Not connected, Your IP: 18.219.22.169
kbps

bbc.co.uk resolving to bbc.com on UK Carinae

As the title says, when im connected to UK Carinae, bbc.co.uk opens the bbc.com worldwide version of the site.  Is internal routing broken?  Seems strange as the airvpn server is located in the UK.

Posted ... (edited)

According to check routes feature, requests to bbc.co.uk are routed through internal routing server GB2, even the UK servers route it there. So it's not strange for Carinae to behave like this.

You could open a support ticket and ask for routing deletion to make it route directly.

Carinae seems to be the only server connecting directly to bbc.co.uk. Can you confirm the same behavior with other UK servers, like Dabih or Nunki?

Edited ... by giganerd

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

Just tried all the UK servers and Carinae is the only one that wrongly goes to bbc.com.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know why AirVPN uses these double-hop servers rather than SmartDNS?

Carinae does seem to be the only UK server with this issue, it's recent too.  Ive been been swapping between Carinae and Dabih on my phone for the last week ( im a new member, working out which servers are the most stable for me).  Today was the first time i noticed it. I stick to UK servers as I use a lot of I player bbc radio streams.  Airvpn geo-location does not work for some of the radio streams that I use so I stick only the UK servers.  I find it strange that the bbc is seeing a UK data centre as non UK.  

Just tried all the UK servers and Carinae is the only one that wrongly goes to bbc.com.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know why AirVPN uses these double-hop servers rather than SmartDNS?

I understand double hop but whats SmartDNS?

I understand double hop but whats SmartDNS?

"Unlike a VPN, a SmartDNS does not route all your internet traffic through a different server. Instead it only routes the traffic that shows your geographical location."

http://blog.dathovpn.com/difference-between-vpn-and-smartdns/

So a smartDNS is what everyone everywhere is using to watch US Netflix.  Simply change DNS settings in the router or PC and DNS requests and traffic goes where it's supposed to except for whatever exceptions the DNS server has to send to different location. It's basically DNS poisoning. I understand the idea, but I don't understand technically how they work.  The article says

"Unlike a VPN, a SmartDNS does not route all your internet traffic trough a different server. Instead it only routes the traffic that shows your geographical location. So for example a Netflix stream would still go trough your normal internet connection even when using a SmartDNS service."

I don't understand. What traffic shows my geographic location? Surley this is my public facing IP?  How does a DNS server hide this?  How would a connection from a UK ISP get to the US Netlix without their servers realizing that I'm UK based and therefore blocking me??

Just read this about 10 times over.  The article is saying that Netflix traffic does go through a vpn, because the smartdns tells netflix traffic to do this, but all other traffic else doesn't.  Correct?

According to check routes feature, requests to bbc.co.uk are routed through internal routing server GB2, even the UK servers route it there. So it's not strange for Carinae to behave like this.

You could open a support ticket and ask for routing deletion to make it route directly.

Carinae seems to be the only server connecting directly to bbc.co.uk. Can you confirm the same behavior with other UK servers, like Dabih or Nunki?

I have not been able to replicate any of this

No, it's saying the Netflix stream doesn't go through a VPN. I don't know what this geographical information is either. I haven't been able to find any decent explanation of how the system actually works.

I have not been able to replicate any of this

What haven't you been able to replicate?

It seems that Carinae is the only airvpn server connected directly to bbc.co.uk, https://airvpn.org/routes/?q=bbc.co.uk  Still don't know why the BBC would geoblock a UK server.  I think that staff need to look into this one. Ill change to one of the Manchester servers.

No, it's saying the Netflix stream doesn't go through a VPN. I don't know what this geographical information is either. I haven't been able to find any decent explanation of how the system actually works.

Ill have to do some research about how they work.  Can someone enlighten us?

I am or was connected thru Nunki to bbc.co.uk at the time is all. Off to bed now, night night.

I am or was connected thru Nunki to bbc.co.uk at the time is all. Off to bed now, night night.

This is what should happen on Carinae, too, but it doesn't. To replicate, connect to Carinae and browse to http://bbc.co.uk. It must be Carinae, all other servers "work" fine.

By the way, herewith I personally confirm Carinae's redirect to bbc.com.

NOT AN AIRVPN TEAM MEMBER. USE TICKETS FOR PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT.

LZ1's New User Guide to AirVPN « Plenty of stuff for advanced users, too!

Want to contact me directly? All relevant methods are on my About me page.

It seems that Carinae is the only airvpn server connected directly to bbc.co.uk, https://airvpn.org/routes/?q=bbc.co.uk  Still don't know why the BBC would geoblock a UK server.  I think that staff need to look into this one. Ill change to one of the Manchester servers.

Hello,

BBC geoblock our UK server "Carinae".

We have inserted Carinae to Geolocation routing and now don't redirect to bbc.com.

Kind regards