Not connected, Your IP: 3.237.32.143
Stampy

More Censorship coming to the UK!

WhatsApp, Snapchat and iMessage could be banned under new laws

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/10/whatsapp-snapchat-and-imessage-could-be-banned-under-new-laws-5289099/#ixzz3fUMmkw00

I realise this was posted a while ago but since its being brought up again in the news and looks like it will be implemented this time around.

Is there any chance that AIR will be increasing the allowance of connections per account? Since I will now need an additional connection for my Smartphone and Tablet.

Is there any chance that AIR will be increasing the allowance of connections per account? Since I will now need an additional connection for my Smartphone and Tablet.

You do know that 3 connections are allowed, do you? So that's 3 devices (at least 3, since one of the devices can be a router as well NATting more clients)

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

Are they gonna try to ban VPN's and make all traffic between yourself and your workplace unsafe too? 

Are they gonna try to ban VPN's and make all traffic between yourself and your workplace unsafe too? 

I wouldn't bet against the 3rd Reich trying to do anything. We may all be better off and have more freedom if we moved to North Korea.

Yes but they are all used.

You do know that 3 connections are allowed, do you? So that's 3 devices (at least 3, since one of the devices can be a router as well NATting more clients)

If this goes ahead as planned then what about business etc who rely on encryption etc to avoid leaking of confidential inf, copyright theft etc. I can't see that happening so it probably means that VPN use is about to bonanza if this anti democratic law is passed. Good luck to all at AirVPN you are about to become millionaires, lol.

The High Court has ruled that the "emergency" DRIPA surveillance legislation rushed through Parliament last year is unlawful.

A challenge brought by MPs David Davis (Con) and Tom Watson (Lab), following the rushed passage of the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014 (DRIPA) – which was sped through Parliament under "emergency" pretexts – has been upheld by the High Court.

The court found that sections 1 and 2 of DRIPA are incompatible with the British public's right to respect for private life and communications and to protection of personal data under Articles 7 and 8 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

The landmark judgment was delivered on the anniversary of DRIPA receiving Royal Assent on 17 July 2014.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/17/high_court_dripa_unlawful/

The High Court has ruled that the "emergency" DRIPA surveillance legislation rushed through Parliament last year is unlawful.

A challenge brought by MPs David Davis (Con) and Tom Watson (Lab), following the rushed passage of the Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Act 2014 (DRIPA) – which was sped through Parliament under "emergency" pretexts – has been upheld by the High Court.

The court found that sections 1 and 2 of DRIPA are incompatible with the British public's right to respect for private life and communications and to protection of personal data under Articles 7 and 8 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

The landmark judgment was delivered on the anniversary of DRIPA receiving Royal Assent on 17 July 2014.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/17/high_court_dripa_unlawful/

Excellent. Thanks for posting

You need not worry - DRIPA will be back soon, because DANGER, DANGER, TERRORISM! Thousands of lives at risk after High Court rules snooping powers unlawful

One particular phrase piqued my spidey senses:

a significant proportion of those requests relate to non-crime enquiries, for example: tracing vulnerable and suicidal missing persons.”

Oh, I see! You say you need all this access to solve crime and prevent terrorism, but you also use it for "non-crime enquiries"?

I have no further questions, your honor

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

There's no such thing as "absolute Freedom of Speech". You can't call in a bomb threat. Still, it would be nice if the UK had some freedom of speech.

I'd argue the contrary: There's no such thing as some freedom of speech - you either have free speech or you don't. However, to touch on your bomb threat example, that doesn't mean that your exercise of free speech is without consequence. If your free speech causes direct damage, those you have damaged might rightfully take action against you. You can't use bomb threats as an argument against free speech.

Actually though, "censorship vs freedom of speech" is not the main issue at hand - at least in the western world.
What we're actually fighting against are total surveillance police states;  the idea that we can't have any confidential or private means of communication. The idea that we have to abolish any rights to privacy and individual freedom, just for a wee bit of perceived security.

Not only is that an ideologically abhorrent idea, it has also proven to be an extremely ineffective strategy against crime and terror. Governments know that of course, they aren't stupid. They abuse the public's fear of terror to broaden their power over the plebs.

Absurd UK footnote: Huge budgets for GCHQ and CCTV, yet no money for actual police work.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0