Not connected, Your IP: 44.215.110.142
Sign in to follow this  
Beetlejuice

Very slow download speed, new user.

Hello, I just purchased one month to try out the software. The client is very simple to use by the way.

I find my download speed is very slow when connected to a server.

I have tried several servers and one is faster then the other it seems also surfing the web is kind of sluggish.

However the only real reliable way to do a speedtest in my findings is to either use the speedtest from your ISP or to download a big file from a fast server.

Which I am doing now by downloading a game from Steam.

Normally I get 10 Mega Byte/second but now only 200 Kilo Byte/sec.

I have configured absolutely nothing. I just ran the client, picked a server and that's it.

I did read multiple forum topics about the same issue but didn't understand much of it to be honest.

How can I fix this, I don't even need my full 10 MB/s, I would be happy if I get half.

Edit

An update.

My torrent speed doesn't seem affected all that much but browsing is. Sometimes websites, even Google, take 30 seconds to load. Sometimes it is lightning fast.

This happens on all VPN servers I have tested so far. Speed is fine one moment and a moment later it is super slow.

It seems worse on servers further from my location but can't be sure.

Sometimes one website loads fast while an another, in another tab, is stuck loading.

It happens with Firefox and Chrome.

This is most likely a problem with DNS.

I just had the same issue, changed my /etc/resolv.conf which was poining to the vpn server an voila, fast loading pages in my browser.

Point is, by doing that you're still giving away info about what you're browsing to the DNS server you're querying. I don't understand why their DNS servers are so slow to respond sometimes. Maybe they're not queried often enough and need to constantly refresh queried records at their upstream DNS servers.

I just had the same issue, changed my /etc/resolv.conf which was poining to the vpn server an voila, fast loading pages in my browser.

Point is, by doing that you're still giving away info about what you're browsing to the DNS server you're querying. I don't understand why their DNS servers are so slow to respond sometimes. Maybe they're not queried often enough and need to constantly refresh queried records at their upstream DNS servers.

Hello!

We do not detect any problem with our VPN nameservers, please specify which server(s) you experience "slow resolution" on.

With your setup, you provide info about the names you resolve to the final nameserver administrators, but such requests come from our VPN servers, so your privacy is preserved anyway. However, the problem is worth an investigation because only by querying our VPN DNS you can access the geo-routing service and resolve names in OpenNIC and NameCoin namespaces.

Kind regards

Hello!

We do not detect any problem with our VPN nameservers, please specify which server(s) you experience "slow resolution" on.

With your setup, you provide info about the names you resolve to the final nameserver administrators, but such requests come from our VPN servers, so your privacy is preserved anyway. However, the problem is worth an investigation because only by querying our VPN DNS you can access the geo-routing service and resolve names in OpenNIC and NameCoin namespaces.

Kind regards

I will need to check it out next time it happens. VPN is currently not active (I just took a 1 month to try it out) but I should be able to test it later tonight. When I run into a similar issue I will post the details.

I am now connected to Talitha/NL and it seems to work fine.

Mind you I didn't open the topic and never complained about very slow speeds. I only acknowledged the (sometimes) slow DNS resolving and tried to offer a suggestion that worked for me.

Just tested a few GB download and I seem to be getting 4-6MB/s, sometimes peaking to 8MB/s. I think that's very good speed!

I forgot to add; while I am generally reasonably good at computer problem solving this does not count for network issues.

For that subject find myself woefully unequipped.

Could you elaborate how I would accomplish this fix you are suggesting?

Try to generate another config with another VPN server.

I am in the same boat as you, one month to try it out and I'm having other issues of my own at the moment with my router.

On what platform are you running your VPN client (WIndows/Linux/Router)?

Try to generate another config with another VPN server.

I am in the same boat as you, one month to try it out and I'm having other issues of my own at the moment with my router.

On what platform are you running your VPN client (WIndows/Linux/Router)?

I am using the Airvpn client with default settings. On Windows 7.

Status update.

