Not connected, Your IP: 3.135.246.193
Sign in to follow this  
Peeceeuk

Air and Asus router assistance required

This is my first venture into this so apologies if I'm not up to speed, which actually is part of the problem.

I've flashed an Asus ac66u router with Merlin and generated my AIR file which has been uploaded into the router as per some instructions found on this site.

I'm connected to the VPN according to the status, on this site, but I have two issues / concerns

When I do a speedtest, I'm knocking on about 10meg but my line is a 100meg connection which I usually hit full speed on most of the time.

I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't be losing so much bandwidth.

Also, given that the IP I'm offered shows to be Manchester located through whatsmyip, speedtest shows my location to be my home location in the south.

It shows what I'd normally see using a non vpn'd connection which I find unusual.

I have selected region by country and haven't tested alternatives as yet but wondered if there are a) any immediate suggestions from improving speed and explanation as to why speedtest shows my true location when I'd expect to see that of where I'm connecting through in the VPN.

The speed reduction is unfortunately down to the router not being powerful enough to handle the VPN. You'd need to build a rig to act as a router with an i5/i7 and pfsense (by all accounts) to get the power to do VPN. I have the AC68U and same issue. Although today I'm getting a maximum of about 500k/s download which hurts considering I have a 200M line.