Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.216.229
chuckhammerberry

are these slow download speeds normal?

I have Cable internet and my package is 325Mbps download / 20Mbps Upload and I get exactly that on speedtest.net

However, when my airvpn is connected I get only 9Mbps-10Mbps download / 15Mbps - 19Mbps Upload

I was going to use my old pc as a router or buy a DD-WRT router but if I'm going to lose that much speed there is no point. Can anyone confirm?

This the exact same problem that I started out with, though my "best" speeds were much lower than yours. I was only getting 10-15% of normal when going through the Air VPN system.

use the latest AirVPN client and test different send and receive buffers in advanced settings.

however, my guess is that your ISP is throttling openvpn connections.  try the SSL Tunnel (in protocol settings) as that should defeat their deep packet inspection

I have Cable internet and my package is 325Mbps download / 20Mbps Upload and I get exactly that on speedtest.net

However, when my airvpn is connected I get only 9Mbps-10Mbps download / 15Mbps - 19Mbps Upload

I was going to use my old pc as a router or buy a DD-WRT router but if I'm going to lose that much speed there is no point. Can anyone confirm?

From my ISP i have a 200/12 connection. Speed-test without vpn give's me between 180 - 190 down and +/- 10 up (difference between cable or WiFi are practically the same).

I changed vpn provider begin September (since 3/9 with AirVPN and very happy). I have tested, mostly the Dutch servers, with a result of.... 130 to 170 down and 9 - 10 up. These results are with or without ssl with AirVPN client EDDIE 2.10.3.

Testing with Tunnelblick or Viscosity gave me slower results. Germany and Sweden are slower in EDDIE as well.

DNS switch mode is automatic with AirVPN DNS. Network lock at startup, TCP/UDP socket send/receive buffer size 512KB

and in OVPN directives i have put sndbuf 524288 - rcvbuf 524288 in the Custom field. I think everything runs smooth now. My router, Airport Extreme a/c, is on 5Ghz with a max. rate of 1300Mbps.

Hope this info helps a bit (or Byte;-))

I have nothing to hide, but that's nobody's business!

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.
John Lennon
The further a society drift from truth the more it will hate those that speak it.
George Orwell

Which server did you choose for the test?

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

@Zaroad,

Hallo, most of the time i click on recommended server. In general i have good experiance with the Dutch severs.

Now I'm on the Subra server and i tested the speed 3 times for you to have an idea.

1 - 130/10------2 - 113/10-------3 - 125/10. This with ssl tunnel port 443.

The German servers are less speedy for me but rock solid as well.

snapz

I have nothing to hide, but that's nobody's business!

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.
John Lennon
The further a society drift from truth the more it will hate those that speak it.
George Orwell

From my ISP i have a 200/12 connection. Speed-test without vpn give's me between 180 - 190 down and +/- 10 up (difference between cable or WiFi are practically the same). I changed vpn provider begin September (since 3/9 with AirVPN and very happy). I have tested, mostly the Dutch servers, with a result of.... 130 to 170 down and 9 - 10 up. These results are with or without ssl with AirVPN client EDDIE 2.10.3. Testing with Tunnelblick or Viscosity gave me slower results. Germany and Sweden are slower in EDDIE as well. DNS switch mode is automatic with AirVPN DNS. Network lock at startup, TCP/UDP socket send/receive buffer size 512KB and in OVPN directives i have put sndbuf 524288 - rcvbuf 524288 in the Custom field. I think everything runs smooth now. My router, Airport Extreme a/c, is on 5Ghz with a max. rate of 1300Mbps. Hope this info helps a bit (or Byte;-))

Thanks, upping those settings worked like a charm. First was stuck at 30 - 40 and +/- 8 up (with a 200 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up). Tried the SSL with only slight increase in performance (although this probably was caused by a change of the server).

Then after upping TCP/UDP sockets send/receive buffer size and setting custom OVPN directives I'm now consistently on 130-150 Mb/s up and +/-19Mb/s down. SSL makes no difference at this point, so I guess no throttling at my ISP.