Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.127.232
Sign in to follow this  
sarum4n

Can't connect (only) to Netflix while AirVPN is running ( on several PC and OS)

As in the title, since today morning I can't connect to Netflix while AirVPN is running. Until yesterday all was fine and I didn't touch any configuration or upgrade anything on my side, so I think that Netflix changed something server-side.

To be more precise, whenever I run AirVPN and I point my browser to www.netflix.com I receive an error message telling me that my connection has been refused. If I stop AirVPN and try again, all begins working as usual.

To be even more precise, I tried this on three PC I've at my disposal: two with Windows 10 and Eddie client; and one with GNU/Linux Debian testing and Eddie client.

To make more interesting all the matter, I must tell you that my GNU/Linux box autoruns AirVPN on every boot and I've configured iptables to let the connections - coming exclusively from Google Chrome inside Kodi media center environment - go outside the VPN tunnel. I avoid to specify here how I managed to do that, but I did it to have a localised Netflix at full speed while being able to take at the same time advantage of the VPN for all the other connections coming from and to the machine, in all the user accounts different from the one Kodi runs as.

In this way, if I start Chrome within Kodi, I can surf the web (and Netflix) at full speed and see my real IP, while, if I login as another user and run Chrome, I surf the web at lesser speed and with the IP the VPN assigns me.

This still runs perfectly fine at the moment I'm writing.

Now, given that, for all the aforementioned reasons, on my GNU/Linux box the connection to Netflix happens perfectly outside the VPN tunnel, the fact that Netflix rejects the connection seems to me like Netflix implemented in the past night some sort of check to see if on the client there is some process or thread belonging to a VPN. I cannot think about nothing else, to be honest.

Solved. I simply forced Eddie to use Google's DNS instead of AirVPN's ones. The fact that this works confirms that Netflix began to block AirVPN's DNS servers. That's a matter I think needs solving on AirVPN side, if possible, to make their DNS servers again usable.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Im having the same issue. It seems like Netflix is the only site I cant access while the VPN is active. I noticed it for the first time yesterday, Dec 8th. The only fix so far is to disable airVpn

No, the fix is to force Eddie to use Google's DNS, not to shut off VPN! That's what I'm doing now, I haven't DNS leaks and I can connect to Netflix even while using AirVPN.

No, the fix is to force Eddie to use Google's DNS, not to shut off VPN! That's what I'm doing now, I haven't DNS leaks and I can connect to Netflix even while using AirVPN.

I'm very new to this entire field, and most of this is Greek to me. I saw your post above:

Solved. I simply forced Eddie to use Google's DNS instead of AirVPN's ones. 

How do you force Eddie to use the Google DNS instead of airVPN's?

Thanks!

Preferences--->Advanced---->DNS tab--->click on the "+" and enter your desired DNS.

I'm in touch anyway with AirVPN tech support, to whom I reported the issue with all the details a couple of days ago, when I investigated the thing. It seems like they could have fixed the problem with Netflix blocking their DNS, so today give it first of all another try to the default DNS settings.