Not connected, Your IP: 52.54.103.76
Aaronson

Eddie (AirVPN client) freezes after sleep - OSx

After awakening my Macbook  (after some time, I guess when it hibernates) Eddie gets unresponsive (spinning beachball hovering the icon) and is quite often not able to reconnect.

This to the point that a reboot is needed to get AirVPN app working again. Visiting the forum to report the issue I see that the airvpn.org website still considers me connected to a AirVPN server. So I guess the connection is still active but the app (after sleep/hibernation) isn't aware of this and tries to reconnect which it is obviously unable to do so, still being connected. 

Does anyone has some insight on how to fix the Airvpn app in getting unresponsive? 

same problem there. sometimes it wakes up and reconnect itself but more often just tries to disconnect and freezes.

force quit needed and restart app.

it was happening in Linux as well.

only way to keep it running properly is to always disconnect prior shut down, sleep and so on

Same problem, times out after 10000 milliseconds. Says I have two and three sessions active. Can anyone tell me whether or not uninstalling and reinstalling my OS will get rid of Eddie so my mac behaves normally?

I had to reboot both my Macs this morning as both apps crashed (repeatedly). A reboot and using 2.11.15 is the only half-baked solution so far as clearly Apple changed something fundamental in latest Sierra update.

Same issue as OP (version 2.12.4 - MacOS 10.12.4). It was fine with version 2.10.3 which I think I m going to retrograde to.

When the app crashes, IP is still hidden (as for OP). But if you force quit the app, your true IP is revealed (although airvpn.org shows that you are still connected), and it is then impossible to reconnect. You need to reboot to fix.

Atleast I'm not the only one..

Eddie has become more and more unstable with every version for me. 

The most annoying thing is the crash/freezing when putting my mac into sleep mode. Sometimes it even freezes when i just want to connect to another server. COmbined with the requirement of admin pass every time you start eddie, than can be extremely annoying.

Also, I'm somehow having connection problems itself. It's not about the protocol, i've tried them all. It seems to be random, sometimes the authentication doesn't proceed, sometimes the route checking is in infinite loop. 

I like Eddie in general and graphical UI's, but in it's current condition, i'd rather use some native openvpn app tbh.

After my Macbook was in sleep mode tonight Eddie doesn't work anymore. 

"Checking Route" is in infinite loop.

I've restarted both, the App and my Computer. Dosen't solve the problem. Now I use Tunnelblick, it works fine.

Eddie has been very unstable for me, too, using OSX 10.12.4 now. Freezes after sleep, disconnects, constant "checking routes", and sometimes it just drops the connection and reconnects to another server without any warning that the connection had been broken. It seemed to start with Eddie 2.11 or 2.11.15, and it's gotten worse with 2.12.4. 

I was using Viscosity before I started using Eddie, but with all the disconnects, I hate to do without Network Lock. 

I just tried to re-download 2.10.3, and after unpacking it says 2.8. I think I remember there being an error in the info box, and it was 2.10.3 after all even though it said 2.8. Is this correct?

EDIT: Never mind, I tried it anyway and the GUI vibrates like crazy. It wouldn't connect anyway, it would just sit there vibrating, so now I'm using 2.11. I just hope this works better. <sigh/>

I'm sad to admit that I'm passively looking at other VPN providers.

The servers are great; far better than my previous provider.

But Eddie is bloody awful. Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes, but since moving to AirVPN last year, ALL my internet woes have centred on Eddie and I have to conclude that it lacks the flexibility and good housekeeping (e.g. tidy up routines when it crashes) to run comfortably on a Mac, because the number of times it's caused my Macs problems is no longer funny.   

Disabling the Ping / Latency Tests (Preferences > Advanced) fixed this issue for me. Eddie crashes after generating logs similar to reported GitHub issue #57. Eddie v2.12.4 does not crash on my macOS machine now.

Of course disabling latency tests does not score the servers, so I am relying on the server load % in the server's tab or Air's status page to find the best server to connect.

Also I would not recommend using an older version of Eddie.

Same issue here on my Macbook (version 2.12.4 - MacOS 10.12.4). Please staff could you help ? Thanks a lot.

Disabling the Ping / Latency Tests (Preferences > Advanced) fixed this issue for me. Eddie crashes after generating logs similar to reported GitHub issue #57. Eddie v2.12.4 does not crash on my macOS machine now.

I confess I turned off all the suggestions (as recommended in another post). Rebooted and reverted to 2.12.4 and ... my Mac crashed on first disconnect / reconnect.   So I went back to 2.11.15 and so far no lockups or crashes. But crashes seem somewhat random anyway.

I always disconnect Eddie before my Macs sleep now... On the scale of life's woes, Eddie really isn't that important, but I rather like my software to "just work" and not require being treated with tender care.

it is getting progressively worst.

unsure whether App is damaged or Apple has changed something in core system.

============

UPDATE

it looks like it has something to do with with memory leaks and long uptime combined with sleep/close lid.

Before reboot I could even connect with Eddie. After reboot, everything back to normal.

It looks like it may be related

Hey folks, same problem here. Here's my solution; it usually resolves the issue within ~30 seconds without a need for a reboot.

1) Once you confirm Eddie isn't responding (app won't come on screen), force-close it (Apple at top left -> force quit -> Eddie)

2) Bring up Terminal.

