Not connected, Your IP: 3.21.162.87
stealthbobber

Trying to get past Double NAT/4G modem.

To start I will describe my setup:

Novatel (Bell) 4g internet stick with external antenna

Mofi router that uses 4G as WAN (all default settings)

Win 7

Firewall (disabled for testing)

For starters I need VPN for privacy, the 4G acount is a work related one (unlimited data) and dont want any letters from torrent use. This works just fine, real nice product for this. I also have PIA but moved over for the portforward service.

Next I want to be able to get acces from the outside, mostly for Plex but also have other needs for direct connection to others outside and need some open ports.

When I first installed Airvpn, I opened some ports and was able to get an open status indicated by the Portforward.com utility. When I attempted to get PLex to work it failed.

I left it for a coup[le of days but know when I try I cant even get the ports to say open on the PF.com utility?

Question...

I have been told that my setup precludes me from having any ability to fully open ports and allow outside access.

It would seem I have 3 IP's (ipconfig)

Ethernet Local Area Connection 192.168.xxx.xxx with an asscoiated gateway (internal from router)

Ethernet Local Area Connection 10.4.xxx.xxx (Provided from Bell stick?)

Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx (I assume the IP Airvpn provides?)

Then there is of course my Publix exit IP listed on the Airvpn app....173.44.xxx.xxx

Any guidance to where I need to start first?

Thanks

Hello!

Question...

I have been told that my setup precludes me from having any ability to fully open ports and allow outside access.

You can maybe discard those claims because:

When I first installed Airvpn, I opened some ports and was able to get an open status indicated by the Portforward.com utility

However it must be clarified which service was reachable in the system that was in the VPN and how you performed tests with that utility.

It would seem I have 3 IP's (ipconfig)

Ethernet Local Area Connection 192.168.xxx.xxx with an asscoiated gateway (internal from router)

Ethernet Local Area Connection 10.4.xxx.xxx (Provided from Bell stick?)

Tunnel Adapter Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx (I assume the IP Airvpn provides?)

Occasionally you may encounter a host which has somehow assigned itself an IP address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range. This is a particularly common symptom ofWindows machines which have been configured for DHCP but for whatever reason are unable to contact a DHCP server. When a host fails to dynamically acquire an address, it can optionally assign itself a link-local IPv4 address in accordance with RFC 3927. Microsoft's term for this is Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addressing (APIPA). http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/sep/24/169-254-0-0-addresses-explained/

Probably not meaningful in your case, you can ignore it, it should be just some "unconfigured" tunneling interface.

10.4.0.0/16 is in the range of the VPN IP addresses when you connect to our service to port 443 in UDP, see also https://airvpn.org/specs

So, if that interface which is assigned an address in the range 10.4.0.0/16 is a physical interface, a conflict will arise when the tun adapter IP address is DHCP-pushed by our servers. In this case change connection port (for example, connect to port 80 in UDP).

On the contrary, if that's the tun/tap interface, then it's all right.

After that, an additional problem must be considered. If your system has multiple interfaces for multiple ISPs, it will have multiple gateways. This can become a major problem for OpenVPN and can also pose the question about how Plex binds to what. However, feel free to clarify, because that's not totally clear from your message:

Then there is of course my Publix exit IP listed on the Airvpn app....173.44.xxx.xxx

Any guidance to where I need to start first?

Thanks

According to all of the above, it seems that the problem pertains only to Plex: traffic is tunneled and remote port forwarding appears to be working.

OpenVPN logs and output of commands "ipconfig /all" and "route print" (while the system is allegedly connected to the VPN) can help.

Kind regards

Ok....banged around some more and got it.

Dammed firewall, thought I had it disabled for testing.

Could you please delete that previous post with all the info?

Thanks

Very good support, fast and thourough.

I will be moving from a month to a yearly Sub now...

I still have some issues with Plex but they I belive they are Plex related, at least now I have open ports!

Thanks