Not connected, Your IP: 3.144.172.115
Bong_Marley

AirVPN client bricks network protocols

Hi there,

I recently purchased a subscription to AirVPN. Happy as I was that I am finally surfing the web anonymously, I hit a really big snag. After a couple of days using the AirVPN client I noticed that after disconnecting from AirVPN and deactivating the network lock, my internet would not work anymore (albeit being connected according to Windows). No problem I thought, it probably has something to do with the AirVPN client changing some settings in my LAN adapter (primary and secondary DNS were changed to 192.168.0.1 for example). So I decided to reset the winsock with the help of the command prompt (netsh winsock reset). Unfortunately this did not change anything. After using the troubleshoot function of the network and sharing center I learned that "one or more network protocols are missing from the computer" (to be specific the Windows Sockets registry entries). According to Microsoft (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/windows-socket-registry-entries-missing-according/5f54e033-9d49-4de0-bf23-576653641b20?auth=1) this means that the winsock entries in the registry are corrupt. I tried to repair them (according to the Microsoft article), but to no avail. Windows would not let me install a new IPv4 network protocol (this program is blocked by group policy). Long story short, the only thing that remains to fix this problem is to reinstall Windows. Which I already tried, but then the problem came back as soon as I installed the AirVPN client again and started using it. I refuse to do it again, as it offers no permanent solution. So I would really appreciate it if someone can help me out of this problem.

ps: I attached a screenshot that explains the whole situation in one pic.

ps2: I'm using version 2.10.3 of the AirVPN client and version 10.0.10586 Build 10586 of Windows.

-me- not exactly a Windows wiz, but it looks from here that you are connected to a centrally administered domain that has

a policy which prevents hardware devices from being installed and uninstalled. Windows 10 introduced some more policies

around this. For example, you cannot just install even a tun/tap adapter with a valid signature, unless it was submitted to MS.

On Windows 10, this issue can also be caused by a local account, which was created after the main Administrator one.

What you have to do, and sorry if it sounds troublesome, is installing (or live booting) a clean OS and checking again.

This will solve your original problem, but make sure you are not connecting to any network domain and running AirVPN

as the firstly created Administrative user first, at least when you install tun/tap drivers which are forbidden by domain policy.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

-me- not exactly a Windows wiz, but it looks from here that you are connected to a centrally administered domain that has

a policy which prevents hardware devices from being installed and uninstalled.

Way more of a windows wiz than I am, last version I touched was win7.

I am using the latest build of Windows 10 as I stated in the ps. Moreover I can assure you that I am not on any domain or that there is another account installed. I did a clean install of Windows the day before yesterday.

I seriously doubt that I am doing something wrong here:

- I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO via the Media Creation Tool of Microsoft

- Did a clean install

- Checked it afterwards for corruption (sfc /scannow, which checked out fine)

- Installed network drivers (official drivers from my motherboard vendor)

- Installed AirVPN client (using it without problems for a couple of days)

- And suddenly my Winsock Registry entries are corrupt

The error message you posted is related to Group Policy.

You can get a restricted policy either by reconfiguring it with policy editor,

or by connecting to a domain and getting it from a domain controller.

If you are not part of a domain, then some software can cause this.

In your screenshot there is Avira installed. Try to uninstall it and see if it helps.

Some Windows security apps change group policies as well.

When you really do a clean install from a trusted, untouched source, there

is no reason for your winsock entries to be corrupt. If removing Avira won't

help, I suggest you to do a real clean install and add only AirVPN client on it.

You don't need to install any motherboard drivers, Windows can handle it for you.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

http://www.filedropper.com/newfolder_16   winsock  and winsock2  entries  for win 10.  

delete  2  bad  keys  winsock  winsock2   location is  in the files  top  line.

you have to  set  dns  back to  "get it from  provider"  in   network adapter for lan  and wifi.

i usually  reinstall  lan  and wifi  too deleting   drivers.