Not connected, Your IP: 18.216.187.77
Sign in to follow this  
McLoEa

Is there a linux vpn watcher?

As in the title,is there an RPM linux equivalent to the windows vpn watcher tool?

Or is it all about firewall rules?

Thanks.

It's a vpn monitor tool that will disconnect selected software if the vpn drops a connection.

UGD software,google it,it's a good tool if you';re on windows.

On Linux I create an ip alias and bind the software to that interface - then all you have to do is route said ip through the VPN and drop all packet involving it that doesn't go through the VPN tunnel.

Not sure if there is a fancy GUI for doing that

The Eddie client has a lock feature that does exactly that.

Otherwise just use iptables / firewall. The routing is done automatically, shouldn't be a need to alias anything.

Otherwise just use iptables / firewall. The routing is done automatically, shouldn't be a need to alias anything.

If your ok with everything loosing network access if the VPN drops then yes that's a good solution, but I read it as only some software had to lose internet access if the VPN went down - and for that you would need split routing ( and programs capable of binding to a specific interface rather than just 0.0.0.0 )

If your ok with everything loosing network access if the VPN drops then yes that's a good solution, but I read it as only some software had to lose internet access if the VPN went down - and for that you would need split routing ( and programs capable of binding to a specific interface rather than just 0.0.0.0 )

That's exactly what I want.

But you're correct, I re-read and saw the selected software mentioned. Oops

I do understand the English language but I am struggling to understand why you wouldn't want the connection to come to a complete stop upon disconnect.  You are not accounting to me or anything close to that.  I worry (for myself) that ANY software allowed to pass through without the VPN tunnel being up presents strong potential security risks.  If you are comfortable with that notion, you have a much better handle on software control than I feel I ever will.

I have set up a firewall previously to stop connection if VPN fails. It is difficult and I cannot remember how.

Since then I learned that if you run 'sudo openvpn <your file name>' in terminal then it will not fail. If the connection fails, openvpn stays active, and blocks all internet connections. You must manually shut-down openvpn (which may need `pkill -9 openvpn` to work sometimes) to permit applications to access the internet again.

Since starting to use terminal->'sudo openvpn AirVPN.ovpn' I have never needed a VPN watcher or Firewall rule again, it works perfectly. There is no window or graphical interface of course, but it is not difficult to learn.