Not connected, Your IP: 44.200.23.133

Hi All,

I want to buy a new router because I am using now a Asus RT-AC66u with merlin and the VPN speeds are extremely slow I only get 10 procent of my ISP speed..

The ASUS RT-AC3200 seems to be really cool. But what do you guys think is the best Airvpn router?

Thanks!

What speed does your isp provide?

Anyways I would not recommend any routers you mention above. I also thought it would be fine to use a rather professional router (Ubiquiti Edgerouter) and then found out I am only getting around 7 MBit/s!

Better get a thin client with crypto h/w (like VIA Padlock) and a Intel dual NIC that runs with pfsense.

Ac68u or r7000 with ddwrt or tomatousb shibby i dont think ac3200 are stable

yeah, the AC3200 is still getting sorted out.  the AC87 would be faster than the AC68 stock, just FYI.  But, it's still getting sorted as well.  anyway, if getting Asus routers Merlin firmware is the way to go.

I had a similar question. Right now I have Asus AC68 with latest Merlin firmware and my download speeds seems to be capped at 10 mbps. My ISP is 100 mbps up/down. I also have a Netgear R7000 setup as an access point with stock firmware but haven't tried OpenVPN on it yet. I know the R7000 has a slightly faster processor. 

Any recommendations or experience of whether it's worth it to switch the OpenVPN to the R7000? Flash to DD-WRT? What should be the expected throughput? Any way to make the Asus router faster? dd-wrt?

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

I upgraded to the latest ddwrt Firmware and i get 3.000-3.400kbs Other airvpn User get 50mbit/s with Merlin-wrt on ac68u

I had a similar question. Right now I have Asus AC68 with latest Merlin firmware and my download speeds seems to be capped at 10 mbps. My ISP is 100 mbps up/down. I also have a Netgear R7000 setup as an access point with stock firmware but haven't tried OpenVPN on it yet. I know the R7000 has a slightly faster processor. 

Any recommendations or experience of whether it's worth it to switch the OpenVPN to the R7000? Flash to DD-WRT? What should be the expected throughput? Any way to make the Asus router faster? dd-wrt?

maybe your ISP is throttling you?  I use the AC68 and, believe me, it can do better.

I am using a 5-6yr old Buffalo WHR-G300N updated to DD-WRT software and get around 65Mbps with qBittorrent closed and 50Mbps with it open from a 100Mbps service from my ISP. I have the ISP's box set to modem only and then the router outside that.

Hi all,

Thank you for the answers! I just bought the Asus rt-ac3200 with Merlin and  the speeds are between around 40Mbps (ISP speed: 200 Mbps).

The router is amazing good for streaming with vpn.

I was thinking to buy a Pfsense box but the install progess is to much work for me..

maybe your ISP is throttling you?  I use the AC68 and, believe me, it can do better.

I tried connecting to a more local VPN server with improved speeds up to 30 mbps down/10 mbps up but haven't been able to break that. are you getting faster than that? if so, anything different you have set with your router besides default settings?