Not connected, Your IP: 3.91.19.28
hibernum

Browser Bypassing OpenVPN on Android ("OpenVPN Settings" app)

Hello,

I'm using "OpenVPN Settings" on Android, because of an unfixed bug of Android which completely prevents me from using OpenVPN for Android. So I am sorry that I cannot use the recommended app.

I created an "Android" config file in the client area, but my first problem is that "/sbin/ip" was not found: iproute was at "/system/bin/ip" instead. I figured out that adding `iproute /system/bin/ip` to my ovpn config file fixed this.

Now the openvpn successfully connects either from terminal using `openvpn <filename.ovpn` or using OpenVPN Settings app.

But, my browser is still going straight to the web from my mobile network. My IP address is still my normal IP address when I look it up, though OpenVPN logs appear normal and successfully connected.

I have tried adding 'redirect-gateway' to the config file but it doesn't work.

I would love some support making this connection successful and secure as I would like to use my phone through VPN only for some tasks.

I have attached my logs.

Thanks!

so i found your post (i understand more than a year later) from a google search, and a few minutes later i figured it out.  In case you never found an awnser, or more likely SOMEONE ELSE googled the problem and hasn't found the answer, i felt i should share what i did.

The problem (at least in my case) was on the client end. (Android client.)
all i had to do was 

In the app - click on VPN settings

Click Routing

Under IPv4 check box for "Use default Route"
Under IPv6 check box for "Use default Route"

reconnect, and check that ip baby... that's all i had to do.

Good luck to anyone reading this!

-mrosebro