Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.113.30
Tealk

Use AirVPN only for selected Programs

Hi community,

is it possible to set up that only eg. Browser and Teamspeak use the VPN?

You could setup a virtual machine, establish a VPN tunnel and run the applications on it.

EDIT: I suppose it depends a bit on how much time you want to spend, what type of resources you have and how secure you want it.

You could setup another machine in a DMZ or some other segment, create all sorts of firewall rules and manipulate the routing table.

The first one might be a bit more straightforward.

Google ForceBindIP.  You'll have to bind the app to the network adapter everytime before you launch it though. 

Hi community,

is it possible to set up that only eg. Browser and Teamspeak use the VPN?

If the program allows you to tell it what IP interface to use, then tell the program to use the VPN interface and then restore the original default gateway by adding entries to the routing table.

For example, this can be done for torrent clients:

https://airvpn.org/topic/9549-traffic-splitting-guide-to-setting-up-vpn-only-for-torrenting-on-windows-thanks-to-nadre/

On older 32 bit versions of Windows, ForceBindIP used to work as a way to force a program to use a specific IP interface. But I don't think it works on 64 bit systems, nor on later 32 bit systems.

Firefox, for example does not allow you to specify an IP interface. Google "firefox use specific IP interface".

If you are using Linux, you may be able to find a "LD_PRELOAD shim" to allow the "bind" call to be intercepted. A quick google produces this, for example:

https://daniel-lange.com/archives/53-Binding-applications-to-a-specific-IP.html

I have not used that though.

Edit: If you are using Linux, you also need to do source address routing, as well as putting back the default gateway:

https://airvpn.org/topic/14158-question-run-airvpn-as-non-primary-network-adapter/?p=27398

I can confirm it does work on a 64-bit version of Windows 10.  I use it regularly to bind the browser (Chrome) to the wireless network adapter so that I can use my university's wifi without going through the vpn for specific purposes. Just tried it out on Firefox and it works fine too, so it looks like they fixed it.  Here's a great tutorial to set it up if you're using Windows:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/bind-windows-application-to-specific-network-adapter-with-forcebindip/

I use the "ForceBindIP GUI v1.5 by LibTiff."

It called "source based split routing" the specifics og hos to achieve it depends on where your want to do it (computer/router) and what os that box is running

In my experience (Win 8.1 x64 Enterprise), ForceBindIP works well with some applications (e.g., Outlook 2013), fairly well with others (e.g., on Firefox, it works most of the time, but some sites are still able to spot the VPN), and not at all with others (e.g., Internet Explorer x32 & x64).  A reliable method to bind an application to an IP would be welcome, indeed.

Thanks for all the answers,

my problem is, if i start the vpn client all applications will go through the vpn tunnle. Correct me if im wrong. How i can manage that all applications go the normal way and only the applications that i pick up use the vpn?

Posted ... (edited)

@Tealk @guppy @GreyGold @NaDre @amnesty
so i am wanting to bind my MMO video game app .exe ... to my original NIC IP (have it NOT go thru the active VPN), and have all other traffic routed through the VPN -- is ForceBindIP my solution or will i get IP leaks of torrents running, from using ForceBindIP on my video game, while my VPN is tunnelling a bit torrent client and file????

i have heard there is a way, even within Eddie, to exclude certain apps from using the VPN ??? does that still mean they can access the internet APART from the VPN tunnel??

Edited ... by ProphetPX