Not connected, Your IP: 18.117.196.217

SoftEther is an interesting project, but it has quite a few factors working against it:

1. Considering that SoftEther is a crypto project, their websites do not inspire confidence:

• F-rated SSL/TLS configuration on their main site
  • no SSL/TLS at all on their download site

2. It hasn't been around long enough (~ 2014) - smaller user base, in flux, no code audits

3. SoftEther seemingly tries to support every protocol and feature under the sun, which is nice from a usability standpoint, but horrible from a security and code maintenance perspective. It goes against the current trend in secure software development (compare, for example, LibreSSL's approach)

4. AirVPN encourages exclusive use of FOSS on both servers and clients, whereas SoftEther encourages use of proprietary clients by supporting IPsec and MS-SSTP. I don't see much common ground.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

Also last time I checked the server management software was Windows only, which is a huge miss.

I understand where it might come from, after all there are many "Windows only" protocols such as SSTP,

but it makes the entire project less attractive until they decide to fix it.

However, it might be a good solution as a client-only mode, especially in case you use a VPN provider that does

not release an open-source client software. Naked OpenVPN is lacking many features on a desktop.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hi,

Resume this (old) thread, adding some considerations.

From my point of view, OpenVPN protocol (or better actual implementation) suffers of two limits:

1) Time spent to switch between kernel and user space

2) Mono thread

These two problems make it unsuitable to support high performance connections: with Softether I think, or better I hope, these two limits should be eliminated: next week I will create a Softether VPN Server and I will try it with Softether client (protocol SSL-VPN), trying to compare my openvpn connection with SoftEther connection.

What do you think?

Hi,

From my point of view, OpenVPN protocol (or better actual implementation) suffers of two limits:

2) Mono thread

These two problems make it unsuitable to support high performance connections: with Softether I think, or better I hope, these two limits should be eliminated: next week I will create a Softether VPN Server and I will try it with Softether client (protocol SSL-VPN), trying to compare my openvpn connection with SoftEther connection.

What do you think?

Wrong.

Kernel and User space context switching takes nano-seconds, this is not a significant performance gain if at all.

Regarding the performance gain if multi-core is implemented, I haven't yet seen a benchmark of SoftEther on both sides

vs OpenVPN on both sides using the same link.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Hi,

2) Mono thread

What do you think?

Wrong.

Kernel and User space context switching takes nano-seconds, this is not a significant performance gain if at all.

Regarding the performance gain if multi-core is implemented, I haven't yet seen a benchmark of SoftEther on both sides

vs OpenVPN on both sides using the same link.

Me neither: I would to try these three case studies (I will use a dedicated server):

1) OpenVPN Server - OpenVPN client

2) Softether Server - Softether Client

3) Softether server - OpenVPN client

What do you think?

P.S.: another interesting VPN project, www.wireguard.io (not yet ready)