Not connected, Your IP: 3.139.97.157
aspergyllus

Latency doubled - is there a reason?

Hi all!

First, I thought it would have been right to post that here, if not the staff should feel free to move it.

It's not really a problem, as I can connect, but I've seen latency almost doubled in the past few days. I used to connect to Netherlands servers, as they were listed the ones with highest speed, and latency was always around 30-40 ms. That until a couple weeks ago. Then i didn't use AirVPN for about a week and 3-4 days ago, when starting Eddie, it showed that the best servers were in Sweden (first 3, then netherlands and sweden again) and latency was 65-70 ms.

Now, I don't really care if I'm connected to Sweden or the Netherlands , but I was wondering if there was a reson for such a "high" latency, and if I have to do something to fix it.

Notice that I closed Eddie, disconnected from my internet connection and also turned computer off in these days, but that didn't change a thing; also, my internet connection seems just as normal as it used to be.

Thanks in advance!

latency is a description of the path from you to the server.  the servers can't do anything to change latency.

most likely peering/transit by your ISP has changed.

I've actually seen a big latency increase at times recently. I'd have one system staying logged on semipermanently and eddying away with normal latency while another system would be hit quadruple the latency. Both were updated to latest Eddie 2.10.2 experimental a few days ago.

Occasionally the system seeing irregular high latencies would also show the geographically nearest entry point down the sorted-by-speed latency list and the "fastest" server listed (triple digit latency, also higher than usual) would be hundreds or even thousands of kms away as if routing was acting funny. Closing and restarting Eddie would make no difference.

Other network load could help explain the occasional (very) slow latency, but not the seeing a server on another continent as being fastest (while still slower than usual).

A couple of hours ago nothing would help, but right now the occasionally "slow" system is back to low and regular looking latencies geographically.

Could be some issues with my ISP or other strange goings-on related to my location. Yet the system that stays mostly logged on seems unaffected.

I have some odd latency issues as well, but only with the Swedish servers. The latency will be very low for a few days then I will see it gradually have increased a little every time when I log on the next few days, always very systematically until it has about doubled. When it reaches that point it will have reverted back to the original low latency the next day I log on and the pattern repeats every time. In fact it happened again just now, yesterday my latency had reached the point where it had doubled and sure enough, today it was back to the lowest values. The cycle seems to take about a week.

At least I'm not the only one i forgot to say that latency has doubled just for the quickest servers, if i look at the 7' / 8' servers it's actually tripled.

If any of the staff guys could leave a word it'd be very appreciated, just so we know if it is actually a problem or not

I have some odd latency issues as well, but only with the Swedish servers.

Interesting observation.

My affected system has also connected to Swedish servers in recent days.

I just tried it. Logged off from Beid and back on to Pherkad and  1) latency doubled and  2)  my geographically nearest server stopped being the fastest in terms of latency.

After another off/on cycle the latency doubled again and latency to all other servers has jumped by similar measure, although some regions seem to suffer little less than others.

I'm normally using latest Eddie (exp 2.10.2) under Linux with Network Lock and "lock current" enabled. Disabling both and restarting Eddie several times doesn't fix the latency issue and the geographical latency oddities continue.

Normally the Swedish servers are in the top third (but never among the very fastest) here in terms of latency, but sometimes when this issue has flared they might turn out towards the end and closer to 1s latency! The issue persists even after I connect through non-Swedish servers and after several restarts of Eddie.

Hello,

since you experience the problem with different servers in different datacenters it is probably more reasonable to assume that the problem is not on our side. It is highly unlikely, if not impossible, that different datacenters in the world with different transit providers have all together the same identical problem at the same time.

Also, if you have a look at the Ping Matrix you can verify that there are no such problems, latency between all the possible combinations of our nodes (which gives birth to the Ping Matrix) is fine and consistent with normal values observed in the last months and years.

Kind regards

The latency increase problem hasn't reappeared in the last few days and I can only think of two things that had something to do with it in my case.

First I made sure the (Eddie) settings between affected and unaffected system were exactly the same. I had to unselect "Remove default gateway route" in the affected system and nothing else.

Secondly the AirVPN server nearest to me has occasionally had issues (incl. out of service) and it was "closed" for a while again few days ago. After it came back online normal latency and ping services have resumed and everything's peachy.

My issue was probably not with the more distant servers I was connecting to, but between me and the first hop.

Just wanted to say that I actually had and still have troubles with my connection, but they were so subtle that I didn't perceive them during browsing until they became bigger. Unluckily my ISP says everything is ok with my connection, so only thing I can do now is accepting that. Oh, yeah,that and change ISP

Regards