Not connected, Your IP: 44.210.235.247

I had problems with my ISP:s DNS servers showing up on DNS leak tests. It seems that this is a Windows 10 related problem and is fixed in OpenVPN 2.3.9 when using the --block-outside-dns configuration option.

I managed to fix leaks by switching to OpenVPN-GUI-client and adding block-outside-dns to the AirVPN configuration file. It might also be possible to use the plugin in Eddie's OpenVPN-version. I haven't tested this because I'm happy with the OpenVPN-GUI for now.

The plugin can be found from here:

https://github.com/ValdikSS/openvpn-fix-dns-leak-plugin

Hopefully this is helpful for someone.

Thanks for the info. I just upgraded to windows 10 again and have been having some issues with the vpn service randomly stops working and cant access the internet.(Everything works fine when I shut down Airvpn) Didn't have this issue with Windows 8.1. I have tried different servers from the Airvpn program, but it still does it. Do you know if it's some type of 'feature' Microsoft added that is causing this?

So if I use Openvpn, I just add the '--block-outside-dns' to the 'ovpn' config file? Does it matter what part its added too? The other part says to add the .dll file name to the openvpn config file. I just don't know the correct one besides the ones I setup for the servers I use. Thanks

@Newbie: I've put the line at the end of my files. It's working.

Since I put the line in my configs, the down stream is about 10 to 15 Mbps lower than without this line. The Ping and the Upstream are the the same as without --block-outside-dns. Why is my downstream lower and how can i prevent this?

@coa204 I don´t know if it matters where you add the line but I put it where all the other config options are without the "--" in the front (block-outside-dns).

edit: and yes it is the .ovpn-file.

@tishurtn I haven't noticed any problems with download speeds, I have no idea what might be causing your problems.

Just set your primary network interface controller's DNS to static 10.4.0.1 and DNS leaks are gone. There's no need for any kind of plugins.

It will not revert back, though, so what I did is, I wrote a script to toggle antileak if I wanted to. Also, I connect to AirVPN using IP addresses.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

I've been rather worried about what to do about this DNS leak reported by AirVPN's little IP tool at ipleak.net, what I didn't know was that such a nifty command had been added to OpenVPN as of late.

After reading this, I've updated my OpenVPN to enable the command, and the leak is gone. Thanks, very helpful!

Just set your primary network interface controller's DNS to static 10.4.0.1 and DNS leaks are gone. There's no need for any kind of plugins.

It will not revert back, though, so what I did is, I wrote a script to toggle antileak if I wanted to. Also, I connect to AirVPN using IP addresses.

I don't suppose you would share the DNS revert / toggle script please? I use another VPN service and I have to manually change the DNS on the TAP interface after using AIR otherwise lookups fail.

Thanks

change the DNS on the TAP interface

The script toggles DNS of your primary physical network interface. TAP gets its config from OpenVPN and deletes it after the connection is closed.

Copy this code, paste it into a notepad and save it as something.cmd. Remember to launch it with admin privileges, otherwise netsh won't work.

@echo off
echo ##############################################################
echo ### Changes your DNS to 10.4.0.1 and back to DHCP.         ###
echo ### http://dnsleaktest.com/how-to-fix-a-dns-leak.html      ###
echo ### Semi-automatic, transparent alternative to the exe.    ###
echo ### Change "Ethernet" to the name of your interface!       ###
echo ##############################################################
ipconfig /flushdns
goto begin
:begin
echo --------------------------------------------------------------
echo Type "1" to deploy, "2" to reverse, and anything else to exit.
set /P pick=
if %pick%==1 (goto depl) else if %pick%==2 (goto rev) else (goto end)
:depl
echo Deploying antileak...
netsh interface IPv4 set dnsservers "Ethernet 2" static 10.4.0.1 both no
echo Done.
goto end
:rev
echo Reversing antileak...
netsh interface IPv4 set dnsservers "Ethernet 2" dhcp
echo Done.
goto end
:end
pause
exit

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.