Not connected, Your IP: 18.221.165.246
Jojo2712

Very slow speed when using AirVPN

Hi all,

First of all I am a beginner when it comes to VPNs.

I am living in Hong Kong for a couple of months and decided to get a VPN to access websites from other countries (e.g. Netflix), which are not available/limited here. I researched the best VPNs in Hong Kong and have been using VyprVPN for the last couple of months.

However, it was pointed out to me that they were quite expensive and not offering the best service, so I decided to switch to another VPN. Besides access to sites like Netflix, another important feature had to be p2p sharing, so this was what I searched for when looking for a new VPN. This brought me to AirVPN.

However, I have been trying multiple servers over the past day (Netherlands, France, US, Canada, Singapore, Hong Kong) and none of them have given me speeds higher than 20 kB/s (!!!). I chose them based on their "speed-score" when I use the AirVPN software. Included are my speedtest results with and without the VPN. With VyprVPN I had no such issues and I had almost the same speed with VPN as without.

I am using AirVPN on a Macbook Pro (2011), running OS X El Capitan, version 10.11

Again, I don't know much about VPNs, so I haven't changed any settings or so.

I hope someone can help me out!

Hi.

I am a beginner too and i had the same problem the first time i installed it. The solution in my case was simple, at least i think it was because of that 

Open Airvpn - Preferences - Protocols - It was set to automatic. Click on any and click Save.

I tried all of them with a test speed which you can do also here on this website:

https://airvpn.org/speedtest/

I hope it works for you too.

Hi.

I am a beginner too and i had the same problem the first time i installed it. The solution in my case was simple, at least i think it was because of that 

Open Airvpn - Preferences - Protocols - It was set to automatic. Click on any and click Save.

I tried all of them with a test speed which you can do also here on this website:

https://airvpn.org/speedtest/

I hope it works for you too.

Thanks for the tip! It helped a little bit, now websites actually load, but speed is still way down of what I expected it to be.

Hey!

Could you have a look at this and see if it helps you?

https://airvpn.org/topic/15791-extremely-low-speeds/?do=findComment&comment=33556

I looked at it and tried to research TAP network adapters, but I could not find anything about how to change the driver on a Mac or even where to find information about it?

The driver I was thinking about seems to be Windows-only so I guess it works differently on Mac. You can probably disregard my suggestion then.

@Jojo2712: I'm also on OS X El Capitan, based in Asia, and it's really quite tricky to get decent speeds here, particularly when on mediocre wifi networks while traveling. 

It gets aggravated, in my view, by the fact that it takes so long to try different servers/protocols

Interestingly enough, in the server list, the servers with most stars (namely one or two...) in both the "Speed" and "Latency" category are in most cases in the Netherlands, while the HK and Singapore servers virtually never show up at the top (but with zero stars and latencies of "....."). 

Often, I suspect, it's really bad Wifi, but sometimes it feels it's a slow VPN...

You know though that there's the AirVPN speedtest? It compares in and out of tunnel speeds. Check that out. Best of luck :-)