When connected to a server in my own country, or a country close by, it works. I get good download speeds (testing with speedtest.net) and websites load fast most of the time.

No idea really why, I did not change any settings.

However, when connected to a server far away, websites are loading much slower and my download speed is only 10% or less of what I should get. (tested with speedtest.net and choosing a server in the same country as the VPN server)

Maybe this is normal?

Status update.

When connected to a server in my own country, or a country close by, it works. I get good download speeds (testing with speedtest.net) and websites load fast most of the time.

However, when connected to a server far away, websites are loading much slower and my download speed is only 10% or less of what I should get. (tested with speedtest.net and choosing a server in the same country as the VPN server)

Maybe this is normal?

Yes it is normal.

If the sun exploded, we wouldn't know for several minutes due to the distance from us to the sun & speed of light. Similar concept with networking: the further the distance you're sending traffic, the longer you'll need to wait for a response.

Status update.

Maybe this is normal?

I have been having the same issue for a while now, last few weeks.  Very slow DNS lookups and name resolution.  All I have to do is drop the vpn connection and my browser will connect immediately.  When I say slow I am not talking 1-5 seconds I am talking about over 20-30 seconds and sometimes never getting to a site like google or yahoo as a test. The browser says resolving so I know it is waiting on the DNS.  I am running OpenVPN on W7.   I leave the VPN on all the time but do notice if I start and stop and get a different server that sometimes helps.  Well speak of opportune timing it just took over 20 seconds to bring up a second Airvpn window and I am connected to Acamar.  This is at about 4:31 PM EST. Shut down the vpn and instant connection. Now connected to Persei, better but not great.

Status update.

Maybe this is normal?

Yes it is normal.

If the sun exploded, we wouldn't know for several minutes due to the distance from us to the sun & speed of light. Similar concept with networking: the further the distance you're sending traffic, the longer you'll need to wait for a response.

But that doesn't explain sometimes websites loading blazing fast and a minute later they take 30 seconds to load..

Yes it does. Once you are already connected, when you are in mid stream, the latency effect is lessened by the open pipeline, if you will. When you go to make a fresh connection, you will experience all of the latency.

I have been having the same issue for a while now, last few weeks.  Very slow DNS lookups and name resolution.  All I have to do is drop the vpn connection and my browser will connect immediately.  When I say slow I am not talking 1-5 seconds I am talking about over 20-30 seconds and sometimes never getting to a site like google or yahoo as a test. The browser says resolving so I know it is waiting on the DNS.  I am running OpenVPN on W7.   I leave the VPN on all the time but do notice if I start and stop and get a different server that sometimes helps.  Well speak of opportune timing it just took over 20 seconds to bring up a second Airvpn window and I am connected to Acamar.  This is at about 4:31 PM EST. Shut down the vpn and instant connection. Now connected to Persei, better but not great.

Status update.

Maybe this is normal?

What I find weird; I can open a tab and go to Google and it gets stuck on loading, then open another tab to open another website which does load. Then 30 seconds later the tab with Google finally loads. And vice versa.

This happens to me, but only in the approximately 45 seconds after I successfully connect to a VPN server through Eddie. It's almost like the settings haven't finished propagating. Once I finish connecting in that time window though, it never does it again for the duration of the session. I can live with som wonkiness in the first minute.

This happens to me, but only in the approximately 45 seconds after I successfully connect to a VPN server through Eddie. It's almost like the settings haven't finished propagating. Once I finish connecting in that time window though, it never does it again for the duration of the session. I can live with som wonkiness in the first minute.

I have that to. When connected to a server close by only the first minute or so browsing is slow like you describe.

However, when connected to a server far away (the further away the worse it becomes) loading websites continues to give issues; sometimes loading near instant and a while later taking 30 seconds.

When I say slow I am not talking 1-5 seconds I am talking about over 20-30 seconds and sometimes never getting to a site like google or yahoo as a test

I didn't read all of the thread yet, but it looks like you might be trying to resolve IPv6 first and failing. Can you completely disable IPv6 on your OS and see how it goes?