Not connected, Your IP: 18.217.60.35
Anonymous_13

[How-To] Using Asus router (RT-AC68U) with AirVPN

I recently bought an Asus router RT-AC68U to flash Tomato firmware as AirVPN offers a config generation for this. I had a few issues with that and noticed that Asus supports OpenVPN from scratch. I've tried it and it works flawless, no tomato is needed.

Difficulty: Very low

Time: 2 Minutes

Prerequisite:

- Asus Router (in my case it's a RT-AC68U but it should work for all asus routers that have OpenVPN support)

Steps:

1. Browse to https://airvpn.org/generator/ and select 'Router or others' and choose a server you like. Tick on 'Direct, protocol UDP, port 443' and click on 'Generate'. Save this openvpn config file anywhere on your computer.

2. Open the asus router webinterface and click on 'VPN'. Click on 'Add profile', choose OpenVPN. Enter a description, leave username and password EMPTY. Click on 'Browse' and select the downloaded openvpn config file. Click on upload. Click on OK. That's it now you can click on connect.

3. Visit https://ipleak.net and check if it works.

By default I have no dns leak. But in case you have you can setup the AirVPN DNS this way:

3b. Click on WAN tab. Turn DNS server off and enter either google's DNS 8.8.8.8 or AirVPN's DNS 10.4.0.1 or both as in the screenshot.

That's it. Every client which is connected to the router now is secured by VPN.

if you need more capability you should look into installing Merlin's version of the asus firmware.  he adds a few bells and whistles including openvpn client improvements.  more manual control is available as is policy routing.

Question to both.

I've just ordered an ASUS RT-AC3200. Once I setup the VPN connection to AirVPN is it possible to define some kind of rule on the router where some network devices will be directed over the AirVPN connection but others not?

I assume I have to pick a single server, not the UK as a whole for example ?

Also, what will Merlin firmware let me do that the standard firmware won't? The config on the RT-AC3200 looks very advanced even with Traffic Analysis.

Has anyone got port forwarding to work successfully with this router and AirVPN?  I'm trying to set plex up, but it can't connect.  When I turn off the VPN, the ports are forwarded fine on my router and then in AirVPN I have the local port pointing to 32400 and I'm using the other port as what I'm specifyinng in Plex.  However, more importantly no matterwhat i try to set upi, plex or not, nothing seems to be connecting.  I always get error 111 when trying to check it. 

Has anyone got port forwarding to work successfully with this router and AirVPN?  I'm trying to set plex up, but it can't connect.  When I turn off the VPN, the ports are forwarded fine on my router and then in AirVPN I have the local port pointing to 32400 and I'm using the other port as what I'm specifyinng in Plex.  However, more importantly no matterwhat i try to set upi, plex or not, nothing seems to be connecting.  I always get error 111 when trying to check it. 

just need to make sure....you are running VPN on the router?  the answer depends on that.

Yes, I'm running the VPN on the router itself. 

then this is the way you do it.

https://airvpn.org/topic/9270-how-to-forward-ports-in-dd-wrt-tomato-with-iptables/?hl=%2Biptables+%2Btomato+%2Bport

This doesn't apply to me as I am using the Merlin Firmware and not Tomato.  It has a graphical section for port forwarding, which I have set up correctly as far as I can see, and no access to an iptables config.

Yes, I'm running the VPN on the router itself. 

then this is the way you do it.

https://airvpn.org/topic/9270-how-to-forward-ports-in-dd-wrt-tomato-with-iptables/?hl=%2Biptables+%2Btomato+%2Bport

This doesn't apply to me as I am using the Merlin Firmware and not Tomato.  It has a graphical section for port forwarding, which I have set up correctly as far as I can see, and no access to an iptables config.

no, that is what you do.  SSH into the router and input the proper IPtables as that guide shows.

the router GUI forwards ports from the WAN to LAN.  When connected to VPN you must forward ports from TUN to LAN.

Thanks, that solced my port forwarding issue, but can you think of any reason off the top of your head why I would be taking a massive bandwidth hit?  I'm talking from a usual 60+ Mbps down to 10-15 Mbps.