Not connected, Your IP: 3.137.170.183
netw0rkninja

ANSWERED Torrents (P2P) -- Is it being throttled to 1MBps?

Hello All,

I am on 300 Mbps connection. Based in the US. I was wonderign whether the p2p traffic is rate limitied?

I am getting a constant 1MBps throughput.

Normal speedtest on VPN gives like 50Mbps. I have tried multiple torrents. and looks like, someone is ratelimiting.

Regards,

I was wonderign whether the p2p traffic is rate limitied?

Quote from AirVPN Home page -

No traffic limit...
No maximum speed limit, it depends only on the server load (See here).

Minimum allocated granted bandwidth: 4 Mbit/s download + 4 Mbit/s upload

Every protocol is welcome, including p2p.

I get around 18MB/sec (i.e. around 144Mbps) on torrents no problems with Air, so it's pretty safe to say they're not rate limiting. What OS, torrent client and server are you using? What settings have you entered into the torrent client? Are you using port forwarding? Are you sure the torrent is well enough seeded to maximise your bandwidth? Try a Debian, Ubuntu or Solus Linux torrent. They're usually very well seeded (Solus maxed my line last night easily).

Air do not rate limit or discriminate against any protocols, it is likely to be related to your configuration.

I will give those torrents a try. I could get about 4-6MBps after I change to SSL over 443. It could be a MTU issue too.. is there a one stop fix for MTU issues? I am on MAC OS X.

using Eddie 2.9/2.10

I don't know about the MTU issue, but could it be ISP shaping/throttling? Adding SSL yet getting a speed boost suggests your line may be getting shaped/managed/throttled. What speeds do you get on a fast well seeded torrent when not connected to any VPN at all?

(Hint: only download free Linux torrents on your naked ISP line!)

Not sure what to suggest mate, given that you get better speeds without VPN (i.e. it's unlikely to be a simple wifi issue, or whatever). I just grabbed an Ubuntu torrent on my own MacBook Pro (Yosemite 10.10.4) while connected to one of Air's UK servers over 443 UDP.

I got over 15 MB/sec which is not far off my full line speed, though it was a little flaky (i.e. not constant high speed like I'd get without VPN):

ScreenShot2015-07-22at23.27.14.th.png

Maybe generate a config and try connecting to 443 UDP using Viscosity (trial version) or Tunnelblick and see if you can eliminate any possible Eddie issues?

Also,

I just VPN'ed into a server in the US. it looks like SSL 443 gives good speeds. about 11MBps. I get like 96Mbps on Speedtest. (I am wifi, and the stupid modem+wifi box can do only this speed, even though my line speed is greater).