Not connected, Your IP: 44.201.131.213

The to-do list was meant for Mr. neptr. He apparently was using TAP 9.9.1 which we found out to not be able to work with Windows 10. The idea was to let Eddie upgrade the driver to 9.21 I believe, then use Revo to purge it and install TAP 9.9.2 as if it's been installed the first time. Eddie itself does not need to be reinstalled.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Right, thanks for the quick reply, but I'm still a bit confused.
I'm using Windows 7 and have the sloooowww torrent problem.
Is it still recommended to replace the current TAP with TAP 9.9.2 3 ?
If this is the case then I just start at step 4, correct?

Thanks again.

Just uninstall the old (9.21!) driver, disable the driver upgrade and install the new (9.9). Revo is more like a last resort to "start from scratch".

After downgrading from TAP 9.21.2 to 9.9.2_3 everything works wonderful again but now there seems to be two simultaneous connections; home network and a public network.

When I boot up my computer the home network is the first connection to appear and after I boot up eddie with Network Lock enabled it makes a second connection, the public connection.  I'm on Windows 7 Pro.

Is this 'normal'?  Is eddie still making a secure connection?

Thank You for your help.

Hi,

I used the approach recommended above to downgrade, but after a week or so, I found that my Windows 8.1 system was back at 9.21.

I followed the instructions to reinstall the 9.9 version using Revo and rebooting etc, but everytime I looked in Control Panel it would have installed 9.21

Eventually I worked out that there was a directory, in Windows/System32/Driverstore/oemwin2k.inf_amd64  which contained a complete copy of the 9.21 drivers which Windows was installing instead of the 9.9.2 drivers.

Deleting this directory only caused the install to fail.

So evenually, I overwrote the file in windows/system32/drivers with the earlier 9.9.2 version and all now seems to be back to the normal speed.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get rid of the later version in Driverstore and perform a proper install of the 9.9 driver?

Thanks

Can anyone give me some advice on how to get rid of the later version in Driverstore and perform a proper install of the 9.9 driver?

1. Run (Win+R) > devmgmt.msc
  2. Look for TAP driver in Network Interfaces, press Delete button
  3. Check the box on removing the driver from the PC.

Thanks for that I will give it a try.

1. Run (Win+R) > devmgmt.msc
  2. Look for TAP driver in Network Interfaces, press Delete button
  3. Check the box on removing the driver from the PC.

Hey Giganerd, any ideas on a revo uninstaller type program? my trial ran out on it and can't use that anyone to re-roll back my drivers.

1. edit - tried to do the driver rollback above without revos comprehensive uninstall. iused another program called iobit uninstall (which seemed to be crap), and persistent drop to 0 kbps download issue is still apparent.

i knew the uninstall didnt work correctly, when after removing eddie/tap and re-installing eddie, when it loaded up it already had all my configurations listed as before. so obv it didnt uninstall it all correctly.

but yeah followed the process and it doesnt seem to  be fixed without the proper install i think.

2. edit edit - i also tried that new tip from above about going into driver settings and setting media status as "Always connected", and that seems to have improved the connection instantly i think?? have also paused uploads as mentioned also.

Will see how this goes as others reported they have had the issue re-occur with this fix too.

3. edit edit edit - yeah as others reported -- its still dropping. much less frequently atleast, but yes it is still dropping. it's a definite improvement but not a fix thus far.

But for peace of mind i would like to get a fresh re-install of the programs to ensure all my drivers and programs are reset correctly too, because last time that fixed everything perfectly on its own.

Well, in this case I'd recommend browsing old version databases like oldapps.com and oldversion.com but they both write 1.94 is the most recent version which is, well, ancient. You could try it, should work with Windows 7 at least, but I don't guarantee anything.

it's okay, i bought a revo subscription for the peace of mind and re-did the process correctly this time. I think it should be fine now, as this time when i re-installed eddie, it was completely blank as it should be.

With this advanced media settings being set to "always connected", just to confirm, is that advisable for TAP 9.9.2_3 for to-ren-ting stability?

And should it be applied before opening eddie and applying network locks etc?

Should it always be left as "always connected" , or reset back to application controlled afterwards?

Should it always be left as "always connected" , or reset back to application controlled afterwards?

You could try resetting it to Application Controlled, just to see if it goes well.

Thank you so much! Speed literally went from 10% of line rate to closer to 90%+ after downgrading driver - I had just accepted this as the status quo, and had been thinking about trying other providers!

TAP 9.0.0.9 > TAP 9.9

TAP 9.0.0.21 > TAP 9.21

If there's going to be a TAP 9.30, it would be shown as 9.0.0.30, if nothing changes.

