Not connected, Your IP: 35.175.201.245
Zoe-cf1

ANSWERED HELP - Serious AirVPN DNS problem

Everything has been working OK and all of a sudden, ipleak doesn't resolve and other websites are reporting DNS leaks (see attached)

I'm having the same issues with other servers as well, iPleak has stopped working (DNS never comes up) and other sites show DNS leaks. This is on a clean install of OS X 10.10.3 + Airvpn 2.9.2. 

What has changed at AirVPN to cause ipleak not to work and DNS to leak?

Hello!

We're very sorry, our client Eddie can't run in OS X 10.3. It runs in Mavericks (10.9.x) and Yosemite (10.10.x). Previous OS X versions should run Tunnelblick (in your case, the proper version for 10.3, which is very old). Tunnelblick is free and open source as well.

Kind regards

Hi,

I'm running windows 7 and seem to be getting the same sort of results. DNS leak Test initially correctly shows the Netherlands AirVPN server I'm connected to (capture 1) then when I do the test it shows an Amazon server in Ireland (capture 2). IP/DNS detect won't show the second address and keeps showing the moving dots without resolving into and address (capture 3). What's My IPV6 shows the correct IP address (capture 4) and WebRTC is disabled in Firefox (capture 5). Finally, on top of all this I get the Untrusted connection for AirVPN site when connected via VPN (capture 6) and had to disconnect AirVPN to access this forum.

Can someone please help me as I am totally bewildered by all of this and am unsure if my DNS is leaking or not.

Regards

For the untrusted bit check your system/pc time.

@DNS

If you're using the air client just make sure the dns option and network lock are activated in the advanced settings.

I'm fairly sure dns gets offloaded to the amazon servers if the dns gets overtaxed. Try / test on different servers as well.

Hi, Getting the same sort of issues.........

Edit: I have tried various servers in different locations and they all show the same knd of results....Im baffled?

It makes no difference, same DNS leak results, again iPleak doesn't work at all. 

Tried it with Tunnelblick, for the time it worked it gave the same DNS leaks, I even did a clean install and installed the AirVPN client only (so pretty much a vanilla system) - same results. 

The conclusion then is that both on Mac & Windows, with AirVPN client & Tunnelblick there are DNS leaks, does this not point to a problem with AirVPN rather than user set up? 

Amazon IPs with AirVPN is NOT a DNS leak.

This has been asked multiple times, please read here:

https://airvpn.org/topic/10784-strange-dns-leak-entries/?p=14742

Those are the upstream DNS cache servers that Air uses on the VPN nodes.

Occasional moderator, sometimes BOFH. Opinions are my own, except when my wife disagrees.

... and IPleak not working or showing any DNS information? 

ipleak needs javascript for the dns check. If its still not showing up then what browser are you testing with?

Javascript has always been on, not working means that when connected via AirVPN the IPleak page takes an absolute age to load and often it just times out, if it does load the IP is shown but the DNS information never comes up - just those flashing bars across the page. This is a particularly problematic (but not exclusive) to the Netherlands servers. 

Javascript has always been on, not working means that when connected via AirVPN the IPleak page takes an absolute age to load and often it just times out, if it does load the IP is shown but the DNS information never comes up - just those flashing bars across the page. This is a particularly problematic (but not exclusive) to the Netherlands servers. 

It sounds like the server was overloaded or having some sort of issue. I have on occasion noticed that site being down. But its rare. However I've never noticed issues with specific servers. That doesn't mean its not possible - but it also doesn't mean its not a simple browser caching issue or some other caching oddity on the system.

Either way its really not the end of the world as there's always other options for testing:

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

http://entropy.dns-oarc.net/test/

https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm -> Initiate the test at the bottom of the page.

And the dns results you posted are not leaks.

A. if its inside the tunnel its not a leak.

-even if you were using your isp's dns and they were showing up on the results - if its inside the tunnel its still not a leak. Its just a poorly setup machine.

B. amazon dns servers are for failover.

Imo grab some beers and order a pizza, surf on.