Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.192.3
blacksun2015

best airvpn router: pfsense products? ...

Hello,

My router (ASUS RT-N66U ) is too slow with encryption. 

I've a 100Mbit/20Mbit uplink and my openvpn client speed is around 8Mbit capped on Merlin firmware. (256bit encryption)

- Does anyone have experience with the https://www.pfsense.org/products/ ? Like the SG-2440 ?

- Does anyone have experience with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE ? It has a dual core 1GHz...

or a draytek vigor 2925?

I'm searching for a affordable router+firewall replacement with decent speed.

(in a rather small casing; with low power usage/or energy saving )

I like PFsense but i'm not sure if I want to build my own server.

Also: it must be future proof.

Hello,

My router (ASUS RT-N66U ) is too slow with encryption. 

I've a 100Mbit/20Mbit uplink and my openvpn client speed is around 8Mbit capped on Merlin firmware. (256bit encryption)

- Does anyone have experience with the https://www.pfsense.org/products/ ? Like the SG-2440 ?

- Does anyone have experience with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE ? It has a dual core 1GHz...

or a draytek vigor 2925?

I'm searching for a affordable router+firewall replacement with decent speed.

(in a rather small casing; with low power usage/or energy saving )

I like PFsense but i'm not sure if I want to build my own server.

Also: it must be future proof.

if you're going to buy a 499 pfSense router then im pretty sure you can build one for the same amount of money that's way powerful and will be future proof. Look at the pfSense forum they have a section on builds. Of course if you want to buy hardware that comes with support then by all means.

The routers on their page are a little overpriced, mainly I guess because you get free 1 year premium support with it.

You can build your own server at a cheaper price, but you will need some basic PC assembly knowledge and of course

the hassle of finding your own parts. For some people it might be actually fun.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

just hit the pfSense_fan thread and see what folks are doing

i'd run that on a box tho myself

cheerz

Was thinking about doing PFSense too earlier but I'm just going to stick with my Asus for now.  I almost ordered this.  Future proof for the home and could probably handle anything you throw at it.  You don't have to build it, but it is $300.   Of course there is lots of other options.  Check out the pfsense forum.

http://www.amazon.com/Jetway-Intel-Network-JBC200F9N-E4IN-B-ADE4INLANG/dp/B00X6GPUO6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZN28MFCV1Y2YC5DJEFE

If your interested, the pfSense store seems to source most of their products from a company called Netgate (http://store.netgate.com) You could get the same hardware without the price bump for the included support.

Does anyone know how Asus new routers hold up with OpenVPN? Obviously the RT-N66U is slow, but the rest of them? The newer AC models?

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/other/security/security-howto/32538-setting-up-and-using-openvpn-on-asus-routers?showall=&start=2

They say: 

RT-N66U 1.6 MB/s,

RT-AC68U 3.8 to 4.1 MB/s,

RT-AC AC87U 5.5 to 5.0 MB/s

tested using ixChariot.

Also other previous posters have  suggested routers which have processors that do not support AES-NI.

Without cpu support for  AES-NI OpenVPN throughput may be limited on faster connections.

Nickspam and others, you're totally right and thanks for the answers.

I've moved RT-N66U to serve as simple access point.

My router is now a small server with mini itx board and low power i5 processor.

Build (now available for around 250 euro)

Intel Core i5 3470T - 2.9 GHz - 2 cores - 4 threads - 3 MB cache - Low-Power - LGA1155 Socket - AES-NI support
low profile cooling
Lian Li PC-Q16 300 Watt ( SFX12V )
GA-Z77N-WIFI - mini ITX - LGA1155 Socket - Z77 - USB 3.0 - Wi-Fi(n), 2 x Gigabit LAN
DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V - 8GB

I just installed pfsense on it with a usb stick. Very easy with the tutorials on this forum.

I disabled the Wifi antenna's but you could turn pfsense into anything you want.

Speed with openvpn/airvpn and firewall 200Mbit/sec!.

I will measure my energy usage today and post it here.

Stay tuned!

Nickspam and others, you're totally right and thanks for the answers.

I've moved RT-N66U to serve as simple access point.

My router is now a small server with mini itx board and low power i5 processor.

Build (now available for around 250 euro)

Intel Core i5 3470T - 2.9 GHz - 2 cores - 4 threads - 3 MB cache - Low-Power - LGA1155 Socket - AES-NI support

low profile cooling

Lian Li PC-Q16 300 Watt ( SFX12V )

GA-Z77N-WIFI - mini ITX - LGA1155 Socket - Z77 - USB 3.0 - Wi-Fi(n), 2 x Gigabit LAN

DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V - 8GB

I just installed pfsense on it with a usb stick. Very easy with the tutorials on this forum.

I disabled the Wifi antenna's but you could turn pfsense into anything you want.

Speed with openvpn/airvpn and firewall 200Mbit/sec!.

I will measure my energy usage today and post it here.

Stay tuned!

The Intel Core i3-4130T is another nice little chip @ 35w tdp and probably a bit cheaper. Mix it with some low voltage '1.35v' ram and its a win. A lot of these intel chips run cooler and @ less voltage with hyperthreading disabled too Worth experimenting with if your looking for low power usage / lowest temps possible.

Because you can have 3 connections per account I have set up as follows to keep prices down.

DD-WRT router running openvpn downloads max 10 Mb/s

Shield tv with openvpn  max download 60 Mb/s

Pc with Airvpn client maxs download at 100 Mb/s

I route my shield TV and pc past  Openvpn on the router using Policy based routing.

I then connect my phone Ipad etc wirelessly to the router  10 Mb/s is is plenty for streaming etc.