Not connected, Your IP: 34.239.148.106

Hi,

enabling Network Lock at Windows/system start make sense to me, so I'm looking into a FW option to go along with it...

currenlty running Symantec Endpoint Protection... gotta see if I can translate the Comodo tutorial over to SEP...

so besides Comodo free version, which is mentioned in the NL tut on this site, are there any other FW solutions that you can recommend (commercial or free) that can be easily set up (possibly with a step by step guide here) to shut down all traffic except the AirVPN  tunnel ?

Thanks.

- M

zhang, alright thanks.

Can you point me to a tutorial on bhow to set it up ? or just press the NL button and it does it for me ?

Hi Me Android,

thanks, so quick workflow question:

How does one deactivate the NL ?

It appears, one has to manually disconnect in order to access the DEACTIVATE NL button... is that correct ?

What if I forget to deactivate the NL, and simply shutdown the computer... I assume the FW is still configured for the tunnel, and I can't use my normal internet once I restart... how would I restore the original FW rules to use my normal i-net connection ?

Thanks.

- M

I thought Network Lock only worked out of the box with Windows Firewall?. I myself use Comodo CIS which by the way has absolutely no "Bloatware" zhang888.

I write my own customize firewall using iptables in Ubuntu Linux which 100% safe & malwares free. Why not try to switch to Linux and you never turn back to window operating system.

Hi Me Android,

thanks, so quick workflow question:

How does one deactivate the NL ?

It appears, one has to manually disconnect in order to access the DEACTIVATE NL button... is that correct ?

What if I forget to deactivate the NL, and simply shutdown the computer... I assume the FW is still configured for the tunnel, and I can't use my normal internet once I restart... how would I restore the original FW rules to use my normal i-net connection ?

Thanks.

- Mv

Yes  you need to disconnect to see the big deactivate NL button but Eddie will deactivate it if you exit out of AirVPN in a normal manner. If you shut down the computer or it crashes then you will have to reset Windows FW or import a previously exported set of rules- you will also need to check your IPV4 DNS settings if Air doesn't shut down in an orderly fashion.

Can do. Some copy the rules created by Network Lock and use or add to them meaning they don't have to use network lock! I'm using Linux (Mint) most of the time now which is different altogether and about 100 times faster for me.

faster in what sense ? on an OS level ? or in actual transfer speed throughput when going through the VPN tunnel ?

faster in what sense ? on an OS level ? or in actual transfer speed throughput when going through the VPN tunnel ?

All of the above.

Absolutely.  When I fire up my windows box its truly torture to work on.  Slow, heavy, unpredictable, and even worse - closed source so I don't REALLY know what is going on "inside" the system.

iwih2gk, on 04 Dec 2015 - 22:48, said:

All of the above.
Absolutely. When I fire up my windows box its truly torture to work on.  Slow, heavy, unpredictable, and even worse - closed source so I don't REALLY know what is going on "inside" the system.

ayyy ^

Even tweaked out its slow as hell compared to my nix or bsd rigs. Gaming is about the only thing its really good for imo.

The box I normally run windows on is a 6 core intel extreme edition and its slow/buggy on that lol. I have an i3 that sporting linux that can run circles around it. Unless you're a hardcore gamer or need to use some app that won't run in linux or wine, I wouldn't even bother with windows. "torture" explains it well lol

Absolutely. When I fire up my windows box its truly torture to work on.  Slow, heavy, unpredictable, and even worse - closed source so I don't REALLY know what is going on "inside" the system.
ayyy ^

Even tweaked out its slow as hell compared to my nix or bsd rigs. Gaming is about the only thing its really good for imo.

The box I normally run windows on is a 6 core intel extreme edition and its slow/buggy on that lol. I have an i3 that sporting linux that can run circles around it. Unless you're a hardcore gamer or need to use some app that won't run in linux or wine, I wouldn't even bother with windows. "torture" explains it well lol

I've never been a Microsoft or Windows fan however I do miss a lot of very good programs written for Windows only. I rely quite a bit on my Win 7 VM to provide certain functions that simply have either no equivalent under Linux or are so unpolished/unrefined as to be useless compared. No matter how much anyone hates Windows and all of its faults, there is no doubt that to most computer users Linux looks, feels, and acts old fashioned, unpolished, and too technical. Its taken me till now to really go for it and I've been in IT since the late 70's.