Not connected, Your IP: 18.209.229.59
Geomas

More Servers in Non-Aligned Countries?

It would be useful, I think, to have more servers in countries that don't have very close military/intelligence relations with the "Five Eyes" countries and/or NATO. It seems likely that VPN traffic in such countries is targeted for surveillance, and that data is shared. At present, I think the only non-aligned territory in which AirVPN operates a server is Hong Kong. (Sweden, Switzerland, and Singapore all have close intelligence ties with the U.S. and/or NATO.)

I would very much like to see servers made available in countries such as Finland, Russia (which has granted asylum to Edward Snowden), Serbia, Brazil, Ecuador (which has granted asylum to Julian Assange), Bolivia, and South Africa.

Data Traffic is monitored and logged in Russia which goes against the AirVPN policy.

Unfortunatelly in terms of technology and internet speeds it works completely in the reverse direction.

The more a given country is isolated and unwilling to be part of global collection plans, the more it is being

technologically isolated with crazy prices for business/technology. This is why you are barely going to find

good datacenters in any country you specified, and I still didn't start talking about prices. Those countries

are among the highest corruption rate on earth (Top 30) and IT is not exactly their top priority.

Not sure why you included Finland, it doesn't belong to this list and isn't any more "friendly" than say, Sweden.

So if you want to be an active whistleblower, you might consider them. If you plan to use a VPN provider,

or run one, you will avoid those countries because of the current situation with them.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Sweden doesn't seem tied in. It took a threat of trade sanctions for them to do anything about the pirate bay, despite the site's notoriety. That was the first and only compliance with a US order I can think of from Sweden. Then there is Romania. No ties there at all. Not as well tied to the backbone as some other data centers, but I can pull good speed from the US if I use UDP, despite the latency being higher than most.

... but I can pull good speed from the US if I use UDP, despite the latency being higher than most.

Just as an aside, low latency values are required for such things as gaming where you need a quick response very often whereas for overall traffic speed eg for streaming / downloading it is not so relevant.

It really is only smart to use VPN for gaming if the game is blocked or in the case of a traffic shaper gone mad. If that is the case, use a server in your country for that. Unless you are using it to skirt geoblocking. A naked connection will always have better latency and I don't see too much a privacy issue with gaming "in the clear". Of course, Romania for me is half my country to the east coast, then an ocean, then most of Europe. Latency isn't bad, considering all that.

It would be useful, I think, to have more servers in countries that don't have very close military/intelligence relations with the "Five Eyes" countries and/or NATO. It seems likely that VPN traffic in such countries is targeted for surveillance, and that data is shared. At present, I think the only non-aligned territory in which AirVPN operates a server is Hong Kong. (Sweden, Switzerland, and Singapore all have close intelligence ties with the U.S. and/or NATO.)

According privacytools.io ,Switserland does not belong to any eye-list.Also privacy is well protected overthere.

So if its possible,more hardware to Switserland.

Have a good day.

Sweden doesn't seem tied in. It took a threat of trade sanctions for them to do anything about the pirate bay, despite the site's notoriety. That was the first and only compliance with a US order I can think of from Sweden. Then there is Romania. No ties there at all. Not as well tied to the backbone as some other data centers, but I can pull good speed from the US if I use UDP, despite the latency being higher than most.

Piracy is one thing, but Sweden has still been USA's buttboy for a long time. Spying on russia for USA.

Sweden prides itself not being a NATO member and can publicly condemn all kinds of shit USA does, while still spying for them.

Couldnt find a source that i knew of but here's one:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/swedish-intelligence-service-spying-on-russia-for-us-national-security-agency/5362967

Data Traffic is monitored and logged in Russia which goes against the AirVPN policy.

In what way(s) is Russia's monitoring and logging of data traffic more pernicious than the UK's or the USA's? We know, for example, that the latter two countries are conducting bulk surveillance of data traffic ("collect it all"), but that somehow doesn't preclude AirVPN from using servers in these countries.

It really is only smart to use VPN for gaming if the game is blocked or in the case of a traffic shaper gone mad. If that is the case, use a server in your country for that. Unless you are using it to skirt geoblocking. A naked connection will always have better latency and I don't see too much a privacy issue with gaming "in the clear". Of course, Romania for me is half my country to the east coast, then an ocean, then most of Europe. Latency isn't bad, considering all that.

Just because you are gaming doesn't mean you aren't doing something else meanwhile, some may want to just get around geoblocking others might just ALWAYS use a VPN for complete anonymity. Gaming with a VPN that's close to you isn't that bad however.

In what way(s) is Russia's monitoring and logging of data traffic more pernicious than the UK's or the USA's? We know, for example, that the latter two countries are conducting bulk surveillance of data traffic ("collect it all"), but that somehow doesn't preclude AirVPN from using servers in these countries.

Yes the UK and USA does it too, everyone know about the US but they have to provide servers there it's on the other end of the world and they are able to get servers there. The UK started recently, but Russia is expensive to own servers in not to mention over 100Mbit costs a lot. It probably isn't worth it to AirVPN to start searching for anything.

Just because you are gaming doesn't mean you aren't doing something else meanwhile, some may want to just get around geoblocking others might just ALWAYS use a VPN for complete anonymity. Gaming with a VPN that's close to you isn't that bad however.

Yes the UK and USA does it too, everyone know about the US but they have to provide servers there it's on the other end of the world and they are able to get servers there. The UK started recently, but Russia is expensive to own servers in not to mention over 100Mbit costs a lot. It probably isn't worth it to AirVPN to start searching for anything.

I note that Private Internet Access has servers in Russia. They are using a company called RETN:

https://retn.net/

>> 

I note that Private Internet Access has servers in Russia. They are using a company called RETN:

https://retn.net/

I know they do, but no matter the company used, it is Russian law to log everything and anything done by russian citizens on russian servers. If services like lets say facebook does NOT comply it will be banned and blocked by russian ISP. Since we'd be using russian servers they'd log everything, yes they'd only be able to actually use anything by russian citizens but never the less law is law, and datacenters will follow it. So if you do use the russian PIA servers it  gets logged despite PIA not doing it on their servers the datacenter logs the traffic on the network. Also note that some of their russian servers have recently seen an IP change that shows up in Ukraine.

zhang888,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The reason I include Finland (and would very much like to see an AirVPN server become available there) is that it is not a NATO member and has historically maintained a more independent foreign policy than Sweden (which is for all intents and purposes an American client state).

Finland is a small country and the availability of datacenters is limited,  good option would be Creanova,

http://creanova.org/dedicated.html, each additional 60Tb cost 90 Euros.

However this area is already well covered by Air - Latvia, Lithuania and Sweden.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.