Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.174.36
patatasfritas48

Unable to communicate with TOR (Unable to find your TOR path.)

hi

i've signed up to airvpn to use it with Tor and Whonix.

I have read https://airvpn.org/tor/ and made that is was wrotten.

I have modified /home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc-defaults

now it is :

# applications.

#SocksPort 9150

SocksPort 127.0.0.1:9150 PreferSOCKSNoAuth

ControlPort 9151

CookieAuthentication 1

I launch tor browser and after I launch AirVPN client but when I try Preference>Protocols>Tor>Test I have the error :

TOR Test: Unable to communicate with TOR (Unable to find your TOR path.). Is TOR up and running?

thank you for your help and sorry for my poor english.

I don't have time to dive deep into this topic right now but I might be able to offer some pointers:

1. torrc-defaults is not the file you want to modify. From Tor manual: "The contents of this file are overridden by those in the regular configuration file, and by those on the command line." Adding to that, I doubt that changing Tor Browser's torrc would do you any good because Whonix' actual tor process is running on the Gateway with its own torrc, probably in /etc/tor/

2. I don't think you need to modify your torrc at all because your problem lies elsewhere:

The AirVPN client expects a local Tor client and looks for a control cookie at the following paths:

/var/run/tor/control.authcookie

/var/lib/tor/control_auth_cookie

I suspect your Whonix Workstation doesn't have auth cookies in any of these locations, so the AirVPN client's check will fail.

I don't use Whonix but the way I understand it, cookie auth happens on the Gateway, not the Workstation (according to their documentation, Tor control messages are sent from the Workstation using what looks like password auth to a Control Port Filter Proxy running on the Gateway which in turn uses cookie-auth with Tor).

3. I'm sure you can make it work but probably not with the AirVPN client's Tor mode - you could try to simply run the client without hooking it up to Tor, that's what Whonix' transparent proxification is there for, right?

Or, instead follow Whonix' own instructions on how to use VPNs in Whonix here and here.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

hi and thanks for your reply

3. I'm sure you can make it work but probably not with the AirVPN client's Tor mode - you could try to simply run the client without hooking it up to Tor, that's what Whonix' transparent proxification is there for, right?

I've tested it; it works but with the "normal" AirVPN client TCP connexion, I can't access to the .onion sites.

1. torrc-defaults is not the file you want to modify. From Tor manual: "The contents of this file are overridden by those in the regular configuration file, and by those on the command line." Adding to that, I doubt that changing Tor Browser's torrc would do you any good because Whonix' actual tor process is running on the Gateway with its own torrc, probably in /etc/tor/

I understand but I can't find torrc int /etc/tor/ in the gateway.

2. I don't think you need to modify your torrc at all because your problem lies elsewhere:

The AirVPN client expects a local Tor client and looks for a control cookie at the following paths:

/var/run/tor/control.authcookie

/var/lib/tor/control_auth_cookie

I suspect your Whonix Workstation doesn't have auth cookies in any of these locations, so the AirVPN client's check will fail.

yes this control.authcookie file doesn't exist in the whonix workstation but in the whonix gateway.

but I'm always in trouble :s

I understand but I can't find torrc int /etc/tor/ in the gateway.

That would be odd. Whonix FAQ:

Tor's configuration file has been adapted for Whonix, you can check it on Whonix-Gateway in /etc/tor/torrc and /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc

I still think you don't need to modify torrc, though.

I've tested it; it works but with the "normal" AirVPN client TCP connexion, I can't access to the .onion sites.

That is expected and explicitly mentioned in one of my links to the Whonix doc.

While I am sure you could come up with a create solution for this problem, the Whonix maintainer doesn't think so.

In any case, this is more related to Whonix than it is to (Air)VPN, so you might have a better chance directly asking the Whonix community for ideas.

all of my content is released under CC-BY-SA 2.0

ok thank you for your help.i've seen on the whonix's forum it's impossible to see .onions with a vpn after tor, unless if you do a tor over tor connexion, which is not recommanded.

Unless you use Tor over Tor, which is recommended against (https://www.whonix.org/wiki/DoNot#Prevent_Tor_over_Tor_scenarios.), there is no workaround. This is because connections to Tor hidden services stay within the Tor network. Therefore it's not possible to exit through a VPN in between.

Shit I think it's no way to fix the exit-node leak with tor.thx for your time