system. In one three of our testing systems with Windows 10, it even crashes regularly. We confirm there are no problems with Netflix USA.

Kind regards

Are you guys sure you are using air dns? How are you connecting to air?

I just tried 3 usa servers and all of them worked. My setup from the test is a windows 10 machine, not using the eddie client but behind a router running tomato and open vpn client using the air dns 10.4.0.1 as primary.

Edit: forgot to mention not using a windows 10 app I use firefox to watch netflix. Working fine.

​I haven't tested on Windows, as I do not own or use any Windows-machine. I use Netflix on an Apple-TV box (behind a VPN-router) and it refuse to play any of the videos. I suspect that the Apple-TV connects to some Netflix-resources that is not used when you only play videos directly from a browser. Thus the rerouting via AirDNS is not optimized for this type of Netflix-application.

I have an Asus Router running Merlin.  I have OpenVPN configured on the router and set to use Air DNS server.  When connected to a US Air server I can play US Netflix from within Chrome on a Windows 10 machine.  However, when trying to play Netflix content on the same Windows 10 machine using the Windows Store App I get the proxy/VPN blocked message.  All clients are using wifi.

A test with a Roku player and an older LG TV showed that both of those also give the blocked message when connected to the same network.

So, it seems that the Netflix apps are doing some additional checks that the browser is not doing (probably because they can't do those checks in the "sandboxed" browser environment).

I then tried to explicitly block google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4) as well as changing the OpenVPN mssfix value to avoid OpenVPN detection (https://medium.com/@ValdikSS/detecting-vpn-and-its-configuration-and-proxy-users-on-the-server-side-1bcc59742413) but I still received the blocked message.

I have an Asus Router running Merlin.  I have OpenVPN configured on the router and set to use Air DNS server.  When connected to a US Air server I can play US Netflix from within Chrome on a Windows 10 machine.  However, when trying to play Netflix content on the same Windows 10 machine using the Windows Store App I get the proxy/VPN blocked message.  All clients are using wifi.

A test with a Roku player and an older LG TV showed that both of those also give the blocked message when connected to the same network.

So, it seems that the Netflix apps are doing some additional checks that the browser is not doing (probably because they can't do those checks in the "sandboxed" browser environment).

I then tried to explicitly block google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4) as well as changing the OpenVPN mssfix value to avoid OpenVPN detection (https://medium.com/@ValdikSS/detecting-vpn-and-its-configuration-and-proxy-users-on-the-server-side-1bcc59742413) but I still received the blocked message.

adding the setting "mssfix 0"  to obfuscate openvpn usage may not matter since you aren't changing it on the server as well.

adding the setting "mssfix 0"  to obfuscate openvpn usage may not matter since you aren't changing it on the server as well.

Actually, it did seem to make a difference for OpenVPN detection as well as the displayed MTU according to http://witch.valdikss.org.ru/

I was disappointed to see the original thread was locked and marked as "Solved" when this is still a serious problem for many users, including myself.

Here's my story...

The other day I saw the Netflix wasn't working on my TV (same "You are using a proxy or unblocker..." error that others are getting). I turned off AirVPN on my home router and Netflix worked again.

My setup is I have DD-WRT on my home router configured to use the AirVPN server Heze. My TV has a wireless connection to my router to stream movies on Netflix.

I'm in the US and I want to use a US AirVPN server and I still want to be able to watch Netflix.

Is there a way to configure my router to do this? Reading this and other threads hasn't helped me, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Suggesting I go here (https://airvpn.org/topic/922-netflix) as recommended in the original thread doesn't help because that's a single post with a link to Netflix and has the Status: OK.

Any helpful tips will be greatly appreciated!

Actually, it did seem to make a difference for OpenVPN detection as well as the displayed MTU according to http://witch.valdikss.org.ru/

all my testing has shown that "mssfix 0" makes no difference for AirVPN connections on the witch detection.  but that is with linux OS.  maybe windows 10 is different.

