Not connected, Your IP: 54.163.14.144
Sign in to follow this  
wnein

AirVPN only through one specific browser.

I need a way to run the VPN only through the Chrome browser.  I would like to keep all other functionality of the network in place.  The most ideal would be a Chrome plugin that I could use my AirVPN credentials.  This would be great so that only Chrome is effected and I could potentially disable it with the Chrome extension when needed.

I searched through the forums but could only find this post which seems to have gone off topic. https://airvpn.org/topic/9911-setup-airvpn-as-a-proxy/?hl=%2Bchrome+%2Bonly

I hope someone has an idea on how to implement this.

1.9 years later. Are there any updates on this?

Routes is something similar, but if I route some IP inside VPN, it still makes it system-wide not only for some specific browser. Would be great if there were some additional field for .exe path.

You can try using ForceBindIP, there are some addons for it to have a GUI for it instead of having to use it in CMD maybe this solves your problem.

Each OS has it's own way to control applications and their "access" to the network, in simple words.

Unfortunately Windows does not provide any way to do it, and the only possible option is to use API hooks

such as "ForceBindIP" does. Since this approach is not mature, and prone to many leaks, it cannot be part

of Eddie,  the mission of which is to provide simple and safe by default VPN connectivity for the entire OS.

Windows users can use solutions like ForceBindIP,  on their own risk, as an unofficial 3d party solution.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

You can try using ForceBindIP, there are some addons for it to have a GUI for it instead of having to use it in CMD maybe this solves your problem.

This will probably not work any more for Firefox. ForceBindIP does not catch sub-processes that get spawned and re-inject the DLL that intercepts system calls. It has not worked with Chrome for a while because Chrome has used multiple sub-processes for some time. Now Firefox does too.

I use this method:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9491-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-just-for-torrenting-on-windows/?p=49046

So suppress the VPN from being the default gateway by adding routing table entries with a "192.0.0.0" mask (look at the original guide in that thread for an explanation) and run SQUID (under Cygwin) "bound" to the VPN IP interface. Then set up a Firefox profile (I believe Chrome also has profiles) to use that SQUID process as an HTTP proxy.

If there is an easier way, I have not found it.

This way works very reliably. No leaks.

If you know how to set up Linux (or BSD) on a VM (e.g. VirtualBox), then on that you could run the VPN (as the default gateway, for simplicity) and also SQUID (now with no need for a complicated configuration for SQUID). Using SQUID rather than a "dynamic" SSH connection (i.e. SOCKS) to the VM has the advantage that you can use the AirVPN DNS server - again just for that browser profile.

AirVPN has made it clear that they will not be setting up proxies. So it is a matter of doing it yourself or forgetting about it.