Not connected, Your IP: 44.213.80.203

windows 10

How many of you have installed windows 10? How many programs did you lose when doing so?

None But OMAGAD AirVPN is soooooo ugly on Windows 10, it's like the if program is "blurred" but it's the whole program, not only "pictures" etc

Wow that sucks

i have installed it, not lost any programs but when i try to connect to certain torrent sites now through VPN it doesnt work anymore...i get the ukcourtswebsite saying the site is blocked...

when i go through tor i get a direct hit on the site with no issues....

help

I solved my problem, if someone have the same thing: create a AirVPN shortcut, right click, properties, compatibility, and check "disable the scaling of the display for high resolutions" (something like that, I have the french version of Windows)

I'm a bit surprised to see Win10 discussed at all in this forum.
I understand that some people might not be in a position to abandon Windows but why the rush towards Windows 10? I mean, have you read their new privacy policies?

Before you say, "yeah, all those new features suck, I'll just turn them all off" - well, you can't:
Unless you have the "Enterprise" edition, you can't opt out of "diagnostic and usage data" collection.
https://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg

https://twitter.com/adrianchm/status/626734160032477184

Before you say, "oh, but you can run tweak-tool XYZ or change this registry value, that'll turn it off completely" - how do you know? It's proprietary software. You're not in control whatsoever. Also, it only takes a small Windows update - that you can no longer opt out of either - to revert your manual changes. Why would they want to do that? Well, to quote Microsoft, data collection is now "vital to the operation of Windows", so you really have no reason to believe that your manual changes will stick.

I'm not sure what else Microsoft would have to do to make Windows look more like spyware than it already does. I really don't.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

you can opt out when you upgrade...if you hit the customise setting........i have done this....

but yes like you say, what is to say that they will not change this with another 'critical' update........if i was that paranoid i would not be using windows at all....but as it's only certain things i need, i am resonably happy to use windows...

and so far windows 10 seems to be ok....but i shall remain sceptical...

Running win 10 on a VM through  VPN on host machine and VPN on win 10. IP is leaking (host machine VPN ip) even tho' ipv6 is disabled and not leaking on host machine :-/

I installed W10 on my VM, I got the enterprise edition for obvious reasons on it, I am most definitely not in a rush but I'm curious about windows 10 never the less since I am a gamer and DX12 will become a real thing soon enough

i have installed it, not lost any programs but when i try to connect to certain torrent sites now through VPN it doesnt work anymore...i get the ukcourtswebsite saying the site is blocked...

when i go through tor i get a direct hit on the site with no issues....

help

That sounds an awful lot like your connection to the VPN isn't being honoured by the local system (routing etc). If you go to ipleak.net or whoer.net I bet you'd find your ISP listed instead of AirVPN. Personally I'd uninstall everything openvpn related (including Eddie) then reinstall the latest and try again. Make sure you use network lock too. I had this issue at first on a Win 10 test build but it appeared OK in the final build. 

I understand that some people might not be in a position to abandon Windows but why the rush towards Windows 10? I mean, have you read their new privacy policies?

Before you say, "yeah, all those new features suck, I'll just turn them all off" - well, you can't:

Unless you have the "Enterprise" edition, you can't opt out of "diagnostic and usage data" collection.

Before you say, "oh, but you can run tweak-tool XYZ or change this registry value, that'll turn it off completely" - how do you know? It's proprietary software. You're not in control whatsoever. Also, it only takes a small Windows update - that you can no longer opt out of either - to revert your manual changes. Why would they want to do that? Well, to quote Microsoft, data collection is now "vital to the operation of Windows", so you really have no reason to believe that your manual changes will stick.

I'm not sure what else Microsoft would have to do to make Windows look more like spyware than it already does. I really don't.

This is all very true, sadly. Unfortunately though, until all games work perfectly on Steam and Linux (or BSD etc) finally gets its act together regarding the UX and app quality Windows is going to remain as popular as ever. I've used *nix for well over a decade and still use it primarily when I want things to be locked down (network transfers, banking, chats, private data etc)... But as soon as I want to game, or use a proper office suite, or whatever, Windows is the only real option. 

Thanks for the information was reading up on windows 10 and yeah figured switching all them features off would be fine but its good to know the enterprise edition can switch off that data usage collection, hopefully enough people complain and allow it fully switched off in all versions in the future but perhaps wishful thinking. Will read those links had a quick glance over them and interesting stuff !

I would move over to linux but just like rain above if you into your Pc games.....

Found this article here with some registry edits and settings to modify:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10/

Also to note they wrote this:

NOTE: This only truly works in the Enterprise edition, but the final step provides a decent enough workaround for Pro users.

