Not connected, Your IP: 18.119.253.93
mazurka7

Eddie vs Router - Pros and Cons

I understand the user can either use the Eddie client to access the Internet through the VPN or "hardwire" the router itself (using DD-WRT firmware etc.) to do so.

Using Eddie provides the user the convenience of accessing the Internet outside of the VPN when he chooses by closing Eddie and deactivating Network Lock. With a router configured for only VPN use, this is not possible.

I am sure there are other pros and cons to both approaches and would welcome everyone who have explored this subject to offer their opinions and thoughts. Feel free to assume that some level of technical competence is present.  

Thanks.

Router

Pro:

+ Any numer of machines can use the vpn a one time

+ You can do selective routing to decide which machines use vpn or which sites to use vpn for

+ You can set up a dedicated WiFi network that forces all clients through VPN and not have to worry about missing clients, etc.

Cons;

+ Unless you buy a very expensive  ($400+) router the speed will not be as fast as using Eddie

+ The more excotic configurations area good deal more complicated to set up than just pushing a button

Btw even if you are using the router you can still decide when and if you want to use vpn - either by loggin into the router and hitting the "stop vpn" button, or if your using source based routing by changing IP ( can be set up to be done in just a click )

Most significant ROUTER con is the performance loss.  Its large on a typical home level (200.00 ish) quality device.  Use of the router means that IT will have to perform the encryption processing.  Investigate the processor in your router before you make a decision.

I will tell you that installing ddwrt (linux firmware) improves things alot even if you elect NOT to do the vpn/encryption at the router level.  My 200 dollar router runs more like a 400 router since going to ddwrt.  With i7 4th gen machines I still do the encryption processing on the computer because its lightning by comparison.  Just my observation.  Those with strong pfsense hardware would report differently, but not many here have access to such equipment.

performance depends on how fast your ISP line is.  There are several routers that have dual core CPU running 1000mhz or so.  They can do openvpn at 50mbit/s+

if you want 200mbit/s speed then you'll need a pro router. but, chances are you'll struggle to get that anyway from any VPN provider.  (downloading at 200bit/s is 2/5 of a 1gbit/s server's bandwidth because your download is inbound and outbound for the server)

Cons;

+ Unless you buy a very expensive  ($400+) router the speed will not be as fast as using Eddie

unless you have an old computer laying around and setup pfsense on it and use it as a router