Not connected, Your IP: 44.192.75.131

I am trying to get port forwarding working but it isn't.

OS is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  

I'm running ssh on a non-standard port (lets call it 1234).   I am connected to airvpn.org fine, and "checkip.org" shows my IP as what it should be.

I forward port 1234 tcp/udp to 1234 localhost.

From my box, I can "ssh -p 1234 user@localhost" fine, so I'm pretty sure sshd is listening there.

I can also "ssh -p 1234 user@192.168.1.100", the static IP my machine has.  That works fine.

However, I cannot ssh to the airvpn ip at 1234, nor does "canyouseeme.org" show that port is open.  

I have also tried this on another non-ssh service (subsonic).  I can get to my subsonic instance on port 33333 (for example) from within my lan, but not through the IP that AIRVPN says I'm using.

I should note that this was all working recently - I switched to Ubuntu (from Mint), and now it's not, but because I can't see that port open with canyouseeme.org, I'm not sure it's the OS switch that is the issue.

I can get to both ssh and subsonic from other machines on my LAN via the static IP.

My router is not doing anything with any of these ports.

Thoughts on what to try next welcome.

SOLVED!

It was, of course, my error.

I had used a previously downloaded ovpn setup which was generated for a different account.  So when I logged into THIS account I was looking at port forwards for THIS account, but my machine was actually logged into a different account with different forwards.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, but if it does there's one more thing to check.