So yeah you will need enterprise edition to really have data collection switched off

Using a Pirated copy would allow you to get enterprise and some privacy, I personally would never wish to PAY others to spy on me when I specifically pay for being unable to be spied on, I encrypt my e-mails, I encrypt my passwords and my IP

I don't remember a single new Windows version that wasn't launched with some Internet fiasco around it.

This one will be fun to see, I bet so many people will pirate it and use this unremovable spying feature (which seems to be intrusive this time) as an excuse why

they pirate the expensive enterprise copy

The "Share Wi-Fi passwords with friends" is a very communist idea, I must admit that I never expeceted it to be on by default.

Time to make new friends

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

I wiped my (completely legitimate) Windows 8.1 Pro x64 install tonight and installed Windows 10 Enterprise x64 from the official ISO. I then followed this guide to disable the crapware, logging and data mining (including adding the relevant MS IPs to the hosts file). Working A-OK so far but I'll only be using it for games and maybe video conversions etc (Linux still can't touch Windows for good multicore aware GUI video converters).

Linux dual boot here I come. It's a shame because in a lot of ways even these days Linux doesn't make the best of my hardware (FX8350 octacore, 16GB RAM, Radeon R9 380). I don't mean using hardware acceleration for eye candy (KDE plasma 5 or whatever), but rather things like great power management drivers, good multicore aware apps, polished feature rich video converters, support from OEMs for apps etc. It's still a hassle to get VPAPI or VDPAU hardware accelerated video playback working, and even then only a couple of clients support it. It's also impossible to get a good video converter as stated, as even the ones that work look like something from the early 90s and are buggy as hell.

Unfortunately Windows has gone from a shady maybe-miner to an overt "Get it free and sell yourselves to us completely".  I'd just started using Windows a bit more this last year, but now I'm put right off again. Sad times.

Hi rainmakerraw,

I don't want to derail the thread off-topic, as since the title is just "Windows 10", it can go over 10 pages in any case.

Let's still try to keep it focused on the main purpose why we are here, which are mainly privacy and anonymity.

What you are probably saying that one cannot be "productive enough" using FOSS software.

I actually tend to agree with you, but not because I think that closed source software is somewhat superior in quality or perfornance.

The consumers of those new peieces of hardware are are what is called "Captive audience".

Their only choice is closed drivers for a single OS family, sometimes even a single version of the OS family, or nothing at all.

Traditionally this changes over the time, good examples are the on-going browser standard wars (IE vs. others) and the open

codec, gaming, video, and other industries. The times where you had to have IE6 in order to access websites is gone.

Soon the applications will have to adopt. Not because Microsoft is bad, but because the mobile market is growing, and MS has less than 5% in it.

Probably when you want to make professional videos, photo editing, and anything else that comes to the same area, your less

concern is anonymity. After all, you cannot present, or sell your work in this field using pseodonomous aliases, or unlicensed software.

At least it would not serve the right potential and the right audience if you do that.

This is why, a simple "risk control", or "threat modeling" in the security industry, should be done in any case of using any technology,

and if you think about it on a deeper level, it makes a perfect sense. Each tool is only good for it's own job.

Assuming you are not being "productive" 24/7, there is no reason that you have to use that software alone, which is good for some of

your daily tasks, but still scares people away adopting it as their 24/7 OS.

On the bottomn line, instead of getting all the 20 years "captured" workstation audience back - in where they seem to slowly move to mobile

and cloud solutions, Microsoft shoots it's own leg, leading even less technical people around me thinking about ditching Windows.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

In the tiny market niche AirVPN operates, FOSS and peer-reviewed FOSS is vital. What would our customers say if we ran our server with Windows server editions, and our VPN architecture was based on some Microsoft protocol (PPTP)?

Probably nothing, just because in that scenario AirVPN would have no customers at all. :D

Kind regards!

Revert to Windows 7 and be careful. MS is playing a shell game here with rootkits distributed as "patches". If you use Windows 10, you are using an OS as a service. You can never own it, and just because it is "free" this year does not mean they are not mining you for data to sell.

Unfamiliar with Linux? Start with Linux Mint and follow the guide here.

https://airvpn.org/topic/14938-dual-boot-windoze-with-linux-mint-172-in-25-steps/

Debugging is at least twice as hard as writing the program in the first place.

So if you write your code as clever as you can possibly make it, then by definition you are not smart enough to debug it.

Everyone knows Windows 10 is surveillance heavy, but less people seem to know that the more recent updates for 7 and 8 are pushing the "Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service" elements into the older systems too.

Do a quick search for KB3022345 KB3068708 KB3075249 or KB3080149 and see that if you have regular Windows 7 or 8 updates, you're really not that much better off than if you were using Windows 10. I guess those are what OmniNegro is talking about.