3) First, check if there are any instances of Eddie still running after the force-quit by typing `ps aux | grep airvpn`. Note: background instances of Eddie are what, at least for me, have resulted in multiple shadow connections to AirVPN running, and killing them fixes it.

3.1) If any are running (besides the grep command you just ran), kill it. Find the PID (it's a 1-5 digit number) and type `kill PID` where PID is that number, e.g. `kill 20132`

3.2) Check `ps aux | grep airvpn` again; it may take a few seconds for it to fully quit. If it refuses to quit even after 10 seconds, type `kill -9 PID`. This should force it to quit.

4) Type these commands: `sudo route -n flush`, then `sudo ifconfig en0 down`, then `sudo ifconfig en0 up`. You will need to know your laptop's admin password for this, as sudo will ask for it.

4.1) Note: these assume that en0 is your active wifi interface. You should notice your wifi drops at `down` and resumes at `up`. If not, type `ifconfig` and see which interface lists a status of `active`.

5) Reload Eddie, try connecting again. Post your results here  

Note: I've made aliases in console for a few of these. I have `pgrep` aliased to `ps aux | grep airvpn`, and `aflush` aliased to `sudo route -n flush;sudo ifconfig en0 down;sudo ifconfig en0 up`. Saves a lot of time on something that I'm forced to do multiple times per day. You can create permanent aliases by modifying your `~/.bash_profile` file; I'd look up instructions online if you're not familiar.

All of this is a rough hack for the real issue, of course, which is that Eddie deals hideously poorly with sleep mode on OSX. This is very close to a deal-breaker for me: on my Windows PC, it works great, but most of my work is done on my Mac these days.

Hey folks, same problem here. Here's my solution; it usually resolves the issue within ~30 seconds without a need for a reboot.

1) Once you confirm Eddie isn't responding (app won't come on screen), force-close it (Apple at top left -> force quit -> Eddie)

2) Bring up Terminal.

3) First, check if there are any instances of Eddie still running after the force-quit by typing `ps aux | grep airvpn`. Note: background instances of Eddie are what, at least for me, have resulted in multiple shadow connections to AirVPN running, and killing them fixes it.

3.1) If any are running (besides the grep command you just ran), kill it. Find the PID (it's a 1-5 digit number) and type `kill PID` where PID is that number, e.g. `kill 20132`

3.2) Check `ps aux | grep airvpn` again; it may take a few seconds for it to fully quit. If it refuses to quit even after 10 seconds, type `kill -9 PID`. This should force it to quit.

4) Type these commands: `sudo route -n flush`, then `sudo ifconfig en0 down`, then `sudo ifconfig en0 up`. You will need to know your laptop's admin password for this, as sudo will ask for it.

4.1) Note: these assume that en0 is your active wifi interface. You should notice your wifi drops at `down` and resumes at `up`. If not, type `ifconfig` and see which interface lists a status of `active`.

Note: I've made aliases in console for a few of these. I have `pgrep` aliased to `ps aux | grep airvpn`, and `aflush` aliased to `sudo route -n flush;sudo ifconfig en0 down;sudo ifconfig en0 up`. Saves a lot of time on something that I'm forced to do multiple times per day. You can create permanent aliases by modifying your `~/.bash_profile` file; I'd look up instructions online if you're not familiar.

All of this is a rough hack for the real issue, of course, which is that Eddie deals hideously poorly with sleep mode on OSX. This is very close to a deal-breaker for me: on my Windows PC, it works great, but most of my work is done on my Mac these days.

Notify eddies developer or airvpn staff of your findings so that it can be fixed. I've been having this issue for a while now also.

Another vote here for Eddie being HORRIBLE.  Freezing after sleep, always need to force quit and relaunch after any sig time off my MacBook Air.   Terrible and will likely look for new provider if this isn't fixed soon.  Old AirVPN clients was very good. So much for the upgrade 

Another vote here for Eddie being HORRIBLE.  Freezing after sleep, always need to force quit and relaunch after any sig time off my MacBook Air.   Terrible and will likely look for new provider if this isn't fixed soon.  Old AirVPN clients was very good. So much for the upgrade 

Just reinstall the previous version.

The previous version (2.11.15) isn't any better. My computer woke up with Eddie frozen the last 4 days in a row using it, but it still has fewer disconnects than 2.12.4. 

Would a member of staff please care to comment on whether this is being looked into, or, better yet, a fix is in the works?

Lots of comments from users here, none from staff. Thank you.

Nice one mikeappell, that worked just fine  

2) Bring up Terminal.

I'd try that, but I don't speak the language.

I don't suppose anyone could write an applescript or two, could they? Something for the clueless?

The previous version (2.11.15) isn't any better. My computer woke up with Eddie frozen the last 4 days in a row using it, but it still has fewer disconnects than 2.12.4. 

Would a member of staff please care to comment on whether this is being looked into, or, better yet, a fix is in the works?

Lots of comments from users here, none from staff. Thank you.

Yes, it would be appreciated if a member of staff could at least acknowledge that this is a problem they are aware of. This is not a rare issue and it has a significant impact on the overall usability of the service.

Just to pitch in, also Osx users (latest version) and Eddie keeps crashing (latest version) after sleep/hibernation. Force quit with activity monitor or via terminal solves the issue but this is only a very rudimentary fix.