Not connected, Your IP: 3.14.70.203
Sign in to follow this  
LazyLizard14

Harddisk encryption

Since I plan to encrypt some harddisks (linux&windows) I wonder what people here use to encrypt their harddisk and how their solution does perform? glad to hear your advise / feedback

I am unable to find any evidence of an audit for Veracrypt that has even started.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

The base for it is TrueCrypt of course, so the audit was done against TrueCrypt codebase.

However, since TrueCrypt is no longer maintained, it will be safer to move to a fork which gets updated.

VeraCrypt is just about fixing bugs that were found during 3 independant TrueCrypt audits the last year,

one by NCC Group, one by iSec and one by Google Project Zero.

Maybe I missed a few more audits, auditing TrueCrypt became very popular after May 2014.

https://opencryptoaudit.org/reports/iSec_Final_Open_Crypto_Audit_Project_TrueCrypt_Security_Assessment.pdf

https://opencryptoaudit.org/reports/TrueCrypt_Phase_II_NCC_OCAP_final.pdf

http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2015/04/truecrypt-report.html

https://threatpost.com/veracrypt-patched-against-two-critical-truecrypt-flaws/114833/

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I see. I thought there may have been an audit I missed somehow. Thanks for the clarification.

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

LUKS (dm-crypt) for Linux volumes - included in any installer of recent distros these days, VeraCrypt for Windows volumes.

Both of the project were recently audited.

Ditto

Thanks for the replies - I also considered veracrypt as first choice.

There are some audits for truecrypt out there and veracrypt is based on truecrypt. But an essential part of auditing is also to verify if the files provided for download were built of the sourcecode without any additional modifications. So I wonder if the result of an auditing from truecrypt can be applied to veracrypt as well?!

What would make bitlocker a no-go except the feact it is not open source? 

There is something I don't understand about encryption.

​When you encrypt files, folders or full disk is it only protected when your devise is stolen?

​What about when you login to your OS you have to decrypt them before you login to your system, right?

​what about if someone hack into your computer they can still any file or folder and they can opened and see its content

​For example if you are using Windows 10 in order to get your data they dont need your password or private key. They just can wait until you decrypt your content wrapped and sync it with their servers. Lets see vera crypt in order to see within the container  you have to mount it and enter the password. Once it is mounted it is visible/decrypted any backdoor witch Windows 10 is the mother of the backdoors simply sync it with MS servers.

​Am I making sense to anyone?