Not connected, Your IP: 3.145.183.137

Hi. I'm using SSL Tunnel since I'm in a restrictive network. I play CS:GO sometimes and I'm suffering from high ping/ping spikes from time to time.

I'm only connecting to German and Netherlands servers. Do you think I can do anything to reduce those spikes? Will things like buffer size help in any way?

Thanks.

It's common that SSL will slow you down, as it is an extra layer, however, I have found SSH slower so you are doing the right thing by using SSH. It is always best to sort servers by "latency" and find the closest location to you, and also the lowest "milisecond" ping.

the reason for the ping spikes is that SSL tunnel means a TCP tunnel.  TCP packes have a proper order while UDP packets can be received out of order.

this is my rudimentary understanding of the root cause.  if correct, it makes sense to me that in heavy traffic it will be a TCP connection that's disrupted more (than UDP) because it's more sensitive to any problem.

I'm always choosing the closest locations to me. AirVPN client isn't actually showing me pings and I have latency tests enabled in options. Sorting servers by latency only sorts them by alphabetical order.

I was just wondering since sometimes I'm having perfectly stable and low ping for like 2 hours and sometimes it's spiking as hell.

I guess I'll have to live with that.

Try other nearby servers, when there's so much traffic passing through a server, there can sometimes be packets dropped or filtered. I also occasionally play CS:GO through the UK servers. If the UK is an option, Try Nunki or Naos, sometimes I think a DDoS filter is activated and performance won't be good, so use the other of the 2 servers when that happens.

I don't really know. Usually, there is no packet loss when this happens. Yesterday I had perfect 50ms on almost every server and the day before yesterday it was 70-180.

Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely try UK servers. My ping will be higher, but I'll take that if it's stable.