@mrmindway

Please make sure that your router queries VPN DNS servers and that the devices connected to the router query either VPN DNS servers or router (and not any other DNS).

Kind regards

Hi,

I am fairly new to VPNs and to this great forum too. I have learned already a lots of new things, which I am grateful. My problem is with VPN-Netflix and iOS. I have no idea what do I wrong, but suddenly beginning of January I have received the infamous message when I have tried to watch netflix while I was connected to US exit points. I do not have the message if I connect to Canadian exit points. I am in Mexico currently for 3 more weeks, so every little help is greatly appreciated.

I have the opposite experience, the servers are redirecting all my netflix traffic to the US one,

which means I can no longer access some shows that are only available in certain European regions.

@mrmindway

Please make sure that your router queries VPN DNS servers and that the devices connected to the router query either VPN DNS servers or router (and not any other DNS).

Kind regards

This is a photo of my TV network settings that Netflix sees. It gets the DNS info from the router. Are these the correct DNS servers for AirVPN to work with Netflix?

xSQaePN.jpg

Thanks very much!

I am using Windows 10 and Chrome. And it did not work for me before, but this was an easy fix.

Sorry, not really very tech-savvy...and for everyone else that is not: 
Under preferences under the 'Advanced 'tab, check both: 'check if the tunnel use AirVNP DNS' and 'Force DNS'.
That did the trick for me. 

cheers

I don't issue is not resolved yet, I can't connect to netflix from some NL servers now even with the 10.4.0.1 set on the media player.

I can get the Canada store today through Yessup

None of the US servers work (tried earlier) using Canada servers and the LA servers, they just show the Canadian netflix or block proxy message.

Just switching around IP's and finding to find working servers now at router level

Sounds like you still aren't using AirVPN DNS somehow. Canada servers redirect to United States Netflix vis DNS. If you are getting the Canada store from Canada, something is wrong. I get the U.S. Netflix from Canada.

I still hit Canada Netflix from Canada servers and US Netflix from the US server I connect to.  Everything on my LAN uses the Air dns servers (via pfsense dns forwarder).  Mind you, I actually prefer it to work how it is and not how it's supposed to so I'm not complaining, but just providing another data point.  Some stuff isn't available in US and so I get it via Canada (or Europe as needed) and then I route thru the US Air server whenever I need to get content via the US library.  I have yet to be blocked by netflix from any of the Canadian or US servers I connect thru.

Sounds like you still aren't using AirVPN DNS somehow. Canada servers redirect to United States Netflix vis DNS. If you are getting the Canada store from Canada, something is wrong. I get the U.S. Netflix from Canada.

I think it's either I'm not hitting AirVPN DNS or AirVPN DNS is not handling all scenarios.  I suspect it's the latter (but could well be wrong) because:

1) All my configuration is done on my Asus Router running Merlin

2) Windows 10 Chrome browser can access US Netflix

3) In my last test Netflix Windows App on the same Windows 10 machine as #2 can access Us Netflix (although this test has failed before)

4) LG Smart TV displays US Titles but receives proxy block message when attempting to stream

5) Standalone Roku Player displays US Titles but receives proxy block message when attempting to stream

6) All devices connect over the same wifi network

The only difference that I can see (at a high level) is the device type and Netflix app type/version.  Maybe they are overriding some DNS internally?

It was using 10.4.0.1, but the homepage was Canada's and would load Canada netflix.

Did a restore from a US exit, now I see PBS news again and netflix US store loads.

4) LG Smart TV displays US Titles but receives proxy block message when attempting to stream

Yes, I'm seeing the same behavior except I'm in the US.

I have the opposite experience, the servers are redirecting all my netflix traffic to the US one,

which means I can no longer access some shows that are only available in certain European regions.

Actually that's what i'm experiencing, too.

Ipleak.net only shows the IP i'm connected to. But i only get the Netflix US content.

A few weeks ago i would connect to a german server to get the german content, a uk server for the uk content, a us server for the us content...

Now i connect to a german server and get the US content?

Anyone got an Idea why/how this is happening?