Not connected, Your IP: 18.226.222.12
wakaflockaflame

ANSWERED Microrouting not working on my router

When I use AirVPN through Eddie or Tunnelblick the microrouting works fine, so for example I can be on the Swiss server and use iPlayer and US Netflix still. This is good.

However, I just set it up on my Asus RT-N66U router, still on the Swiss server, but the microrouting does not work. IPLeak confirms I am in fact connected to AirVPN and the DNS says Netherlands like it always does when connected to AirVPN. So it seems I am using the VPN and Air's DNS.

And yet when I go on iPlayer it says unable to play content, and when I go to Netflix I am directed to the Swiss version which is not as good as the US library.

Is there any way to get this working? I tried manually setting the DNS to 10.4.0.1 but it made no difference. I also tried restarting the router and computers I'm using but no luck there either.

When I use AirVPN through Eddie or Tunnelblick the microrouting works fine, so for example I can be on the Swiss server and use iPlayer and US Netflix still. This is good.

However, I just set it up on my Asus RT-N66U router, still on the Swiss server, but the microrouting does not work. IPLeak confirms I am in fact connected to AirVPN and the DNS says Netherlands like it always does when connected to AirVPN. So it seems I am using the VPN and Air's DNS.

And yet when I go on iPlayer it says unable to play content, and when I go to Netflix I am directed to the Swiss version which is not as good as the US library.

Is there any way to get this working? I tried manually setting the DNS to 10.4.0.1 but it made no difference. I also tried restarting the router and computers I'm using but no luck there either.

are you using stock firmware or a custom one?

not sure what DNS settings stock has for openvpn clients.  but just make sure it's using Air DNS or else microrouting will not work.

in merlin firmware there are options for DNS.  you would want to use "exclusive" so that only Air DNS is used.

When I check IPLeak it shows AirVPN's DNS just like it did when I connected to it using Tunnelblick or Eddie.

sorry about that, I didn't read carefully enough your original post.

I don't know what the problem could be.

I fixed this in the end, it was my mistake as I didn't research the DNS servers it was showing me. In fact according to IPLeak I was using Google DNS so I had a DNS leak even though I'd previously read it's a Windows only problem. Turns out not so. Even using Tunnelblick and Eddie on OS X and Linux I was still on Google's DNS somehow according to IPLeak, although in those cases microrouting still worked so I'm confused about what happened there.

But I have now fixed this by changing my router to use AirVPN's DNS (10.4.0.1, 10.5.0.1) then I had to generate a new config on AirVPN's site with "Resolved hosts in .ovpn file" ticked in the generator (must turn on advanced mode before you see this) - this is essential otherwise the router cannot connect to the VPN in the first place, ticking this box fixes this by using IP addresses to connect to the VPN instead of domain names so it doesn't require DNS to establish a connection.

Then all I had to do is make sure my devices were set to use my router's DNS servers (on your device make the DNS server your router's local IP e.g. 192.168.1.1) and now they connect using AirVPN's DNS. Not only did this fix microrouting but I of course now have improved privacy as well.

Just posting this in case anyone runs across this thread with similar issues.