I think I have solved this problem. I'm a network administrator so I'm used to dealing with weird problems like this. I have been running a torrent program for 12 hours now with no dropouts at all, I downloaded 3 gig of files. This went up to the maximum upload speed with no problems. Before this it would disconnect every few minutes. I went through most of these fixes with pia, I gave up on them as none seemed to work and came here then found the same problem. Here is my theory of what the problem really is, and why some of these fixes help a little.

One clue was how the torrent tornado program didn't cause disconnections so the issue seems to be in uploads only. Another was in a forum where they said the router can grind the traffic to a halt so it stops completely. Also the tap adapter seems to get stuck, it can be freed by disabling it and then reenabling it. It relates to the openvpn driver, a message comes on that it is still running when this happens.

The problem seems to be the tap adapter driver times out and closes, then when a session tries to reconnect it can't find the tap adapter. The openvpn driver still has some data so it doesn't close, it keeps trying to connect to the tap adapter. This might be caused by the router getting congested, there could be no packets going through so the tap adapter closes. Another possibility is some buffers get full, you can increase the size of the buffers in the arirvpn preferences which may help this. My guess is airvpn tries to reconnect to the old session to resend the packets it still has, this is impossible because the TAP adapter has closed that session in a timeout. This is likely because UDP packets would be lost if discarded resulting in data being corrupted, I doubt the program would act different with the UDP and TCP settings. It can't restart the TAP adapter without losing some packets so it gets caught in  a loop.

The reason that changing settings in an antivirus helps is that the congestion might come from packet inspections, it slows down the traffic to the point where the tap adaptor times out and shuts down. Some firewall rules might also do this, it gets hit by so many UDP packets that it gets congested causing the timeout. This would explain why TCP helps because the packets would be resent keeping the TAP adapter working. To check this theory it would be necessary to talk to someone at Microsoft that worked on coding the TAP adapter, not difficult to do.

This is different to the explanation I got from support, that the TAP adapter was still in use so disabling and reenabling it freed it up. Some earlier versions of the TAP adapter might have a different timeout or not shut down, that would explain why they help sometimes. But the problem seems to be in this congestion in the torrent program, the openvpn driver, or the router. 

The solution then is simple, make sure the TAP adapter doesn't shut down. There is a setting that is called media status in the advanced tab. This is set to application controlled, that probably means an application is closing the TAP adapter when the packets get too congested. We don't know what that application is, it might be a Microsoft driver not the openvpn driver. Just set this to always connected. Now the TAP adapter cannot shut down from congestion. Since doing this it has never once dropped out for me with torrenting. I don't see how it can drop out with this setting.

It may not work for you, however I have not been able to find this solution posted anywhere on vpn forums. It makes sense and seems to explain why the fixes work a bit, and it is not dropping out for me any more. My explanation is probably not completely accurate, it would be necessary to talk to someone coding these drivers to get the exact situation.

Thanks for the tip! I think your story holds. Let me start off by saying that disabling and enabling the TAP driver ends the loop (disconnecting > authorization failed and so fort) in which Eddie gets stuck after my torrents nosedive to 0kb/s. That said, I have tried every solution available on the forum and none would work:

- Reinstalling Eddie

- Reinstalling my network drivers

- Using a different version of Eddie (2.10 and 2.11)

- Using a different version of the TAP driver (9.21.0, 9.21.1 and 9.21.2) -> haven't been able to install any version of the 9.9 driver on the latest build of Windows 10 (build 14393), it persistently gives me an error (which makes sense, because the driver was meant for Windows XP and older)

- Changing the media status to always connected

I have finally managed to fix the problem by changing the packet rules of my Kasperksy firewall. The local services (TCP and UDP) - inbound were set to "block". By changing them to "by application rules" and adding AirVPN and the TAP driver to the trusted applications, my problem with p2p software was fixed.

I've been having long standing problems with TAP 9.21 and have had to resort to rolling back to TAP 9.9 and disabling driver updates in preferences. Just installed Eddie 2.12.4 and was hoping this would be solved but have had to revert to TAP 9.9 after several attempts at upgrading TAP driver. I'm concerned that using an old TAP driver could be a security risk. I'm open to other suggestions to resolve this problem. I'm using Windows 10 Home Premium (just had a major windows update a couple of days ago if this is contributing to the problem) 64 bit and have Firefox as my main browser.

Is there a truly working solution to the infinite TAP install failure under Windows 10 Pro 1511 (Build 10586.679)?  I searched and found advice to install the older driver v9.9.1 and disable driver updates, but whenever I launch eddie-ui_2.12.4_windows-10_x64, I still always get the driver install failed message!

Where's the fix?